Marathon Trainers

Week of 3/17-3/23 (Read 205 times)

Oh Mighty Wing

Bugs - i can see how she might not like that! I have a dog so I don't know what it looks like when a cat ends up in a dryer, but in my head it is sort of funny... although I guess I'd be ticked about being stuck in the dryer too! Dave - that sounds like fun!!
    Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Mr. I can quality be hills? or is it supposed to be speed? or does it depend on the goal?
      Hills, whether you're talking about repeats or just running a really hilly course is considered quality in my book. Intervals, tempo work or a progressive medium/long run are other options. Lifted some wieghts last night - figured it'd be good for aesthetics. Due for a medium/long run this evening.

Bugs

Hank is from Australia. I missed that. Hey I say our next group run is in the out back. Everybody up for it?

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

holy cow I just realized I was ~100 miles behind that danged bunny... not good for the ego! Undecided

Bugs

Shan, just pick a different bunny. I'm behind the 1500 bunny and that's my real goal. It's early in the season though. Ran 4.5 half today. Was so dizzy before I started decided to run because really I couldn't feel worse. Felt better after the run but could not have ran further. Is this what old age feels like?

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

oh bugs!!!
              Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Touching bases just to vent Very crappy day today and I CANNOT wait to run (about 138 minutes from now). wishing I was slated for a tempo run (they're the best for decompressing) but the medium/long run should clear my head quite nicely. My training partner says that her daily run is the only thing that keeps her out of the police blotter. I can totally relate.

Happy Camper

Times from the 5k were corrected today. 23:14 was my actual finish. The timing company blamed it on a software glitch. Finishers between 22 - 25 minutes lost :30+. Not 22:38, but not too bad either. Gives me some sort of plan for the 1/2 M on Saturday. Hope to run even splits the entire course. Hope to finish in 1:46. Took today as rest. It has rained for two days straight. I am looking forward to tomorrow and some sunshine.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

evanflein

Is this what old age feels like?
                    Oh would you just knock that off! For cryin' out loud. Buncha crybabies around here. Hmph. (says "miss alaska" as she sits on her 48-year-old butt wanting to run...) Bugs I do hope you're feeling better soon. I can believe that it's been an expensive year for you... MrI, I agree 100% I know my running has kept me from doing some things I would've regretted big time afterward. Other things, well I can only run so much... And you do what I do... watch the clock and countdown to running time! Some days that clock moves sooo slowly. P2R, congrats on the 5k time. For all the money and effort put into timing systems, it always amazes me how often it gets screwed up. Shan, yes, hills are considered quality work. Ditto to what MrInertia said. Looks like you got some good input on your training plan, just remember that you own the plan, it does not own you. Feel free to make tweaks and adjustments as needed for your knee and life in general. Hank! Welcome! Running in Australia, how fun (of course, to you it's normal, right?). I was in New Zealand a few years ago and had some wonderful trail runs around Queenstown. Loved it. Cash, biking with the g/f. Good stuff. Maybe you need to dial down the expectations on those rides... they can't all be training related. Sometimes a bike ride is just a bike ride, ya know? 20 miles done on Sunday... 2:51 something, overall pace was 8:36. Slipped and fell on the ice--hard on my knee--right after mile 1. Rough start... but it turned out well. Had a couple of 8:50 to 9 m/m at the start, then most were in the 8:15 to 8:35 range and always felt pretty good. Debated adding another couple of miles at the end, but my choices were 1) more hills or 2) more headwind. I decided the car looked pretty good and got in to go home. DH had a fresh pot of coffee brewed and was making grilled ham and cheese sandwiches and tomato soup when I got home. Very nice. Elliptical and weights last night, quick 5 mile TM run tonight then a 2-day trip to Anchorage Wed/Thurs. I'll get my runs done, just barely, but probably not much time to post. Good thing this is a cutback week anyway.
                      Hi all More than welcome to come for a run down under!It's been bloody hot here lately (96F with overnight lows in the high 70's). It is a a good place to run but I reckon any where not polluted or smelly is good for that. Was in the USA April/May last year and managed to squeeze some runs in Central Park and along the Hudson River when in New York, the killer hills in San Fran and along the beaches in Hawaii - all very cool. This will be my fourth marathon but certainly my best prepared. My first marathon I got ITB two days before the race and limped through the last 1/3 of the race, unable to run which was really frustrating. I got to the finish line and actually didn't feel exhausted which was annoying. 5:12 for the first, 3 months later pulled off a 4:15 and then a 3:42 at the same race as my first attempt a year later. I've since done a few half's and a season of triathlon but really keen to get back to the marathon distance and the psychological battle associated with it! Aiming to go sub 3:30 this year which will be a big ask. In all honestly my goals are 1. Finish, 2. Sub 4:00 and then 3 sub 3:30. Thanks to every one for been so welcoming, I'll have to be sure that i check this group more regularly - particularly as i seem to be on this site just about every day! Hank

Just running for the fun of it!

Bugs

Oh look Ms Ancient Alaska had time to post, I feel so worthy. Tongue How are you feeling? Inertia, how'd the run go? Hi HANK! Love that name. Quick Post: 6 miles at a nice clip, tummy a little funny but awesome run after a streak of bad ones and a great day of VRAA points. I am so back in the game. You know what this place needs? A dancing banana.

Bugs

I'm here to vent as well, sorry guys. We got between 4 and 5 inches of rain in the last 24 hours (meaning the streets were semi-flooded), it was low 40s and still pouring. 2 of the 3 and I'd probably have toughed out the streets, but I was feeling weak today, and kinda wanted to watch a basketball game, so went to the gym. 5.5 miles later and I was ready for a room with padded walls. Shins are still a bit pissed about the 5k Saturday, but feeling better after my 5.5 tonight than they were after my 3 (cut it short) yesterday. Hope to get 8 in tomorrow, because I can see running being a bit tough once the NCAA tourney starts Thursday!

Happy Camper

Yea Bugs! Smile

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Oh Mighty Wing

well that DID liven things up a bit!! Big grin
                              Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Well, I'm overtrained or at least, as Pfitz calls it, over reached. Last night I struggled to get to 8 miles. Here's the full story. http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/d4d26039c4da4fb8a1faeb50fb4edec2 ugh