Charlotte, NC area runners

Welcome to our newest members! INTRODUCE YOURSELF! (Read 794 times)

Hi Chris, good to have you!  At least a couple of the folks here are in the Gastonia area, so maybe there's some meet-up potential ...

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Hi Chris, welcome to the RA group.  I am pretty sure we ran into each other on our runs.  We have a fairly active running group in Gastonia/Belmont now of which Old-Runner, me and a few others in this group are members. Are you a member of the Gaston County runners facebook group?  

If not, here's some info about some runs.  Richard (old runner) leads a group run Sunday afternoon, and we are planning a track workout for Wednesday at South Point High once the clocks move forward next week.  We also have fairly regular trail runs at Crowders on Sat/sundays.

cnbaucom

We may indeed have crossed paths at some of the races. I did a few of the local (Gaston) road 5k's in the spring.

Might have to look into the South Point track thing. I do much of my training on the trails, fields, and track at Belmont Abbey. SPHS would be a little closer to home for track workouts. (I was a soccer coach there for a few years.)

I try to get over to Crowders occasionally, but it's a pretty long haul so doesn't happen very often. I also try to hit the trails at the Whitewater Center at least once a week for a little more technical terrain than the Abbey has to offer.

Happy trails,

Chris

old-runner

Hi Chris... Thanks for joining us! I'm not a trail guy at all but quite a few of the other Gaston County Runners (GCR) love the trails. As Happyfeet said, if you're on Facebook you should join us on there. That's where we organize all of the runs and stay in touch. Here's the address...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Gastoncountyrunners/

One of the guys in the group, Patrick Green, is a former Marine and he loves the trails. He started a Gaston County trail running group on Facebook but I'm not a member and don't know the address. You could ask in there if you're interested in it. 

We'll kind of loosely get together and run the same races a lot of times. A couple weeks ago quite a few of the GCR went down and ran the Myrtle Beach Marathon (or the half) and some of us met up last week at the 5k in Shelby. 

Happyfeet (Shashi) mentioned we've got several group runs. They've been sporadic over the winter but we'll be starting those back up on a regular basis in the next couple of weeks with Daylight Savings Time coming this weekend.

We try to break up into different paces anywhere from maybe 7 minutes to 12 minutes. Hope you'll join us when you can! 

cnbaucom

Thanks Richard. Sent a FB request and I see a few people that I know on the list, which is nice.

Happy trails,

Chris

under a rock

Hi, Chris! I'm a huge fan of trail running and live in Gastonia. I'm part of Gaston County trail runners fb group as well. If you haven't been to Poston Park in Lowell, then you need to. I like them much better than USNWC and it's an easier drive than getting to the crowders and kings mtn trails. I'm not around much right now due to recovering from a calf strain but hopefully I'll be back running with Patrick and the rest this spring.

cnbaucom

Thanks for the link. I joined the trail group as well. Will be interesting to see what my trail running neighbors are up to.

Happy trails,

Chris

Run Long, and Prosper!

Hi all, I'm Joe and a RW refugee.  I actually live in Raleigh but it appears the Raleigh area user group has been dead for a while, hope you don't mind me jumping in with you. My favorite place to run is near Albamarle in the Uwharrie National Forrest.

"Leave all the afternoon for exercise and recreation, which are as necessary as reading. I will rather say more necessary because health is worth more than learning."

- Thomas Jefferson

Welcome aboard!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

theyapper

On the road again...

Welcome, Joe!  I'm near Albemarle - lots of good running over here for sure.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Tar Heel Mom

kween

HI, I am a refugee from RW and I live in the Cotswold area. I run around there usually. Long runs down to Sugar Creek Greenway.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

Welcome.  

I am in Gastonia, but moving to Ballantyne in April/May so might run on the Sugar Creek then, how long is that Greenway?

Tar Heel Mom

kween

Sugar Creek is about 3.5 from CPCC to Park Rd.

In Ballantyne, you will be closer to the Four-Mile Creek Greenway , which is NOT 4 miles long. It meets up with another Greenway (McMullen Creek maybe) and is a total of 5.75 miles. One end is in Ballantyne, I think. The other is in Piper Glen across from Trader Joe's.

Is there much activity in this User Group?

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

We are not really a chatty bunch in here, Clive does a weekly recap, and folks report their weekend races and Rob (Carolina Blue) gives his unsolicited critique Smile of the race.  We just don't have the numbers to keep up a conversation, Gastonia folks use Facebook and the other Charlotte runners probably do so as well for their socializing.