Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 11/15/2010 (Read 203 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

Nice lot of running last week.  All double digit mileage, looks like our Fraggle is starting to get back in the swing of things after her marathon a couple of weeks ago.  Thunder Road is just around the corner and this is the last big week before the taper begins.  Here's to surviving it!  It was close last week, but CB gets the star!

NameDistance ▼Time
    CarolinaBlue 41 Mi 5:20:54
    CliveFenster 40.3 Mi 6:02:14
    Docster 39.8 Mi 5:34:14
    theyapper66  36.4 Mi 6:01:07
    cpaterun 32 Mi 5:01:37
    Lpadg 31.2 Mi 4:42:22
    ChakaKahn 23.7 Mi 2:16:57
    Happyfeet 23.1 Mi 3:31:04
    old-runner 17.1 Mi 2:31:59
    runslikeafraggle 13.9 Mi 2:27:03

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Are we there yet?

Alright, I officially start my training cycle for the next marathon.. 2/13 Alabama.. Let's get this party started!!!!

old-runner

Haha... love the video!

Good luck in the marathon... Mercedes Marathon in Birmingham I presume? I haven't run that (and won't of course) but ran the Vulcan Run in Birmingham and it's a great place for a race.

I hit 36 for an all time high as I ran 5 late yesterday. Four weeks in the 30's for me is a first also. I would guess I should have an easier week. Maybe 25 or keep on with the 30's? Shooting for 38. I do feel good.
          theyapper

On the road again...

Nice week, Lynwood.  Sorry I missed that last run when I posted the totals. Wink

Paul

Are we there yet?

Haha... love the video!

Good luck in the marathon... Mercedes Marathon in Birmingham I presume? I haven't run that (and won't of course) but ran the Vulcan Run in Birmingham and it's a great place for a race.

Yeah Mercedes.. it is.. quest for 50..

I heard they give you a finsihers medal that is a mercedes Benz hood ornament.. prep me for my Ludacris video auditions Smile

No problem Paul. You beat me as usual! Ha. I was wondering if y'all add the easy week in every so often?

I don't plan on an easy week, it just happens (more often than I like to), mostly because of travel or birthdays and other "life" stuff.  

theyapper

On the road again...

Last week was a cutback week for me, so I guess that was an easy week.  A year ago I would have laughed if you'd have told me that 36 miles would be a cutback.

Paul

under a rock

I'm starting to get a bit more mileage but have been having IT band issues in my right knee now if I go past 5 miles. This pain is different than the other IT band. It's very sharp and localized and comes on with no warning, the other gets tight feeling before an ache over the whole side of my knee starts. 

I managed to see my Ortho and a PT today. Ortho said it feels different than my IT band problems that I have on my other knee because it's a different version, only includes the knee joint and not the hip like the left. Going to do PT 1-2 days a week for the IT band and my lower back. The PT said my SI joint on the right is locked up and it could be the base cause of all my imbalances, I have lower back pain off and on quite a bit on my right side. Hopefully they can get my IT bands stretched better than I can and get my muscles all balanced out. The PT wants to work my core more as well since I'm a trail runner.

My Ortho was not bothered by my Vibrams, in fact he really liked them. He agrees that form plays a big role in my IT band problems. The more you overstride the more out of alignment your IT band gets. So shorter stride equals less excess movement and pronation.

Best news is both agree I can continue to run. I just have to keep it under 5 miles or whatever distance doesn't hurt. Both also think they can have me back to HM form in no time as long as nothing else pops up.

theyapper

On the road again...

Sorry to hear about the IT issues, Ashley, but good that you can still run some.

Did an easy 10 miles today.

Paul

Just plugging away here, trying to build a good base for next year and beyond.

Frags -- sorry to hear the other ITB is complaining.  It's really great that you ahve folks who can properly identify problems and start you on the path to getting them managed/eliminated.  Let me know what sorts of things they tell you to do for the SIJD, as I've been having some troubles in that exact spot these days.

Lynwood -- nice week!  I'm glad to see you're buying into the whole "mileage helps" theory. Big grin  As for cutback weeks, I plan mine as part of the overall training plan.  I'm kind of militant (OCD?) about hitting what I've got scheduled, so I put the cutbacks in to make sure I have a stretch of (relatively) lesser workload.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

ITB and knee issues are scary.  After my recent HM, on my easy run, I had sharp pain on the sides of my knees, and I was thinking that it might be early warning of IT Band issues. Thankfully a few painful sessions with a foam roller seems to have worked the kinks out.  My latest worry is PF.

Ashley sure hope you find a quick resolution to your problem.

under a rock

I stretch and foam roll a lot. I have been slack on the roller lately but to be honest it's really not that painful to use it. I have a hard time getting a good stretch most of the time because I'm freakishly flexible and I think I just need some guidance on getting a better stretch. I do admit that both my IT bands do feel tighter since the marathon and getting a stretch is easier than before but at some point I'll get it loosened up enough that I won't be able to manipulate it any more without another person to assist.

Clive, I'll let you know what she has me do for my SI. I'm curious what she will do since that area has been tight for years, over 10, due to an old horse riding accident.

The PT also noticed that my right calf was less flexible. I then pointed out my see-saw injury from my teen years that may be the cause. I was on a see-saw when the person on the other end jumped off with no warning sending me plummeting to the ground and lodging the seat edge into the lower part of my calf muscle. I still have a dent after 20+ years.

I'm clearly an accident waiting to happen. Don't anyone tell my insurace company!

old-runner

Ashley... Sorry to hear about all the problems but it sounds like you've got enough experts helping that maybe they can get you straightened out. Hope that's the case!