Charlotte, NC area runners

Week Ending 22APR2012 (Read 190 times)

Brightroom seems to have shuffled the order.  Let's try it this way:

• Picture #98436-053-009 = just a few meters from the finish mats.
    • Picture #98436-146-006 = about 400m from the finish, about to break Ryan's youthful heart.
    • Picture #98436-213-024 = about 1.5mi into the race, having just come up a hill and made about a thousand sharp turns.

Looking back, the ridiculers may well have been referring to my shorts, the latter brazenly and imprudently permitting exposure of my thighs.  Given their age, I'm sure they've only seen actual running shorts in grainy photos of relics like Rodgers, Salazar and Hall.

Your comment regarding singlet length is not well taken.  Back in my day, my lad, we tucked our vests into our shorts, and then we raced to the grinding symphony of long spikes finding purchase in cinders.  In these modern time, just you try and find a singlet of proper length.  Why didn't I tuck it in, as I always do?  Chalk it up as yet another sign of the decay of our civilization.

The Kayanos and I had a torrid affair, but it's been over for some time now.  They were so controlling, I felt like they didn't trust me enough to let me do anything for myself.  I'm in an open relationship with some 890s and Glycerins now, and we're even thinking of inviting some Pure Cadences into our fold for short runs, tempos, more ... ?  Don't tell my parents, though -- they just aren't ready to hear about that sort of thing.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

rossruns

Folks,

I subscribe to the Runner's World daily running quote, and really liked the one from today:

"Running is not, as it so often seems, only about what you did in your last race or about how many miles you ran last week. It is, in a much more important way, about community, about appreciating all the miles run by other runners, too."  - Richard O'Brien

I just wanted to tell you that I love the fact that we have the group here on RA that so actively follows the efforts and experiences of our fellow runners.  Even though running may feel like a solo sport when you're out there pounding the pavement, it's folks like you all that help remind me how much the community can provide support and interest to keep going all the way across the finish line.  Thanks for that...

Shashi, looks like we run the same. Passed on the hills, catch up on the downhill. 

Nice race and report Clive. 

Ross. Great run and quote.  Well said.

old-runner

We had some racing going on this weekend. Shashi and I both ran the Cherry Blossom 5k in Cherryville Friday night and I ran the Bulldog 5k in Charlotte Saturday morning.

It's been a long time since I've been over 22 minutes but I came close in Cherryville with a 21:57 although I was 7th overall out of 111 runners.

I redeemed myself a little bit at the Bulldog 5k with a time of about 21:20 (37 seconds faster) and was 24th out of about 500 runners (haven't seen official results posted yet). Disappointed I can't break 21:00 these days... must be getting old... or fat... or both.

Big news from our group is the amlinz (Aaron Linz) ran both the Town and Country 5k in Waxhaw on Friday night then the Bulldog 5k on Saturday morning and was 1st place overall in both of them! Must be nice to get two wins in 2 days! I don't think he actually reads these group messages but we'll claim him as long as he's still a member! I asked him this morning if he's ever won two in a weekend before and he said he also did it last October. He's a fast dude for sure!

Worst race of my less than mediocre running career.  Walked for the first time ever in a 5K race. Last walk was within a quarter mile of the finish.  Atleast 90 seconds off what I thought I could run.

Was sore from a fitness assessment Thursday evening, was not sure if I could run the race so ran a bit in the morning. That combined with 80 degree temps on minimally shaded course and an idiotic mile split of 6:5X meant going past my redline at mile 1.5 on the uphill return.  Maybe I was just looking for excuses for wimping out on my first 5K in 18 months.