Marathon Trainers

Week of 8/17 (Read 251 times)

evanflein

Jelly, towards the end of training (race is Sept. 19) when I'm doing peak weeks I like to cut back about 20% after a peak. Keeps me from getting injured... and keeps me married.

Pam, I think your recovery is taking longer because you were sick when you did that race. You combined two big stressors on your body and now it's time to pay the piper, so to speak. Sounds like you're doing well, and I hope that neck thing is just from sleeping on it wrong... I do that sometimes and it can be a sharp pain for a few days, then it's gone.

Got in a nice run last night, almost didn't go it was getting so late and raining. And we all know how I just love to run in the rain but it lightened up and off I went. It was nice, but I overdressed and got too warm. Oh well. Today I'm taking advantage of the clearing skies and my clear afternoon calendar and will be going out for a RAL.

Sending good baby vibes to Boston!!

Dave

30 minutes on the treadmill for me today (no good place to run at work).  3.3 miles.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Kimmie

nice run Dave...

I ran in 98 degrees today- got to love that.  did some hills and ended up with 6 miles.  I love it when you come home pouring in sweat.  Yeah- that's awesome.  My kids love it too... especially when I try to hug them.

We've got 22 on the schedule coming up this weekend.  Some of the faster people in my group want me to run with them early and do this hilly loop for 6 of the miles.  I've heard horror stories about this loop and I just can't bring myself to run it, especially with the fast people and on a 22 miler day.  So, I think I will stick with the more normal route... 

Pam, also hoping your neck pain is nothing.

Dave

Way to stick it to the kids, Kim.  Make 'em hug you.  Builds character .

Ran/walked another 3 tonight with DW for a double.  Pace is around 12:00 but miles are miles.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

hey, all

contractions in process, pre-pitocin

maybe I'll have some news in the morning

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

theyapper

On the road again...

Oh, my kids HATE IT when I come in all sweaty.  Of course, I love chasing them around like I'm gonna hug em.

Lou, I know everyone's excited.  Keep us posted.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

no baby yet.  dd1 got an epidural so she's comfortable and trying to rest.

Little recovery run for me:

3.1 miles, 29:48, 9:31/mi, AHR 137 (70% MHR)

Oh Mighty Wing

Pam - actually it's been a nice confirmation that I already was... I have been a little surprised at how much I haven't used it as an indication so much as a confirmation that it's up or down. Sorry to hear you aren't feeling better!

Erika - yes staying married is a good thing!! hehe uninjured is also good...

So this weekend I'm heading out to Wyoming for a marathon... it's my 20th career marathon... just wanted to share.

I am a little ready for school but not because I don't want to stop the life I have lived this summer, but at the same time I am changing my focus and cutting back on racing, and that makes me a sad on one hand and super excited on the other!

theyapper

On the road again...

Have fun out in Wyoming, JF!

Rest day for me, time to get caught up on client projects.

Paul

it's gonna be soon WOOHOOOOOO Lou! Can't wait to hear grand baby news!!

Thanks Erika and Kimmie. Unfortunatly it's NEVER just a crick in my neck. I've got several buldging cervical discs and when I'm not strength training I end up with problems. I've just gotten lucky that it's been awhile. Last night when Ken and I were out having drinks my neck pain went down to the middle of my spine as well as down my left arm and even in my chest area. Needless to say before going to bed last night I took one of my Flexeril that I keep for times like this. Went to sleep on my back (HATE sleeping on my back ) cause I couldn't get comfortble in any other position. Felt alot better this morning but not completely.

Erika that makes sense. I just never thought that anything other than my legs would need to recover lol ( kinda stupid huh)

Oh I'm feeling better Shan. In fact I'd say my recovery is going rather well and much faster than what I expected. The thing is I expected my legs to be trashed for a few weeks and didn't really think about anything else needing recovery. What I've found is my legs aren't trashed and my cardiovscular is what's needing the recovery. Ken also reminded me that we've had air quality warnings alot lately. That alone is enough to screw with my breathing during a run, that and the humidity. 

MTA: Have fun in Wyoming Shan

Enjoy your rest day Paul Smile

I got 5 miles done in the parkway followed by 2.5 miles of walking. I'm supposed to be running with Ken tonight after he gets home so I didn't want to push it. Looks like I may get close to 60 miles in for the week if things go as planned. Ken and I will be heading to NJ to pick the twins up and head to the shore for the weekend. Weather doesn't look that great but such is life. I may actually get some running in the rain this weekend Smile

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

He was born 1:18, 7lbs 4oz, by c-section

PDR forgot to ask his name, so we'll let you know when we find out.

PDR said he's absolutely gorgeous (as if there'd be any doubt :^) )

WOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Lou's a POP POP!!! CONGRATS!!!!! Sorry to hear about the c-section however a nice healthy baby boy is the MOST IMPORTANT THING. CONGRATS to you and PDR!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Dave

Congratulations to Lou, PDR, and the whole Beer family!!

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Hail to The Victors!

Congrats to you and your family, Lou!

theyapper

On the road again...

Good news, Lou!!  Congrats to the whole family!

Paul