Marathon Trainers

Week of 5/17 and sitting at Pam's feet learning from the master (Read 408 times)

Hawt and sexy

I am not getting close to rocken's feet unless she needs help popping blisters during this weeks race. Even then, I will probably make her take off her own socks.

I'm touching your pants.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Pam and Perry - did the 2 of you intentionally run the same mileage last week (even down to the tenth of a mile)?  If I'd have seen that earlier, I'd have put Perry's name in the thread title, too.

Yeah, but I ran mine like a reasonable person. I don't have any frightening black spike shooting up last week. Jes sayin. Smile

J: I really hope your leg heals by the vacation time.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

evanflein

I'm not on FB so didn't hear at all till now. So sorry, Jeremy. That really sucks.

Good grief, Pam. Hypothermia, blisters, puking in sleeping bags... you guys know how to have some fun, no? Good training run for your 100k, sure would be nice to have another week's recovery though. Be careful.

Kimmie, I hate 5k's. The problem with them, for me, is they're so unforgiving. In a marathon, or a half even, you have some time to recover from a bad start, or time to change your strategy or whatever. 5k's are just too frantic. That being said, I'm still bucking for a better time at that distance too.

What a crazy weekend this was. Just flew by. I did get my 15 miler in on Sunday after 9 hilly miles run pretty hard on Saturday, for 46.3 for the week. Glad to break out of the mid-30's where I've been stuck for awhile. I guess it's less than a month since Boston so no big rush, right? This week is busy at work, DH leaving tomorrow for the rest of the week, and kids out of school. Not sure yet where my running will fit in, but I had some grand idea of a 50 mile week this week. Hmmm. Nothing today though, bought garden stuff at lunch and will be cleaning up and helping DH pack tonight.

Cashmason

The only thing that sounded good about Pam's race was the skin on skin with hubby.

Didn't think you could talk about that stuff in a running forum.... wink.

5k on the treadmill after teaching spin.   No pain in calves or achillies for the first time since Feb.

On the other hand I did run a bit at 5 % incline,  and now a moderated  pita,  aka the glutes.  Should be ok by morning.

That was a hellova run on Saturday, Erika.

Good to hear, cash.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

I had an unexpected burst of speed this morning.  Maybe I'm getting some of my conditioning back.

7.2 miles, 57:00, 7:55/mi, AHR 157 (76% MHR)

1 - 8:30(139)

2 - 8:12(148)

3 - 8:14(149)

4 - 8:03(154)

5 - 8:01(155)

6 - 7:27(166)

7 - 7:15(171)

8 - 1:18(173) [0.20=6:30]

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Hey nice morning run Lou.

Kimmie

Thanks for the words of encouragement, Erika, and everyone else.

I guess it is true that the 5K is unforgiving.  I feel like I want to try again really soon, before it gets super hot.  Around here, there are many races to choose from every weekend.   

Speaking of 5Ks, the Girls on the Run 5K is this Sunday.  We have to meet up at 5:30 in order to get all the girls gathered and caravan to our location.  I'm prepared for many, unhappy girls.  Darby hasn't been running as much this season.  She was sick some, and had a few other conflicts.  I'm REALLY debating on how much to push her.  I've said this before, I think.  She's only 9 years old, and I would hate for her to not like running because I pushed her too hard.   Last time, she ran the whole thing without walking, which was good for her, so that's what I'm hoping for this time.  

Pam, not sure if I've said this already, but you are amazing.

Training starts next week for Steamtown.  I will try to run a few tune up races between now and then, too.  I need to add them to the calendar here.

Bugs, there's nothing for you between now and Grandma's right?   You'll have a blast there.

On another random topic, instead of working 3 part time jobs; I plan to meet with the principal at the girls' school and hope he can suggest something for me there that will be full time.  So, cross your fingers for me, please.  Smile

Bugs

Bugs, there's nothing for you between now and Grandma's right?   You'll have a blast there.

On another random topic, instead of working 3 part time jobs; I plan to meet with the principal at the girls' school and hope he can suggest something for me there that will be full time.  So, cross your fingers for me, please.  Smile

I have Fargo Half Marathon on Saturday. Feeling pretty sore and beat-up too. Achilles is a bit pist at me so I'm going to XT, rest for race.

A full time job at school ... with snotty wild kids?? You are braver than Pam. Wink

Bugs

Good Luck at the school, Kimmie!

Stay healthy bugs!

Good run Lou!

Thanks for the encouragement everyone! It helps a lot. Going out at lunch to get 3-4 miles in.

Sorry to hear about your SF Jeremy!!!! Sending speedy recovery vibes your way!!!!!

Keep up the great work Murph! Enjoy those lunch miles!

Soooo glad to hear that Cash! 

If it hadn't of been for the hypothermia I might of actually enjoyed that skin to skin with Ken *sigh*

Good luck Kimmie!! That is something I'd LOVE to do. Guess I need to head my butt over to the twins new school (it opens next year) and see what I can dig up for myself if any. Seems everyone and their brother here are some sort of teacher etc. Good luck to Darby and all the other girls this weekend! 

Nice run Lou!! Keep it up!

Good luck this weekend Bugs!! 

no popping blisters until AFTER the race Amanda lol. Speaking of mine seem to be doing rather good *knock on wood* BTW YOU need to start TRAINING Wink

So are you saying I'm unreasonable Perry???

Well I'm feeling way too good. Gotta keep myself in check somehow. Despite it pouring down rain I headed over to Bear Creek (one of our local ski resorts) and ran some trails. Lots of big rocks, roots and mud on a single wide track very much like how portions of South Mountain will be. Kept it short and sweet and even ran the last mile on a gravel path that was nothing but down down down until a bit of uphill back to the parking lots. I think I freaked a few of the workers out me appearing out of nowhere wearing my ultra bright Boston Marathon Volunteer jacket in the pouring rain. Oh well I had a lot of fun despite a few close calls.  

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Got my 4 miles in (actually only had 3 on my schedule)

Thrilled with how I felt and with my pacing:

Mile 1 10:34

Mile 2 10:23

Mile 3 9:37
                        Mile 4  9:18

I really wasnt pushing. The course is slightly uphill on the way out and downhill on the way back. But those last 2 miles were easily the best Ive put in on this course, and I wasnt tired.

Really happy with where I am compared to when I first started running--despite the layoff. I should be way more ready for my fall marathons than I was for my best efforts 3-4 years ago or whenever it was I started.

Hawt and sexy

Heh, Perry, Pam and I are signed up for Reading. I think you should train. And be there. In lederrhosen.

I'm touching your pants.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

google helping me out: 

Marathon Reading is a yearly program put on by the UCLA department of English, where a group of students, faculty, community members, alumni, and often even ...

Hawt and sexy

heh...

try 1/2 Sauer 1/2 Kraut

I'm touching your pants.

google helping me out: 

Marathon in Reading PA. Time for me to start training

So we'll be seeing you there COOL

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson