Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 25JUN-01JUL2012 (Read 220 times)

Last full week of June, and this is how we filled it:

Pete.Hu 64.4 mi
    ChakaKahn 50 mi
    amlinz 36 mi
    old-runner 35.4 mi
    Happyfeet 34 mi
    nanxin 23.7 mi
    CarolinaBlue 20 mi
    Lpadg 16.5 mi
    theyapper66 15.5 mi
    CliveF 10.4 mi
    SForrester 9.5 mi
    fraggle 8.6 mi
    rossruns 3.8 mi
    atomno2 3 mi

RACES:

RUNNER DATE RACE LOCATION DIST GOAL RESULT
    Last week:            
    old-runner 23JUN2012 Summer Breeze Charlotte NC  5k  sub-22:00 21:02 (76.3%)

This week:            

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Rob -- I tweaked my right upper quad the day before China Grove.  It was fine until the finishing kick, made itself known, but didn't feel like I did any damage.  It's been faintly tight since.  Then it went completely OFF during some innocuous striders last TUE.  Felt like a pulled muscle, not that I have much experience with that. (Clive)

Cliff,

you should tell Clive that what he has is a classic quad strain/pull. Any type of speed work will make it worse. So when he put on that finishing kick, that was when it went to "code red". And the striders he did would make it worse. Which quad muscle is it (lateral, middle or medial)? If its upper, is the pain radiate up to the hip area (hip flexor or to lateral side)? I would not do any quad work (i.e., lunges, quad lifts), stretch and ice it religiously. When your able to progress back, I would not do any striders or hill work until week 3 or 4 (and try to run on flat courses the first week to ten days).

Rob

I guess the speed work is catching up to me, but I too have some kind of quad issue going on. Sitting or standing stll makes it painful to move (leg locks up), don't feel anything while running, but sometimes the leg just just buckles while starting to move not sure what's going on.

Richard,

what happened to your training plan in your calendar? Have you gone underground w/your training plan? Also, we see your doing weights -- what type of weights are you doing? Inquiring minds want to know.

Rob

old-runner

Cliff,

you should tell Clive that what he has is a classic quad strain/pull. 

Rob... You might need to tell Clive that yourself. I heard that he and Cliff have been feuding and they're not on speaking terms right now.

As for my training plan, I might just go back to running how I had been running before, figuring out day-to-day what I need to do. I feel a little bogged down by all of that plan stuff. By the time I do speed work with the group on Tuesday, a medium-long run on Wednesday (8 miles), a race on Saturday, and a relatively long run (10-12 miles) on Sunday it's not too difficult to just fill in the blanks for the other days as I go along.

My weight program consists of two 15-pound dumbbells that I use not nearly as much as I should. 

old-runner

I guess the speed work is catching up to me, but I too have some kind of quad issue going on. Sitting or standing stll makes it painful to move (leg locks up), don't feel anything while running, but sometimes the leg just just buckles while starting to move not sure what's going on.

Shashi... I hope you're able to keep up the speed work on Tuesdays. You did great last week. 

I am guessing a mild strain of adductor musle,which was tight for a while, exacerbated by cross legged squatting for an hour for a religious ceremony. So far it does not hurt to run, like to keep it that way by avoiding hills for a while

Happyfeet -- I'd avoid the track if you've got an adductor issue.  Running the curves at speed can stress it pretty good.

Rob -- thanks for the advice, which I passed along to Cliff.  Ran 6 yesterday at dinnertime yesterday; not bad, but not yet 100%.  What a drag it is, getting old.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

theyapper

On the road again...

Looks like a couple of really nice running days, weather-wise, today and tomorrow.  Just put in a little over 4 miles on a progression run that felt surprisingly easy.  Low temps and no humidity play into that a lot.  Supposed to be in the low 50s in the morning.  Can't wait to run in that.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Are any of you guys doing the Firecracker 5K (July3rd)  or the July 4th 4 miler next week ( I know Richard is doing the 5K).  The 5K is likely to be hot at 7 PM, but I also don't want to race 4 miles if I can get away with 3.1

Do you mean the rebranded "Freedom Run & Ride" (8AM on SAT, 07JUL2012 at the Huntersville Family Fitness & Aquatics Center)?

Unfortunately, no -- (a) I'll be out of town, and (b) I'm not risking my quad for a while.

-- Dick LeBeau

No I meant the firecracker 5K in providence - https://charlottefirecracker5k.racesonline.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=site.display&page_id=4836

The HFFA run was my backup plan.  If my quads are still not 100 % I may just skip all these anyway ( I got that mileage challenge remember?).

The Firecracker 5k (in the Olde Providence neighborhood in Charlotte) is "down the hill" on Colony fr the South Pk mall. Assuming its the same course, there are a couple  of steep inclines and the finish is along the driveway of a country club that has some speed bumps you need to be aware of and avoid. I ran along that course last year in one of my runs (if you want to get a look at it and/or elevation hit me back and I'll try to flag it). Last year the day of the race was as a hot as it is forecast for this weekend so it was very toasty at the 7pm start. On the plus side, the finish was at the country club and they allowed everyone the use of the pool to splash in and cool down post race (if one "heat graded" this race, Richard would run it in long sleeves and then, of course, would be wearing his trusty t-shirt in the pool).

Rob

theyapper

On the road again...

Been quiet in here this week.  Hope everyone's being smart about running in these temps.  I got out early this morning and finished my long run as the sun was popping up.

Race well if you're racing this weekend!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

old-runner

No race for me this weekend and I'm bouncing off the walls! Can't stand not racing on Saturday morning! The closest race was over 50 miles away so I just decided to stay home and get some stuff done. Worked in the yard yesterday and got stung by a yellow jacket... I HATE WHEN THAT HAPPENS!!!

Sorry, i was out of control there for a moment. Anyhoo, I couldn't sleep and got up at 3:30 in the morning and put on some coveralls, boots, long gloves, glasses, and one of those thingies you wear on your head in the really cold weather so no skin was exposed. I emptied out a wide-mouth pickle jar and poured about a quart of gasoline in the jar and headed out the door for a little bit of early morning payback. Oh yeah... Vengeance is mine, saith the Old Runner.