alholley 19.5 mi  
    CliveF  16.6 mi  
    theyapper66  16.5 mi  
    Lpadg 15 mi  
    fraggle 13 mi  
    atomno2 10 mi  
    rossruns 9.2 mi

Good luck to our racers this week!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

old-runner

Well, the Firecracker 5k was pretty much a flop for me. I had too much pizza for lunch then ate at the Original Pancake House at 5 p.m. When the race started at 7 p.m. I was miserable as soon as I took off so I started looking for a place to pull off and stopped running maybe a half mile in and went back and did a slow jog with somebody else, which was actually kind of fun. I thought I'd just take a DNF so I avoided the finish line when I finally made it some 46+ minutes later. Apparently the chip reader was way more sensitive than I thought and it caught me anyway. The saddest part of all is that I still got 2nd place in my age group... There were only 2 old farts in the 60-64 group in a race with 641 finishers!

I think I had a similar flop at my 4 mile race this morning. first 2 miles in 15:30, then the next 2 in 18:04.  Hip locked up a little past 2 miles, then it was run/walk the rest of the way.  Strangely once the race was over, I had no pain running slow miles, I think it's an issue with the range of motion as I am feeling the hip when walking fast, walking uphill or just running fast.

I was hoping for a few more folks to turn up for the run this morning at the Greenway and I could find someone running slower to run behind, but it was just one other person, who is much faster than me and I resorted to walking breaks every 2 miles. A good enough post race run, I normally need a day or so off after any kind of race, but I really did not run very hard yesterday so got through the run just fine.  

Now have another run scheduled tonight at Latta Plantation which ought to be fun

old-runner

Shashi... I ran with Rod and two other guys last Friday morning over in Belmont and I know what you mean. It's not that I can't run that fast, I just prefer to run at an easy pace and not always go out like I'm in a race. I'm planning on running tomorrow morning at the greenway so maybe we can slow down the pace to how we usually run or maybe Rod can just run on ahead of us.

Hey gang, I've been enjoying the sun and high humidity of Hilton Head this week.  Our rental condo's Internet connection was down until this afternoon -- information blackout!

I thought about trying to find a race down here for the Fourth ... then I remembered I'm not Richard.  So just easy runs every other day, when I can wedge them in around the beach and family activities.  Oh, and no upload-ability or Garmin charger, either, so I"m hoping the 310XT's battery lasts until I get back home.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

old-runner

Hey gang, I've been enjoying the sun and high humidity of Hilton Head this week.  Our rental condo's Internet connection was down until this afternoon -- information blackout!

I thought about trying to find a race down here for the Fourth ... then I remembered I'm not Richard.  So just easy runs every other day, when I can wedge them in around the beach and family activities.  Oh, and no upload-ability or Garmin charger, either, so I"m hoping the 310XT's battery lasts until I get back home.

Thought you might have retired from running altogether Clive! I don't know about the running part, but I hate to go to the beach and not have and Internet connection! Thankfully that doesn't happen much these days but a few years ago it was a normal occurrence. Have fun in Hilton Head!

I might be getting used to this doubles/higher mileage.  The run this morning was not the suffer fest it was on Monday following a similar 6/4 double run day.   

old-runner

I might be getting used to this doubles/higher mileage.  The run this morning was not the suffer fest it was on Monday following a similar 6/4 double run day.   

Shashi... 59 miles for you in the last 7 days! 

I'm wondering how long it will be until you implode! You know you're breaking the golden 10% rule big time!

Shocked

Shashi... 59 miles for you in the last 7 days! 

I'm wondering how long it will be until you implode! You know you're breaking the golden 10% rule big time!

Shocked

Going for the 100% rule, just another 0.

These runs don't feel any tougher than the speed work I have been doing especially factoring in the heat, but kind of at a slow slog, but I'll take it. The first mile kind of sucks, but once loosened up, feel OK, will back off at the first sign of trouble.  The recent speed work while improving my top end speed does not seem to have helped with the races, so getting some miles in this month, then will add a tempo run plus a hill session per week in Aug backing off the mileage. 

old-runner

Shashi... Hope you're still able to run The Scream next week! What you did this week seemed kind of opposite of a taper. It's mostly downhill though so you could always just lie down and roll to the bottom.

Fun race for me this weekend... the Coon Dog Day 5k, which was in conjunction with the 48th annual Coon Dog Day Festival in Saluda NC. I just got 2nd place in the 60-64 age group (21:35) but what a fun finish. The 3rd overall female didn't want grandpa to beat her so she really put the pressure on and we were flying to the finish line. The Garmin Connect website recorded me traveling at a pace of 4:22 when I crossed the finish line. That's fast for this old boy. Witnesses say I got chicked by a coon dog's hair but honestly we were so close at the finish line I couldn't tell.

CDD5k pace

Coon Dog Day 5k finish

Richard, looks like you were flying there, a true race. 

I think a 1 week taper should be enough for a Half marathon, will not run over 25 miles till Thursday, and take Friday off.  Then two Half marathons on Sat and Sun.  Getting me over 50 for the week.  

old-runner

...Then two Half marathons on Sat and Sun.  Getting me over 50 for the week.  

Are you planning on a half marathon next Sunday? What is it?

theyapper

On the road again...

Umm, Richard.  Did you run that poor girl into a wardrobe malfunction?  Blush

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

old-runner

Umm, Richard.  Did you run that poor girl into a wardrobe malfunction?  Blush

Haha... I think she was already malfunctioning when I caught up with her so I take no responsibility for that.

BTW, had a good run at the McMullen greenway in Charlotte today. It's really nice and shady, so it's quite a bit cooler than running in the sun. I ran with the Meetup group that meets out on Rea Road and there were a total of 36 runners although everybody was spread out all over the place.

I think I saw Adrian Holley (alholley) out there. I heard somebody call my name but we were both running in opposite directions and he was gone before I could get my bearings. Was that you Adrian??

We ought to get our little group together out there sometime and go for a run!