Marathon Trainers

5/5 - 5/11 (Read 188 times)

evanflein

Most people ( except for Miss Alaska who uses one marathon as a training run for her next marathon) don't train the full 26.2 miles before the race.
    Big grin heh, That is the way I prefer to do it. Just think, run a marathon every 3-4 weeks, get an 18 miler in there after you recover a bit, then taper for the next one. Works for me. Heck it DID work for me for 6 months or so. YMMV.... (please note, I'm not suggesting anyone else do this unless you know you recover well!) Salad, love the desiciveness there. Will spending just an hour at altitude make any difference? I figured you'd need at least a couple days... a week would be better. Oh well, an overnight is better than nothing. Brian, good to hear you had a good time and want to do another. Interesting talk of "the wall." You definitely train your body to be more efficient with those long runs, teach it to burn fat (if you've got it...) and preserve glycogen. Cash, I've heard Figbash quote that 2,000 calorie thing so much, but I've also heard other people say it's hogwash... you can train your body to store more and some people just aren't that efficient. So, whatever, its very much like the concept of carb-depletion and carb-load. Some people respond well to that, and some think they do so get some effect that way. Most women do not. I've hit the wall a few times, a couple times in training on purpose. Gotta know where it is in order to move past it. Awesome tempo run last night. Dropped DS2 off at the start of his 5k race he was doing with his teammates, and I hit the road for my run. I don't do that race cuz it's "family oriented" on a bike path, which means tons of walkers, strollers, kids and dogs. Funny thing... several kids were on leashes, some dogs were not!! I ran past the race turnaround point and kept going. Did some "streetlight fartleks" where I'd put on the speed from one streetlight to the next, then recover between the next. 8.25 miles in 1:06 on the nose, for avg pace of 8 m/m. Thundershowers broke loose just as I was done. Yes

Oh Mighty Wing

we have some really nice runs going on here!! I did not run today. I'm not ready for back to back's... thinking I will just go every other for a while and see how that goes... (honestly garmin was dead when I turned him on for my run today and I figured oh what the hell there's always tomorrow)

Beer Drinker

evanflein, yeah, not ideal but the best i can do. i got up to 5.5 for a while tonight, will go to 6 tomorrow and sleep at the 3500. im pretty used to going from sea level on a friday to 10k and sleeping, then going to 14k and suffering... this is only 6k... the altitude is the least of my worries.
        Start off easy, then slow down.
        Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Ok, catch up time. Seems like when I was off fending off the flu and feeling sorry for myself, we had some pretty awesome races. Brian - Great job. While it's not sub 4:00 like you wanted (why is that such a mgic number?) it's darn close. train smart and you'lol blow through that next time. Looks like you ran a smart race. P2R - Sub 4:00! (why is that such a magic number?). Awesome to soo that fall in to place after so many attempts. Nice done. Seriously, 4:00 seems like some line of demarcation. I know that for me once I break that barrier I'll consider myself an average marathoner. Until then, I consider myself slow. Why 4:00? I have no idea. Nice round number. On to other stuff: Salad - Good luck on the race if you decide to go for it. Be careful with that knee. You don't want to set yourself back. I did 6 this morning and I'm feeling better and better. I can notice improvement on a daily basis. It's hard for me to reigh in and not do too much because I'm starting to get that powerful feeling you get when training is going well. Tomorrow I am going to do an 16-18 mile Galloway style long run. If it goes well (or even if it doesn't go horribly wrong) I'm in for Bayshore. Wish me luck.
            Mr. I - Wish I could tell you why 4:00 is such a big deal. Maybe I knew I could break 5:00, knew I couldn't break 3:00, so that was the natural number. Kinda silly I guess. Hope your run goes well tomorrow, nice to hear you're finally shaking the sickness.
            Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

For me, it kinda sepperates me from teh one and done crowd. Most folks who just do one are going to fall in the 4:00+ range. In general it takes a few tries (especially for the folks wo came to this later in life after years of bad health decisions) to break 4:00. Once I break that 4:00 mark (Fall this year) I will no longer consider myself a slow marathoner. At that point, I think I'll be average. In my mind (which means nothing) the next benchmark is 3:45.

Happy Camper

Agreed on the 4:00 time comments. BQ remains the Holy Grail. 4:00 had to fall first. Now it's a long way to go to get to 3:30 so next number for me is sub 3:50. Love trying so either way I'll get there. I'll just run faster or get older and run the same. When I grow up, I want to run in sub-zero temperatures without complaining, BQ and be a Maniac. Big grin Salad: Good running this weekend. Nice 7-miler this morning at Marathon Pace.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

higa

Well done Husker and Murphy, it's really motivating to read others' race reports. Erika, i too have been getting up in the early hours - a couple of 5am starts this week. i keep telling myself it will only be for a couple more weeks. Biggest run tomorrow before my taper. I am feeling a bit fragile injury wise at the mo. Nothing specific, a bit of tightness here and there. Not sure if i'm being too careful but i haven't pushed it this week, just want to get the long run in. Then I'll register this week after the run's under my belt then there's no turning back and I can start getting excited.

Oh Mighty Wing

When I grow up, I want to run in sub-zero temperatures without complaining, BQ and be a Maniac. Big grin
                    Can I get the fancy license plate too?? (in all seriousness I am totally jealous!)

Bugs

I'm behind on reading. Will catch up later. Wanted to post Race Report. They have not posted results for entries for TC 10. Sad, my running friend is injured. Lower back, and she's training for Grandmas. She had been training a little crazy. Ran 20 on a day she was suppose to run 12, and running lots of fast miles. These injuries they hit you like a truck out of no where. She's needs to go see my graston doc, but I don't have her convinced. She's suppose to run Des Moines with me, bet she backs out. It is hard as hell to plan races with friends.

Bugs

Bugs

Mr. I - Wish I could tell you why 4:00 is such a big deal. Maybe I knew I could break 5:00, knew I couldn't break 3:00, so that was the natural number. Kinda silly I guess. Hope your run goes well tomorrow, nice to hear you're finally shaking the sickness.
                        Brian, You could break 4 on your next one. You and I both ran 4:06 for our first. I ran 3:58+ for my second. I have to admit, break 4 felt wonderful. "subfour" is a great mantra.

Bugs

Agreed on the 4:00 time comments. BQ remains the Holy Grail. 4:00 had to fall first. Now it's a long way to go to get to 3:30 so next number for me is sub 3:50. Love trying so either way I'll get there. I'll just run faster or get older and run the same. When I grow up, I want to run in sub-zero temperatures without complaining, BQ and be a Maniac. Big grin Salad: Good running this weekend. Nice 7-miler this morning at Marathon Pace.
                          You're not kidding about the BQ, that woudl be cool, but I'm so far from that I either need to jump ahead a bunch of years (only 29 now), or get a lot faster than I am. My next marathon will probably be around 4:20 or 4:30 with dad in November, so I'll go for sub 4:00, or maybe a bit faster, in a year.

Dave

4 hours is a big milestone for me as well. I think I can reach it and maybe even go as fast as 3:45 if I get my training together for this fall (avoiding more injuries). As far as BQ goes, my main strategy is to keep the same pace as I get older Undecided 4.5 yesterday at probably too fast a pace. Couldn't help myself. Leg talking to me a bit today but not terrible. HM next Sunday. We'll see how it goes. Hoping to go 2 hours (15 minutes slower than my last one).

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

dave - just remember to listen to your leg. slower and relatively pain free is MUCH better than faster and wrecked for the next couple of weeks! Bugs - you are a speedy!!! Read your mile report... wow! Husker - You can totally break 4 especially with a year to train and prepare for it!! To our mothers: I knwo it's a day early but you know!

Happy Camper

Finished the 5-mile race this morning in a self-timed 38:37. Splits were: 6:57, 7:49, 8:09, 8:04 & 7:36. Well off the 37:00 I thought I could do this one in. Still a PR. Old record for me was 39:19. No pulls, tweaks or twangs so I'm in good shape to cutback in front of next weekend's 50.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.