Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 8/16/2010 (Read 173 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

Last week's totals.  I finally hit 40, and still found myself 4th.  Good running, everyone!

NameDistance ▼Time
    CarolinaBlue46.6 Mi6:33:41
    CliveFenster45.8 Mi6:40:31
    Happyfeet41.2 Mi6:35:52
    theyapper66 40 Mi7:38:57
    Docster30.9 Mi4:36:41
    old-runner28.1 Mi4:19:26
    chuckplayer*27 Mi3:59:09
    alholley15.8 Mi2:27:18
    runslikeagirl11.2 Mi2:11:55
    Lpadg1 Mi6:31

Hope this week goes well for everyone.  I'm expecting great things.  Had a nice 3 mile run this morning.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

old-runner

I'm slowly nudging it back up. I met Happyfeet Sunday morning and ran 10 miles, which was my longest run in a month and felt good, while Shashi ran 12 (I kicked back while he ran 2 miles by himself at Martha Rivers). 

theyapper

On the road again...

I'm slowly nudging it back up. I met Happyfeet Sunday morning and ran 10 miles, which was my longest run in a month and felt good, while Shashi ran 12 (I kicked back while he ran 2 miles by himself at Martha Rivers). 

You know he ran those last 2 just to nudge past me on the totals.  

Paul

Hey Paul,  How in the world was I supposed to know you'd get lazy on Sunday and not run 
          theyapper

On the road again...

Good point.

Paul

I promise to double my mileage this week!
                So what is with the gold star again?
                Richard -- how is your "speed" post injury?  Right before Memorial Day I came up w/shin splints (after a 9 x 50 sec hard/jog 2:20 on asphalt) and could not run for about 3 wks (other than elliptical).  Have you tried any tempo runs or interval sets since you've come back?  What I found is that I was about the same pace during my easy runs, but I lost my "speed/endurance" in stress workouts (tempo runs/VO2Max/etc. sets).  For example, I normally run at 6:58 mi pace for a tempo run (3-4 mi).  About a week after I started to run again after the shin splints, the first time I attempted to go faster than "easy pace" was a killer.  I was "gasping" going 7:08 mi pace for a broken 3.5 mi tempo (rest 3 min at 1:75 mi).  It took me about 6 weeks to get that speed back again into my legs.   I noticed you ran a race recently (how was that?)?

Rob

old-runner

So what is with the gold star again?
                  Richard -- how is your "speed" post injury?  Right before Memorial Day I came up w/shin splints (after a 9 x 50 sec hard/jog 2:20 on asphalt) and could not run for about 3 wks (other than elliptical).  Have you tried any tempo runs or interval sets since you've come back?  What I found is that I was about the same pace during my easy runs, but I lost my "speed/endurance" in stress workouts (tempo runs/VO2Max/etc. sets).  For example, I normally run at 6:58 mi pace for a tempo run (3-4 mi).  About a week after I started to run again after the shin splints, the first time I attempted to go faster than "easy pace" was a killer.  I was "gasping" going 7:08 mi pace for a broken 3.5 mi tempo (rest 3 min at 1:75 mi).  It took me about 6 weeks to get that speed back again into my legs.   I noticed you ran a race recently (how was that?)?

Paul has a gold star beside his name (theyappear66) because (a) he started this group, and (b) he never misses Sunday School.

As far as speed work for me, I tend not to ever bust a gut out there even when I'm completely healthy so my races end up being my speed work for the week most of the time. My pace in the Tour de Elvis 5k this past Saturday was 7:13 (22:25) but it was my second race since the injury. Last week (08/07/10) at the Blue Points 5k I was faster, with a 7:02 pace (21:48) so go figure. The Elvis race was on a hot night so that might have been part of why I was slower. I seem to be maybe 15 seconds slower per mile than pre-injury. Looking back now somebody with a brain (not me) might have been able to predict my injury. Here are my last 3 race times pre-injury...

07/17/10 -- 21:45 (7:00 pace) (Athletic Quilt 5k in Morganton)

07/10/10 -- 21:30 (6:55 pace) (James K Polk 5k in Pineville)

07/03/10 -- 20:52 (6:43 pace) (Firecracker 5k in Weaverville)

It was the day after the Morganton race that I had to quit the long run early with CliveFenster and Happyfeet and for a couple of weeks I was hobbled and doing the Grandpappy Shuffle and scaled way back on my miles.

theyapper

On the road again...

I took the gold star away because a) I've missed Sunday School, and b) I just realized I could.

Paul

theyapper

On the road again...

Had a nice, muggy, piedmont August run this morning.  Soaking wet  when my 3 miles were done.  Sheesh.

Paul

Don't know if something is wrong with me or if it's the humidity, my run last night sucked big time, worse than my 12 miler on Sunday, which itself was a drag.  Quads feel tight, and have a feeling of impending cramps, maybe I am low on electrolytes or something, but I eat enough salt and bananas, that it should not be an issue.  

Really hoping it cools down by September, so  I can get in a couple of good months training for my first marathon.

theyapper

On the road again...

I'm in the same boat.  I'm really hoping to be pleasantly surprised when cooler temps roll in, and I think we all will be.  Back when it was unseasonably cooler at the first of July, I ran a 12.5 mile run that felt very easy and it was quite a bit faster than the easy pace I'm running in tis heat and humidity.

This summer running is bound to pay off soon.

Paul

It's about 5-10 degrees hotter here on vacation, with humidity in the high 90s every morning.  It's killing me, and my training's going totally to hell.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Ditto here!  I was up in the NY Metro Area a week ago for a week and it was in the high 80's (heat index) and it seemed "refreshing".  I was able to move faster, sweat less and consumed less water.  It made a huge difference in the long run (I was able to run it progressively vs. what happens here where it becomes a "Burma death march"Wink.  I usually run in the very late afternoon or early evening and its brutal (today when I went out the heat index was at 95, sweat thru my shorts at 4 miles, and by the end my shoes were completely soaked as if I ran in a pond).  Do you all find yourself having to stop a couple of times during your long runs (or any run over 50 minutes) to avoid overheating/heat exhaustion (or is it that much cooler in the mornings vs. the late afternoon)?

Rob

old-runner

Do you all find yourself having to stop a couple of times during your long runs (or any run over 50 minutes) to avoid overheating/heat exhaustion (or is it that much cooler in the mornings vs. the late afternoon)?

I'm not sure I "have to" stop during my long runs but I always do if it's up to me. If I'm running with other people like Happyfeet and CliveFenster maybe they get annoyed with me wanting to stop, but so far they've stopped with me. Heck, when I'm by myself I might stop twice as many times. 

I've run about a dozen half marathons in the past year and for the most part I don't stop in the races although I might take a walk break for 20-30 seconds if I'm miserable, but I save all of that grueling stuff for the race. When I'm doing a long run I'm just trying to get the miles in while not making myself terribly uncomfortable. Maybe that's why I'm not getting any faster!