Happyfeet 20.0 mi
    theyapper66 16.2 mi
    Lpadg 15.6 mi
    jdbrown 13.1 mi
    alholley 5.8 mi
    fraggle 5.4 mi
    ChakaKahn 1.0 mi

Last weeks' races, events and moments of significance:
    • old-runner -- 11MAR2012 -- Sarasota HM (Sarasota FL) -- Goal = undefined.  RESULT = 1:35:15

This weeks' races, events and moments of significance:

• CliveF -- 17MAR2012 -- Angels 5k (H'ville NC) -- Goal = (A) find a darker place; (B) bring sexy back.  RESULT = 20:44
    • CliveF -- 17MAR2012 -- Terry Fox Run (Davidson NC) -- Goal = raise money, honor my family peeps who [have battled/are battling] cancer.  RESULT = money raised, peeps honored
    • nanxin -- 18MAR2012 -- Tobacco Road Marathon (Cary NC) -- Goal = 3:15.  RESULT = 3:21:45
    • old-runner -- 18MAR2012 -- Run for Tom 5k (Salisbury NC) -- (Sandbagging) Goal = sub-22.    RESULT = 21:37-ish

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

In terms of last week's moments of great significance, did Richard attain (earn) his RRCA Coaching certificate?

Clive/Cliff --> your doubling this weekend in terms of racing?

Rob

Rob, the Terry Fox Run is just a run, not a race, started after Fox had to abort his Marathon of Hope and before he died nine months later.  Over 600 TFRs are held each year around the globe, but I think this is the first (only) one in the US (this year, anyway).

Although I have contemplated doing the Leprechaun Loop 8k in Davidson that evening (the first of Summit Coffee's twilight race series).  But that'd probably be stupid, so I'll likely volunteer instead.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

old-runner

In terms of last week's moments of great significance, did Richard attain (earn) his RRCA Coaching certificate?

Clive/Cliff --> your doubling this weekend in terms of racing?

It's not quite that automatic. I learned a lot of good stuff though. I've got some other things that I'll have to do over the next 30-60 days to get certified. I was happy to learn that I could use what works for me since I like to kind of keep things simple. The RRCA has standards and guidelines to go by but what I would do fits into that.

nanxin

18 weeks after my first marathon (Thunder Road), I didn't feel much improvement, I ran around 8 minutes pace 20 miles long run 2 weeks ago, I hope that meaned that I returned at least to the fitness level before the Thunder Road Marathon, but who knows. As for the goal, the original one is 3:15:00, which is my BQ time and 4 minutes PR from Thunder Road. So I think I would keep it still as the goal, weather I get there or not, I will take a break after it and then return to Marathon training in the fall. So here it is:

nanxin -- 18MAR2012 -- Tobacco Road Marathon (Cary NC) -- Goal = 3:15:00.

Scheduled Races:

Tokyo Marathon (March 2020) 

Boston Marathon (April 2020)

Han, many times coming into a race, low expectations take pressure off.  You may well surprise yourself!  If you click off the miles with the same robotic consistency as you did in that ten-miler, you'll be pleased with the result.  Is the injury healed?

-- Dick LeBeau

nanxin

I bought 2 pairs of insoles after I hurt my heel, the damage is really not from the heel but from the 3 weeks low mileage during the training, now I can run 20 miles with minimum pain from heel, but I did feel my running form was changed since the fear of pain on the heel. I will take a break after the marathon to let it heal completely.

I hope the low expectation will help, thanks Smile. But on other note, most of time you get rewarded with hard work only.

Scheduled Races:

Tokyo Marathon (March 2020) 

Boston Marathon (April 2020)

rossruns

Good luck, Han!  Cliff, those are the kind of racing goals I can get behind.

In other news, the spring weather recently has been pleasant for yardwork, but is getting way too hot for my tempo runs.  I like running during my lunchbreak at work (we have shower facilities I can use after to ensure the rest of the office doesn't regret it!) but I'm going to have to go back to early-morning runs if it stays in the 70+ degree range much longer...

Ross,

in 8 weeks when its 80's/90's in the afternoon and 70's in the morning...what are you going to do (there is nowhere to retreat to in terms of finding cooler weather, unless you go indoors on a treadmill in an A/C gym)? This is the south??

As a fyi for everyone, the very fast Young Life 5k is this Sunday...its two laps around the speedway track and thus it is an optimal setting (better than a track because there are less curves to negotiate as the "track" is 1.5 miles and the turns are banked).

Rob

rossruns

Ross,

in 8 weeks when its 80's/90's in the afternoon and 70's in the morning...what are you going to do (there is nowhere to retreat to in terms of finding cooler weather, unless you go indoors on a treadmill in an A/C gym)? This is the south??

Of course you're absolutely right.  Just my knee-jerk reaction to finally needing to start carrying water with me on my tempo runs. I'll get a chance to appreciate the current weather when I'm in India in a couple weeks and am dealing with 95 degree, 50% humidity days.  (Good thing the hotel there has a gym w/ treadmills!)

This weeks' races, events and moments of significance:

• CliveF -- 17MAR2012 -- Angels 5k (H'ville NC) -- Goal = (A) find a darker place; (B) bring sexy back.
                        • CliveF -- 17MAR2012 -- Terry Fox Run (Davidson NC) -- Goal = raise money, honor my family peeps who [have battled/are battling] cancer

Well, the race was ... interesting.  Nice course, great execution by the organizers.  Hot and humid, with no cooling breeze.  Ran my race, ran my pace, got progressively more nauseous and finally threw up about 3.5km into the deal.  That may or may not be the "darker place", but I'm pretty sure it didn't bring sexy back.

A large group of HS-age boys were manning a water station just before 3km.  I was running in 9th place then and was either (a) the first person to try to take water from them, or (b) at least, the first to do it successfully.  As I approached, they seemed very enthusiastic about handing off water -- 6 or 8 of them lined up for just me (no one really around me at that point).  The first kid and I executed a simply perfect exchange: fairly large cup, pretty full, grabbed the top, rubber arm, and not a drop spilled.  The group just erupted with cheers.  They wandered over midway through the awards presentations.  When my name was called, they erupted again with big cheers for me by name.  Everyone's looking at me like, "Who's that guy and why is everyone cheering for him?"   Good times.

[Edited because ... I missed my period. Surprised]

-- Dick LeBeau

old-runner

Good job Clive Fenster! Nice Top 10 finish! No wonder you threw up at 35km ... wasn't it a 5k race? You're supposed to stop the first time around!

Put me down for the Run for Tom 5k in Salisbury at 2:00 this afternoon. I've now officially gained back all of the 10 pounds that I lost last summer and with that in mind will undoubtedly be about a minute slower until I'm able to drop that 10 pounds again. The best I can hope for in a 5k is to finish under 22 minutes.

On the bright side, if I finish in over 22 minutes it might jostle me back to reality and get me back on track!

old-runner

Bahahaha... I do wish I could attribute my low expectations to sandbagging. Unfortunately I'm just being realistic, and it's not hard to figure out that if I improved my 5k time by a minute when I lost 10 pounds last year I would add that minute back on if I gained the 10 pounds back this year, and that's exactly what happened. When I was in the 138- to 140-pound range I was right around 20:30 on the 5k's and now I'm back up to 148, which I'm not thrilled over but unless my skill has increased drastically (which ain't likely) I've lost 2 seconds per mile per pound that I gained back.

The official results for the 5k I ran today won't be online for a day or two but my Garmin said my time was 21:37. I think the official time might be a few seconds faster but it's just about what I expected. Now if I can just lose those extra pounds.