Marathon Trainers

Week of 8/17 (Read 251 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

Sorry to hear about the knee, Kim, and the skunk, Bryan.  Dave, you must have just loved that run, and Lou, I'm glad the meds seems to be fixing stuff for you.

I'm just continuing on, slow and steady.  7 miles early this morning, but unfortunately it was already 76F and humid.  Still a nice run, though.  I am loving this schedule!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Oh Mighty Wing

Hey All!!! Sorry I hadn't checked in yet! I'm laying over at my friends house for the week as it's my last horah before school starts next week!

The race was a trail race - I'm not skilled. It was brutal! There were sand hills where the change over from one to another was so severe a bike tire would have gotten stuck. I knew it'd be a fun run... but I didn't think I'd go that slow! Oh and it started at 8am - it was hot!! 5:24....

Bugs

I was wondering what stunk in here, and wouldn't you know it is Brian.  Sorry but that is seriously funny. How hard is it to get rid of that smell?

I was on my way home from a run this weekend and saw an eagle fly right into my back yard woods. Gorgeous.

Kim, hope the knee is nothing. Couple of days off fixes most aches and pains.

JellyFish, hope your friend is a guy and very cute. Smile  Anyone who runs those trail races are brave soliders in my opinion.

Any advice for how I should pace Ragnar? I'm taking the longer leg and my first run will be 6.9 miles. My best runs these days seem to average an 8:45 pace. Do I really run each leg all out? Oh I wish I had done some double runs.

Bugs

Kimmie

Paul-  you have great consistency... keep on keeping on.  the temps will cool down soon.

Jelly- perseverance, girl!!  That is awesome.  I don't know if I would have even attempted a trail run.  And I want to know what Bugs wants to know- is he cute?  Smile

Bugs-  I was told not to run my legs all out, but I probably could have run them harder than I did.  It depends a little on how hilly the legs are too, I think.   I would run it at 75% effort- whatever that means- so not a total all out racing effort, but not easy either.

My knee seems fine today.  I picked some new shoes this morning and I'm going out to run with my group in about an hour when DH gets home.  

evanflein

Bugs, that's funny. At least you have a goal, right? The one I did in AZ had porta potties at all the exchanges. I'm sure you'll be fine. As for how to run them, we were on a pretty competitive mixed masters team, goal was to win and we did. We ran them pretty hard, and my middle of the night run (1:30 am I think) was 7 miles of downhill. Was sort of scary running fast downhill on some choppy asphalt (it was on roads) with just the circle of your headlamp light to show the way. But fun. The last leg was the longest and hardest being in the daytime heat, big downhill and then uphill, then flat to the exchange. I was glad to be done, but passed about 10 runners on that one. Oh I'd love to go do it all again!! Sometime...

Jelly, where was this hot trail run with sand dunes? Do you have a schedule posted somewhere? Our "upcoming races" thread is woefully incomplete...

Sounds like your recovery is going really well Pam. Hope you're over that cold. Remember, you need about 3 weeks to fully recover from that huge effort. I did read your RR, pretty cool stuff. (and I got all those annoying faces when I wrote my Seattle race report in Word, then copied it and pasted it into the thread... maybe using notepad or some other text program? I don't know...)

Bryan, yuk. I've never even seen a wild skunk and don't want to! What do you do for that?

Kimmie, I think you're doing really well with the schedule you have. Taking care of the kids, working, running, it's hard to get it all done! I have teenagers and it's hard enough at that! Good call on skipping the run, maybe if the knee is ok you can fit it in later this week?

Dave! Nice run, and yes sometimes you just gotta do it. Hope the stress levels drop a bit for you soon...

That Beer-Baby will be well taken care of, I'm sure. I'll bet he'll get running shoes before he's walking... Hope to see pictures soon!!

