Marathon Trainers

Week of 4/5/2010 and 2 Weeks to Boston!! (Read 228 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I think that's a new activity -- "gear lugging".

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Bugs

Kim,

I'm mostly nervous about asking my DH to be gone from him and the boys on Father's Day weekend..and I won't register till I drop five pounds.

Bugs

evanflein

Bugs, that dropping 5 lbs thing is easier said than done... at least for me. I'm hovering around 6.5 lbs down from January 1, but it's been a real struggle (and three months!!) to lose those 6.5 lbs.

5.4 miles tonight after work. Set out for an easy run, and kept reminding myself to keep the pace easy and relaxed. A couple of big hills that were hard, but kept everything else easy effort and still ended up with 8:19 avg pace. Interesting run, with the wind and hills and all.

5.4 miles tonight after work. Set out for an easy run, and kept reminding myself to keep the pace easy and relaxed. A couple of big hills that were hard, but kept everything else easy effort and still ended up with 8:19 avg pace. Interesting run, with the wind and hills and all.

Somehow when I saw, "Set out for an easy run", I expected something like, "still ended up with 8:19 avg pace".  You're going to rock Boston!

MTA: Hmm, I ran 5 also, but at 8:59/mi pace

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Kimmie

Ok, firstly, I remember that there was a trick to posting from your IPhone.  I think it was Vixi (where is she?) who needed to know how to do it.  My phone won't let me post here at all.   Anyone remember what to do about that?

Paul-  awesome that you got away!   That is great.  I know that your wife had to feel so special.  19 years is a lot!

Weight loss....  I didn't drop these pounds before Boston, which is a bummer.   Didn't want to have to carry extra weight up the hills.   I think I am finally getting that I can't just run miles to drop the weight... must do more.    Good for you Erika on dropping those pounds, though.  That is a lot of hard work that will even make you faster at Boston.

Heading out for an easy 5.  Allergies seem to be better.... everyone around here is suffering miserably.   

theyapper

On the road again...

Erika - Easy @ 8:19 pace.  I'm speechless and bowing. 

Kim - If I remember correctly, when I post from my iphone I have to choose the html tab below the dialog box and I think you have to click it twice before the iphone lets you start typing.  Then just type and post.  I think...

Pumped about my half tomorrow.  This week without running has my legs happy.  The weather will be nice, too, with temps around 40 at the start and 50 at the finish.  Still debating whether to go short or long sleeves.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Gee, now low 50s feels cold to me (after a bit of 90s). Off to do a 2mi leg of a relay shortly, and I'll probably jog up & down the road to keep warm, whilst I'm out waiting at my station.

I think I've lost my iron stomach -- seems that race mornings give me a slightly queasy stomach. Anxiety no doubt. Plenty of people survive this, so I will too Smile

Kimmie

Cool Perry!  What kind of relay is it?

Good luck tomorrow Paul!   I may just try the week with no running thing.

My easy 5- 9:40 pace-  Smile   It was super windy out there.   going to the doc later today to check out the allergies.

evanflein

I don't know why 8:19 felt easy. Going up those last two hills sure wasn't easy, but the flat and downhill were just fine. My average pace is like having one hand on a hot stove and the other in the freezer. The average temp should be fine but the variations are extreme.

Get some steroid spray at the doc, Kimmie. It works wonders, but does take a few days to fully "kick in."

Good luck on the relay, Perry! And the half marathon, Paul!  I've got a 5k tomorrow at 11. They moved the start time from 10 to 11 in the hopes that it would be a little warmer for the race, but I don't think it'll make much difference tomorrow. Will probably be in the mid to upper 20's. I'm not racing it, just using it as a good speed run with a big hill at the beginning. A mile warm up and one or two cool down and I'll be done for the day.

theyapper

On the road again...

I put this in the race report thread, but don't know how many read that.  I finally did a report for my Richmond marathon.  it's long...

For your viewing pleasure

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Just enjoyed reading Paul's Richmond report -- congrats, and also nice report-writing.

This morning DW ran first leg and led the race into the exchange point, where I took the baton/bracelet thing, and ran right into heavy headwind. After my leg, I rested and chatted with a guy about MCM, then took off to jog the next leg. At the end of that I joined someone I knew who was just starting her leg, ran with her, then pushed the last leg hard, failing to keep up with her husband, but having a great workout. Found teammates at finish and discovered that we'd led the entire way and won with several minutes to spare. Whee Smile    Also, DW's first ever experience leading a field.

No run for me this morning -- I did volunteer at a 5k, though, at which Harriet won her age group -- hilly course which ends with some uphill stairs (!) and a hill.  Still she came within 25 seconds of a PR.  Good job for her.

Good thing I had a scheduled rest day -- my ham is acting up -- hopefully it will ease up by tomorrow.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Kimmie

Loved your report, Paul.   Glad you wrote it.  I always like having the written account.

Lou and Perry-  awesome for your wives!!   How cool to lead the field and win an AG.

Woke up and ran with the group.  The plan was MP and ended up with 9 min. miles for 8 miles... felt like I was holding back quite a bit, but with the hills of Boston, I am not planning on going out ANY faster than 9 min. pace.     Allergy meds seem to be kicking in.

Bugs

Erika,

I always drop the weight, just have to avoid junk food and have fruit for snack in the afternoon instead of crap. My RP seems to really struggle, I feel for her, but I envy the really skinny girls..I am somewhere in between. Deep down I know it could be worse, but that is why I like complaining to you guys about it, you get it, see people with an extra 50 pounds don't want to hear about it period.

Paul,

Very nice report. When is your next marathon?

My legs feel really good since I modified my running form. Not pushing the ground as much has slowed me down but I'm recovering great. Convinced my husband on this Grandmas Marathon, kind of didn't like that it would be a girls only trip since he has had fun going there. I started to chart out a Hal Higdon Int II training plan. What I have been running is pretty close luckily. Didn't do any pace runs, but I averaged 8:45 for a 16 mile run so we'll call it good. One pickle is the two half marathons I'm running. One 20 mile run before the week of Fargo I guess. How will that slow me down? As long as I PR I don't care, and that just means faster than a 8:45 min pace - easy. Then on May 1st, I got another half when I should be running 20 and won't have time to pad miles after the race. I'm running 18 tomorrow. So not sure if I should run LRs of 18, 19, 20, and then the half, or 18, 20, 12, and then the half race. Actually Fargo Half is more important to me.(.hym babble thinking as I type.) I started adding events on my calendar if you want to give me advise.

Hi to everyone else - gotta go get supper ready..will be back later.

P.S. Excited to be back in the game!

Bugs

Cashmason

Well Shazzbat.

Back out of the game.  Took the dog for a run yesterday.  Mile one great.  Mile 1.01 calf hurt so bad, had to limp  3/4 of a mile back home.

Hurts to walk across the living room.