Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 2/23 (Read 226 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

Sorry I missed the thread for last week, but it looks like everyone's doing great. Last week was my second 30 mile week in a row, and this week likely will be a bit less due to life and stuff. I'm hoping to get 20-25 which will get me well over 100 for the month. Have a great week, everyone!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Hey Guys, Well, last week was a recovery week after the Myrtle Beach half. I took Sunday and Monday off, and then rode the indoor bike trainer for 40 minutes on Tuesday. That is definitely a big recovery for me. So, I ran 8 miles on Wednesday and the legs felt good. However, 4.5 miles into another 8 miler on Thursday, and I started to feel a sharp(ish) pain in my left hamstring. I slowed down (not that I was running remotely hard anyway) and managed to make it close to home where I walked it in. I took Friday off, but still couldn't run on Saturday (tried on the treadmill, but made it less than 10 minutes) So I biked yesterday in nasty winds, and will take today completely off. So far the leg is feeling good. I guess it's a mild strain. Not what I want 8 weeks out from Boston. So, this will be another easy week but I'd like to run a very easy 5 on the TM tomorrow with any luck.
        I might have pushed a bit hard on the miles over the last month, went from 30 MPW to about 45 MPW and my hamstrings and feet are starting to complain, so backed off last week. Will try with another 45 Miles this week and see how I hold up. The hot/cold weather is making me very cranky as well Smile.
        theyapper

On the road again...

Docster - sorry to hear about your hammie. Hope it gets better soon. I noticed that you did/do the Low HR training, is that right? I'm quasi trying that method, too, but I got very frustrated trying to keep my HR down. It seemed that I was walking all the time just to keep it from going too high, and that was when I was running slow already. It's probably not the best idea, but what I took from it was that I really need to run slower and build up my aerobic system. To this point, I have been able to keep my AHR for each run within 10 or so beats above what would be my MAF. Reading about your progress over the past 2 years or so gave me some incentive to try to run at MAF or lower today, and since it's a slow recovery run anyway, I think I'll give it a shot and see what happens. At the very least, maybe I can end a run with my AHR in the 140s.

Paul

Docster - sorry to hear about your hammie. Hope it gets better soon. I noticed that you did/do the Low HR training, is that right? I'm quasi trying that method, too, but I got very frustrated trying to keep my HR down. It seemed that I was walking all the time just to keep it from going too high, and that was when I was running slow already. It's probably not the best idea, but what I took from it was that I really need to run slower and build up my aerobic system. To this point, I have been able to keep my AHR for each run within 10 or so beats above what would be my MAF. Reading about your progress over the past 2 years or so gave me some incentive to try to run at MAF or lower today, and since it's a slow recovery run anyway, I think I'll give it a shot and see what happens. At the very least, maybe I can end a run with my AHR in the 140s.
            It takes patience. Many people get frustrated. It might take months. However running well into 150's every run certainly isn't a way to improve. (per se) Even elite runners who run 120 miles a week run 90+ of them at a comfortable pace. For them that happens to be much faster than us. Smile It's easy to build the anaerobic system (you can improve it fairly well in as little as 6 weeks with only 1 or 2 sessions a week). However, the aerobic system builds up over years, not weeks. Read the FAQ I posted in the other thread. On a personal note, I see quite a few runners on the greenway during our long runs blowing by me and my "easy" pace. Then on marathon day they are far behind me. Their training pace is actually very close to marathon pace. My marathon pace is much faster as I run a lot of easy miles, while sprinkling in speedwork when I get a few months out from the race. (mostly 20 to 25 minute tempo runs) Great discussion we have going. I love it! Big grin
            theyapper

On the road again...

Good stuff here. I have read the FAQ in the other thread, and I started in January with every intention of doing the LHR training. I just ran out of patience, which isn't good, I know. According to the calculations, my MAF was 143, which is 180-age plus 5 for being active. I grew increasingly frustrated because it felt like I was "run-walk, stop-go" and I couldn't get any rhythm in my runs. I stopped after 3 runs due to increasing knee pain and the fact that running wasn't fun that way. Now, here's what I did take from that experience. Most of my runs were too fast, and so I made an intentional effort to slow down and run at what felt comfortable. I still wore the HRM and the Garmin, but I stopped looking at it during the runs. Instead, I'd check the data once I got through and I was pleased to find that running by feel was keeping my HR in the low 150s. Not MAF, for sure, but a whole lot better than when I was running faster. Today, I went out and intentionally ran 3 miles at MAF and was pleasantly surprised by how good it felt and the increase in pace (not by much, maybe 15 sec/mile pace faster) I've gained. I didn't feel like a slave to the HR, and didn't fear the occasional spike above the MAF level. I simply slowed a bit, breathed a bit deeper, and continued while it leveled back out to 143 or lower. I'm still shy of my first year of running (I'll finish my first year in April), and in a lot of ways I feel like I'm still starting out. Speed will come in time. Aerobic strength and endurance must come first.

Paul

Good stuff here. I have read the FAQ in the other thread, and I started in January with every intention of doing the LHR training. I just ran out of patience, which isn't good, I know. According to the calculations, my MAF was 143, which is 180-age plus 5 for being active. I grew increasingly frustrated because it felt like I was "run-walk, stop-go" and I couldn't get any rhythm in my runs. I stopped after 3 runs due to increasing knee pain and the fact that running wasn't fun that way. Now, here's what I did take from that experience. Most of my runs were too fast, and so I made an intentional effort to slow down and run at what felt comfortable. I still wore the HRM and the Garmin, but I stopped looking at it during the runs. Instead, I'd check the data once I got through and I was pleased to find that running by feel was keeping my HR in the low 150s. Not MAF, for sure, but a whole lot better than when I was running faster. Today, I went out and intentionally ran 3 miles at MAF and was pleasantly surprised by how good it felt and the increase in pace (not by much, maybe 15 sec/mile pace faster) I've gained. I didn't feel like a slave to the HR, and didn't fear the occasional spike above the MAF level. I simply slowed a bit, breathed a bit deeper, and continued while it leveled back out to 143 or lower. I'm still shy of my first year of running (I'll finish my first year in April), and in a lot of ways I feel like I'm still starting out. Speed will come in time. Aerobic strength and endurance must come first.
                Stick with it. You have a ton of improving left in you, I guarantee it. Smile If you stay with it, your paces will get faster and faster at the same HR. That's aerobic fitness for ya. You will also be able to run more miles with less chance of injury. Speedwork, while nice, does not come even close to simply running a greater volume of aerobic miles. (when it comes to improving race times, etc)
                theyapper

On the road again...

Slower paces really hurt my knee. Angry I did 2 easy miles with my wife, then another mile and a half as a LHR run. First mile was uphill and slowed my pace, but still in the 12's, and the last half was downhill and I ran 11:33/mile pace. Just got to get this knee thing figured out now.

Paul

It could definitely be an adjustment to stride length. Running slower creates less impact though, so that's kind of odd. Most people complain that their calves or another muscle hurts more when they slow down. I was going to run today, but hit the indoor bike again. I really want to let this hamstring rest before I ramp back up for Boston. It's hard to not run I tell ya.
                    theyapper

On the road again...

About a month ago I tried the MAF training my knee started to hurt. Only when I ran, seemed like it could have been IT stuff, so I took a week off, stretched a lot, and then started back wearing a knee sleeve. I've had no trouble with it again until this week when I started trying the slower paced MAF runs again. Now, slower pace is really only about 1 or 1.5 min/mile slower than I would normally train, so it's not a huge amount. But, the only thing consistent about the training between this time and last time the knee hurt is the slower MAF running. The MAF runs have been great this time, though. I ran a little over 4 miles today and averaged in the 11s for 3 of the miles, and the first mile I was almost in the 10s (of course, it was flat with some downhills that I took full advantage of!). So, other than the knee pain, this go @ the MAF running seems to be much more successful than the previous one which felt very unnatural.

Paul