Charlotte, NC area runners

Week Ending 27MAY2012 (Read 207 times)

old-runner

Glad to hear that quite a few are running the China Grove race next week. It's great!

Lynwood... that Sunday long run half marathon... is that the one Phyllis is coordinating? I'm running it too. Looks like a lot of fun. 

Richard, yes, I was looking at Phyllis' half.  Lot's of good friends to run with, and I was thinking, despite my lack of mileage, I had a shot at 1:40 or so on that course.  But, another RA gathering at China Grove would be good too.  So I'll plan on China Grove and see how I feel for the Sunday half.

CliveF, I work on Harris Blvd at the Wells Fargo CIC center.  Planned on working late, waiting on traffic to clear, then head up 85.  Not sure if that would help, but I could carpool from there.

I really wish I could be there for China Grove...had put that on my schedule when my right quad was healing and was able to start running workouts and run long in mid-April. Being in "injury Hades" sucks.

Lynwood, on Wed I was telling the some of the group about China Grove. Speaking of Wed, many new faces, so at about 6:40pm I "organized" everyone in terms of herding people out to the parking lot to get the run started, and some guy who I had maybe seen once last fall who had run to the group, blurts out "so who are you, the leader"! It was amazing, so I stared at him, took a deep breath (and amazingly held back as I had just spent a week in NY, flew in that afternoon and had no sleep), and said "Is this Survivor, because if this is Survivor, then no, I would not want to be known as the leader"!

Rob

theyapper

On the road again...

Looks like China Grove will be even more fun with a lot of us going.  Anyone want to suggest a spot to meet up before the race?

I thoroughly enjoyed the temps this morning.  A little over 5.5 miles in 58° weather. Yum!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Great restraint Rob. Some of these good ol boys you're running with must be rubbing off on you. Heh. That was probably Jody. He wouldn't have meant anything by asking. His wife Lisa was one of the ones in the bushes drinking (water ?) last week. I know they both ran on Wednesday. He knows Audra is MIA.
            old-runner

Dang... I wouldn't want to smart off to anybody Rob's size. 

Rob... You might be best off to skip China Grove since I'll be there. You know how that is... bad omen for you.

Paul... Sounds good about meeting up at China Grove but they've changed things over the last couple years so it's hard telling what's gonna be where. I think last year there was construction directly across the street from that building (not sure what it is) where you register or pick up your number). That place would probably remain the same. Probably best to just keep an eye out for each other. I'm not sure anybody wants to hang around with me on a long-term basis anyhow... LOL. 

By the way, I finally cracked 1:40 at the Charity Chase. Got 1st place in the 60-64 age group this morning with a time of 1:38:50 (or close to that... haven't seen the official time). That's my hill training for the week.

theyapper

On the road again...

You're probably right, Richard.  I've been two years in a row and it was very different last year from the year before.  I'll keep an eye out for sure.  If I don't see any of you before the race starts, just hang around at the finish and I'll get there eventually. Wink

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Lynwood, I know Jody (and Lisa, although I forgot who she was the prior week as I had not seen her or him for a long time)...when Jody was training for his 1/2 marathon last fall I would run w/him and pace him on his runs on several Wednesdays'. Jody actually grew up up in Littleton-CO and about 1/2 mile from where I lived when I was in 3rd/4th grade. The guy in question was some guy who lived on the course (I think he lives on Oriole) since I think the last time I saw him was sometime in the fall (and I ran w/him and we conversed?).

Richard, Clive wrote me (via email as he did not want to disclose this publicly) that he thinks that your "jinx powers" are so powerful that perhaps me having the mere thought of planning to run at China Grove in mid-March, and knowing that you always race in it, caused my otherwise healthy and strong left quad (as the prior issues were w/my right quad) to degenerate.

Despite the hills --> the temperatures must have been very conducive Sat morning in Hickory at Charity Chase compared to the heat that one had to endure in prior years?

Rob

old-runner

Richard, Clive wrote me (via email as he did not want to disclose this publicly) that he thinks that your "jinx powers" are so powerful that perhaps me having the mere thought of planning to run at China Grove in mid-March, and knowing that you always race in it, caused my otherwise healthy and strong left quad (as the prior issues were w/my right quad) to degenerate.

Despite the hills --> the temperatures must have been very conducive Sat morning in Hickory at Charity Chase compared to the heat that one had to endure in prior years?

Everybody will be happy to know that I wore a long-sleeved UnderArmour Cold Weather Gear shirt under my singlet at yesterday's June 2nd half marathon. I think I was the only one. I was standing in the porta-potty line and a girl I know from Shelby yelled out, "I knew you'd be wearing long sleeves this morning!" I felt comfortable though and never got hot. It was just about 60 degrees at the end of the race.

In my defense on my reputation as a jinx, there are some people who no doubt consider me good luck and continue to pummel me week after week. Come to think of it though, there were quite a few old guys in the race yesterday who were running with injuries. Maybe all of that occurred just because they were anticipating racing with me.