Hi Paul! Hey Jeremy! Hi Perry! Where the heck is Cash?? I wonder how Mr. Inertia, Brian and Murphy are doing... Sure wish they'd check in.

evanflein

Oh... running. I'm not. Well, I took yesterday off after just that short run Sunday evening. Last ran over 10 on Saturday morning and it feels like a lifetime ago. Strange, huh? I was going to RAL, but didn't want to get caught in the rain (it'd doing that annoying spitty drizzly stuff today) and then have to sit in a meeting all afternoon. So, I'll run after work. Just 5 or so. Gotta love this cutback week stuff, I may not hit 40 miles!!

Happy Camper

Most of the spray I received this morning hit the shoes and the lower body.  It's dark now  at 5:30am and I was running through some new construction.  Must of disturbed him where he was bedded down.  I was close to the curb next too an undeveloped lot and he popped out of some tall grass and nearly ran into the side of my leg.  My first thought was getting bit and rabies and then I saw him turn with the tail flagged.  I started sprinting hard in a straight line away from him and the smell filled the air.  Funny, I guess that I'm slower than stink.  It happened during the first mile and I went ahead and finished the run.  When I got home the dogs went bonkers running through the house barking and groweling as they hunted for the skunk.  My shoes were in the garage and they just stood at the door and barked and groweled away.  Woke the entire house up.  I've tried shoe fogger and fabreeze on the shoes to no avail.  They have 400 miles on them so they were ripe to begin with.  I already have their replacements but was hoping for another 100 miles so the new shoes would be fresher for the marathon on September 7th.  The clothes were good after one washing and I was okay coming out of  the shower according to DW but the dogs seemed to know it was on me.  Oh well, first time for everything.  Had my Boss with me the entire day so it could have been more interesting than it turned out to be.

Erika, nice mileage last week.

Dave,  work and move related tempo runs are approved.

Bugs, you'll enjoy the relay for sure.

JF:  That time on trails is not to bad at all.  I have a 50k in October I want to do and given the trail I'll be happy with 6 hours.

WRFB:  Did changing the BP meds help you feel stronger on the run today?

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Yes, definitely more energy -- we'll see how I feel tomorrow.  There can be so many factors to low energy during a run, so I don't know if I have a smoking gun yet.  I just hope (don't think) I'm getting burned out.

I didn't see that about the skunk.  I see about 3-4 skunks a year in our neighborhood, but they usually give me a wide berth as I do them.  Your dogs must've loved it -- nothing like a nasty smell to get a dog going wild.

PDR is headed up to Boston tomorrow first thing.  dawndaughter1 was supposed to be admitted tonight, then induced tomorrow morning, but she got bumped.  This was after PDR bought her ticket.  Anyway DD1 is now supposed to go in tomorrow morning, so the process is shifted about 12 hours. 

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Bugs

Lou,

Drinking enough water? That is usually a big one for me. It adds up over time. Which reminds me I need to go drink.

Going for a night run now, just to test the gear.

Bugs

Yes, definitely more energy -- we'll see how I feel tomorrow.  There can be so many factors to low energy during a run, so I don't know if I have a smoking gun yet.  I just hope (don't think) I'm getting burned out.

Of course I meant to say I hope I'm not getting burned out.

Bugs - it's not the water -- I had plenty with me on Sunday.  Still thinking it's the meds but I'll know better after this weeks' runs.

Had a fine run this morning, energy level was ok.

9.1 miles, 1:20:52, 8:52/mi, AHR 149 (76% MHR)

PDR is on the plane, will arrive at the hospital around 9am, I think.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

theyapper

On the road again...

Sounds like it could be a day for exciting news, Lou!  Can't wait to see that post.

Ran 4 miles this morning and a bit quicker pace and felt great.  AHR didn't bump up too much and it was still an easy run.  Humid, of course, but that's par for the course.  

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Dave

Ran 4 miles this morning and a bit quicker pace and felt great.  AHR didn't bump up too much and it was still an easy run.  Humid, of course, but that's par for the course.  

Paul, it sounds to me like all your consistent training is starting to pay off.  You won't believe how great you feel when the cooler weather hits this fall.  It's like turbo .

Lou, getting excited for you and PDR with the imminent birth of your grandbaby.  Wishing you all the best and looking forward to pictures.

MTA:  Took the day off yesterday after the tempo work.  Brought some running stuff to work today so I may try and squeeze in some treadmill time.  Got new running shoes so I'm looking forward to logging some miles on those (Nike Triax Structure 12's).

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Bugs - I have no advice to give on how to pace, but I hope whatever you end up doing you have a ton of fun!!!!

Kimmie - so was the knee issue just a shoe indicator? I get a soreness on the outside of my knee when my shoes are dead - it only lasts while i'm running.

Erika - oddly enough it was in Michigan. And I'm possibly revamping my whole entire fall schedule over the next 2 days, but as soon as I know what i'm doing I'll go and update the race thread... ok technically i'm going to go put in the ones i've paid for already as soon as I'm done this post. Is this a Life induced cut-back week??

Pace - did you have to tomato juice your way back to freshness? 50K?? very cool!!!

Lou - YEAH FOR BABIES!!!! I'm excited!!!! and low energy - change in BP meds... crap I need to go back and catch up - you've been exciting from the sounds of it...

I did 7 yesterday and it was SLOW because I finally figured out the Mr. Plyo secret.... backwards... all the plyo's I had been doing were forward, but Monday I did one set backwards and holy cow pies the next day I was sore! It was the BEST feeling in the world!!! And it's been far too long since I had that trashed feeling. So that made for a very slow run yesterday. Made sure to stay at 65% HR (yeah, that's right, I've gone to the heart rate side of life... i like it... I know immediately if my body is recovered or if it's hurting before I even set foot on the pavement which is nice - tells me what kind of run to expect). Still sore - more muscle tightness though - and am hoping a nice run will shake it all out, but we'll see...

MTA: I am at a female friends house... no males... guess i'll have to start meeting them at the start/finish lines of races

Kimmie

Hey there!

Last night's run was awesome.  We were supposed to do a tempo run and I ran 6 miles at an 8 minute pace, which is fast for me.  Shoes felt great, knee felt great.  Guess it was just one of those things.

Thanks for the encouragement, Erika.  I really needed it.  I seem to waver between whiny excuses and real life reasons why more running can't happen.

Headed out in a few for 5 miles.

Dave, glad to see you posting again but we do need to hear from Cash, Mr. I , Murphy...

Glad to hear  you more energy, hopefully it the change of meds Lou! Oh and sending lots of  EASY LABOR Vibes sending to predawndd#1!!!! Sorry you won't be there but so glad Predawn will! Such  special time!

Wish I had pace advice Bugs however I've never done a relay.

Glad to her you had a great run yesterday Kimmie! Glad to hear your knee is fine. Like Jelly I tend to get pain on the outside of my knee when my shoes are dead. 

Way to be consistant Paul. Sounds like you've got some good running going on and just wait until it cools down. All these runs in the humidity will have some pay offs!

I did the whole heart rate thing last summer Shan and it really helped me. It really helped me learn to listen to my body. You ready to get back work for the school year?  

Enjoy your recovery week Erika! I'm trying to enjoy mine but even though I know that I'm at least another week or so from recovery it feels like it's going to be forevor until I  can run longer than 5-6 miles. This is the first time I've ever felt the need for recovery. Not sure why I thought my legs would need the recovery not my cardiovscular system. My cold is ALMOST completely gone. Still got crap in my lungs but not much. It likes to come out while i"m out for my runs.

I got in a nice 5.5 mile run with Ken last night. That makes 3 days in a row for him WOOHOOOO!  Orginaly I had planned on one run and lifting weights with Ken later however  I have a pain in my neck that's been there for a few days and isn't going away. Partly due to the 100 miler partly due from not working out in forevor and my muscles aren't strong enough to support my weak parts of my skeletal (SP?) If I can't get it rehabed soon I'm gonna have to start with the muscle relaxers at night time *sigh* At least it's not interfering in my running *knock on wood*

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson