Marathon Trainers

5/5 - 5/11 (Read 188 times)

Bugs

P2R, Great job on that PR. You ran that first mile faster than I ran my one mile race. Is that race 50K or 50 miles? Erika, I'd like to at least do two marathons a year, probably could if they were more than 3 months apart, or ran one slower. You are higher league than most. Shan, Thanks would have liked to been under 7 but I just don't have enough faster running in. I'm getting back in shape slowly. 6 miles in 51:24, 8:30 pace. Gave me some confidence for next weekends HM. Once again, my training has me close to my goal but it's not in the bag.

Bugs

Beer Drinker

pace - good job on the 5... and of course good luck on the 50! well it wasnt pretty folks, but i did run and i did finish. that damn sinus infection dropped into my chest and i was coughing up my lung the entire race. i was dehydrated so there wasnt any mucos...it wasnt pleasant (too much info, i know) i was very uncomfortable most of the race, lower back ache from the start, which i think was from this illness. i literally started cramping at mile 9, which is weird, cause i hydrated like a mofo all week and was well hydrated at that point in the race. 500,000 endurolytes and 15 miles later, the cramps were under control. i was nearing the turnaround point (25 miles mark) ready to drop at the 27 mile aid station when XY (crissy) Weiss (sp) recognized me and said 'Hi Jeff!'. She is an ultra legend, and how she remembered me is crazy. We ran together for about 5 minutes in the High Desert 50k in Dec. ANYWAY...for some reason that got me all happy inside so I started feeling better... then some dude passed me (he was on the way back, I was still getting to the turnaround point)... he had on a shirt that said 'in memory of mom' well, i started bawlin for a sec, cause the reason i got into ultras was to take my mind of my moms passing back in late 05. So armed with that, and mothers day being tomorrow, i decided to push on to the 32 miles aid station. then i started thinking i didnt want to tell my daughter i quit, so pushed on to the next, which was only a long 4 away. at that point, it was just 13 to go, so what the heck, why not. i met a couple of cool people on the trail, which was really the only thing nice about the run, except finishing. one of them was the father of one my wife's 4th grade students. i didnt feel good the entire way, but man, finishing is bliss. i barely broke 12 hours, which is slower than last year, but considering my lack of training from the hip and knee injuries, and this damn chest thing, im stoked to just finish. i think it was 10,500 verticle gain, but not sure.. now im sitting at home with a 102.5 fever, with wife and kids out of town... no tlc! probably should have dropped at 27!!
      Start off easy, then slow down.

Oh Mighty Wing

salad - so what you are saying is that the whole pain thing went out the window right??? So how did your hip feel? You rest up and take care of yourself!! Bugs - you have gotten in some awesome mileage the last few weeks. 30-something mile weeks are nothing to scoff at! So don't beat yourself up too bad about speed!!

Beer Drinker

shan, yeah, the knee and hip held up perfectly... no pain. damn, i cant sleep!
            Salad - That's amazing, I don't even know what else to say. Congrats on finishing!

Happy Camper

salad: Nice work! Recover well. Keep track of that fever. Shocked Pictures! Bugs: It's a 50-miler. http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/marktwain/recreation/sites/berryman_trail/berryman_trail_flyer.pdf Each loop is 24-miles so there is a short out & back thrown in for the 50.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Oh Mighty Wing

Salad - fever still bad? Be careful with that. Last time i had a fever like that I had a sinus infection so bad it was on the verge of strep. you might want to try a warm compress on your chest?? (i take really hot steamy showers when it moves into my chest...) 3 miles.... knee was present - knew it might be the last couple of days i've felt it randomly. guess the upper legs need a good stretching. I did throw in this mega hill 1/4 mile one way but the knee didn't hurt. My lower legs were cramping so I untied my shoes - which alleviated the problem until they became too lose because i just left them untied -oops! So i'm thinking possibly about the trying the whole streak idea - any thoughts?? Gonna try for 6mi tomorrow.
                  Shan, I've though about the streak thing too. I just always worry about recovering from the harder workouts, but I suppose 2 or 3 easy miles still counts, but shouldn't hurt recovery much. From not running to a streak? Wow, glad to hear things have turned that much for you.

Bugs

Salad, Honestly don't know if I should give you a slap on the back, or a smack for running sick. Seriously that is a flippin long way to run, can't imagine doing it sick. I get tired driving that far, can't imagine running. Very sweet about you missing your Mom. Now Dude, you need to rest. Lots of fluids and when the wife gets home she needs to make you chicken noodle soup. Serious rest or else Mr. Shan, A guy I work with had his last rest day 32 years ago. Never had an injury but says his knee hurts about 70% of the time. He is so funny. Runs up to 100 mpw week in the summer and runs mostly 2 mile and 5K races. Drinks pop before and after his races. He's tried to convince me to start a streak but it's just not me. I am a consistant exerciser, I don't burn out like some people, but I like my one day of doing nothing, especially when sick. 12 miles today very slow. My calf is sore, rubbing and icing it like crazy. It's happened before and clears up with rest very nicely. My son gave me a card today that reads, "My Mom is speshul becus she is a god swimmur". Smile Funny I stand out as a swimmer to him and not a runner.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

Bugs - when you are young swimming is just cooler! It has occurred to me that the streak thing might go well initially but has disaster written all over it once I get preg. Husker - see I was thinking that maybe it would help me be more consistant to do it every day. I am really good at "just switching tomorrow's rest day with today's run" but then the run doesn't happen the next day either... so I thought maybe just maybe running every day would help. Guys in the streaker group said the key is to have recovery runs that are much slower than what you normally run... I donno we shall see! No harm in trying right??
                      Cashmason

Salad, Good job on finishing the run. And seeing Xy anytime is always a pick me up. Great legs and body in a neon leopard print running skirt just gets every man's attention. I bought a pair of her Dirty Girl Gaitors and love them. I see her a couple of times a year at parties for Ultra Runners. She wouldn't have a clue who I am, but she knows my friends. Hope you feel better soon.

Beer Drinker

hey guys, thanks! fever is gone, cough is still pretty bad. pretty stiff, but once i walk around a little everything loosens up. staying home today and trying to get in to see a doctor...