Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 17-23 DEC 2012 (Read 301 times)

Peeps rolling some miles for springtime marathons!

SForrester 54.7 mi
    CarolinaBlue 54.2 mi
    amlinz 50.2 mi
    theyapper66  45.2 mi
    CS_2013Tobacco 44.5 mi
    CliveF  37.1 mi
    old-runner 30.1 mi
    Pete.Hu 25.3 mi
    Happyfeet 22.2 mi
    Lpadg 20.6 mi
    fraggle 20.3 mi
    TWHgal 18.9 mi
    Tar Heel Mom 17.9 mi
    nanxin 13.0 mi
    jdbrown 11.7 mi
    aponi 11.7 mi

Races and whatnot:

<colgroup><col width="80" /> <col width="78" /> <col width="175" /> <col width="39" /> <col width="148" /> <col width="88" /> <col width="58" /> </colgroup>
    RUNNER DATE RACE DIST LOCATION GOAL RESULT
    Last week:            

This week:            
    CliveF 22-Dec-12 Mt. Mourne Christmas Elf 5k Mt. Mourne NC PR (<19:28) 19:26, 16OA, 2AG
    old-runner 22-Dec-12 Mt. Mourne Christmas Elf 5k Mt. Mourne NC <22:00 21:30, 28OA, 3AG

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

old-runner

Clive... I'll be at Mount Mourne too. Put me down for sub-22 minutes. That's about as good as I can hope for right now. No PRs in the immediate future! Let's hope we don't have to run 3.4 miles to reach the finish line this year!

aponi

never runs the tangents

I actually snuck in a run today without getting soaked. Given the rain all night long I didn't thnk that was going to happen.

Also maybe I should get better about uploading my watch. I didn't get as much running in this week as I planned but I did a little more than 3 miles

Embarrassed

“Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!” Doctor Who

Clive is pretty prompt at tallying the mileage, if it's not logged by Sunday night, the run did not happen.  

Had a miserable 10 miler today (I am burning some vacation time left).  Felt good when I opened up for a 8 min mile at the end.  My plan to run slower to run more may have to be thrown out, but I need a different plan/method to break out of the plateau I've been in for 3 years.

First week of pfitzinger 18/70 for me.. 17 more to go!

Also maybe I should get better about uploading my watch. I didn't get as much running in this week as I planned but I did a little more than 3 miles

Embarrassed

Hey, shoot me a PM with updated totals and I'll make it "official". Approve

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Please do post how things go for you on this plan -- I'm interested in how Pfitzinger programs shake out for people.

-- Dick LeBeau

Run Long, and Prosper!

Carolina Blue - in response to your question last week: yes, it was prednisone and only a 6 day blast. Finished the presription over the weekend and am going to test out the knee today.

"Leave all the afternoon for exercise and recreation, which are as necessary as reading. I will rather say more necessary because health is worth more than learning."

- Thomas Jefferson

TWHgal

Wannabe runner

I'm also curious about this plan.  I may attempt my first road marathon in Nov.  I've completed a trail marathon and trail ultra but the thoughts of a road marathon scare me to death.  I've spent the last month looking at marathon plans.  I'm just not ready to pull the trigger yet.

Joe- hope the Prednisone works for your knee.  It worked great for my hip flexor problems a couple years ago.

Cindy 

Carolina Blue - in response to your question last week: yes, it was prednisone and only a 6 day blast. Finished the presription over the weekend and am going to test out the knee today.

Joe, you won't encounter any side effects using prednisone over a 6 day period (but if they put on that for a longer period of time get back and I can relate my encounters as I was on it for three months to deal with one thing and then several months later for 10 weeks to deal with an entirely different issue).

Clive, I notice that Cliff has you doing these plyometric workouts. Its one thing to do plyometrics (or weight training, or form drills) as something ancillary to running. But according to your log, these appear to be something that is primary in your plan (in addition to your long run). Why? Its not like that your training to race 100 meters with the highest vertical hop, or race 100m with the least number of hops? Normally this type of work is supplemental to your running? Is your plan to continue these workouts as a primary emphasis for the remainder of the month and then what? Because if you don't continue this work, assuming at a reduced volume, you basically lose all of the strength gains -- similar to why if your lifting in season you should not stop lifting during the taper phase because you'll lose all of that strength pretty quickly.

Rob

Clive, I notice that Cliff has you doing these plyometric workouts. Its one thing to do plyometrics (or weight training, or form drills) as something ancillary to running. But according to your log, these appear to be something that is primary in your plan (in addition to your long run). Why? Its not like that your training to race 100 meters with the highest vertical hop, or race 100m with the least number of hops? Normally this type of work is supplemental to your running? Is your plan to continue these workouts as a primary emphasis for the remainder of the month and then what? Because if you don't continue this work, assuming at a reduced volume, you basically lose all of the strength gains -- similar to why if your lifting in season you should not stop lifting during the taper phase because you'll lose all of that strength pretty quickly.

Rob, I guess it does appear that way in my log.  The approach over DEC-FEB is to (a) build base and (b) weave in the plyometrics and strength training.  Given my less-than-entirely-reliable Achilles tendons, we're bringing volume down a bit as the plyometric stuff is introduced, to minimize the risk of injury.  So through DEC, it's high 30s to mid-40s per week with 2 plyo sessions, then we'll start bringing the mileage back up into the 50s while retaining a supplemental plyo set per week (and probably a strength training session, too).

The idea of the plyo/strength stuff is to increase my power/ballistic aspect.  My cadence is still on the slow side (~170 now, up from ~145 before I started working on it), and I'm contacting the ground in every picture of me running.  I want more "pop" in the stride.

-- Dick LeBeau

Please do post how things go for you on this plan -- I'm interested in how Pfitzinger programs shake out for people.

Ok..I will.   I can already tell it's going to take a lot of dedication to get these "medium-long" (11-15 mile) weekday runs into my schedule.  I counted 22 of these runs in the 18 week schedule!  

For all of those interested, there is a raging debate going on in the general forum of the Hansons vs. Pfitzinger marathon programs (similar to the raging debate here w/regard to Clive's workout plan).

Cliff, nice artistic touch with the weekly mileage total and upcoming races (although in my browser, Firefox, I actually see written code just above the upcoming race table. One suggestion is to include a column for "Age Graded Result" to the right of "Result". I know that this is near and dear to Richard, but I noticed that Lynwood has imbibed the Age Grade kool aid.

Rob

theyapper

On the road again...

Ok..I will.   I can already tell it's going to take a lot of dedication to get these "medium-long" (11-15 mile) weekday runs into my schedule.  I counted 22 of these runs in the 18 week schedule!  

I'm following a training program right now for my spring marathon and you're absolutely right.  As the mid-week runs have gotten longer, it's become a greater issue of dedication.  I've done them, but the motivation hasn't been there (and scheduling them has become a nightmare, too).

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

I used Pfitz's 18/55 back in 2010 for Twin Cities.  I have to say, I thought the midweek medium-long runs were really helpful.  It was a PITA getting up early enough to get them done and make it into work on time, though ... but then again, I beat the summer heat by doing so.

-- Dick LeBeau