Marathon Trainers

Week of 3/17-3/23 (Read 205 times)

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Ok, this is going to stand as a monument to my stupidity. I knew I had added too much and it bit me in the butt. I'm having breakfast with my mentor tomorrow after my long run and he asked me to bring my schedule and log. I printed them out and it just dawned on me how stupid I was. Check this out: 1. One run with striders 2. One tempo run (longest one I've done) 3. Two, count them TWO progressive runs, one of which was a medium/long run the other was supposed to be a long run. 4. Ran 10 miles than my previous highest week, even considering I stopped my long run at only 12.5 (would have been 16 miles longer had I been able to finish my long run) 5. First attempt at 6x per week running DUH! Walks away sheepishly MTA - really glad the wheels fell off instead of getting injured.

Bugs

Inertia, I saw. Logs don't lie do they. I looked at the monthly graph, my mileage sucks compared to what it was last year. OH well, I'm getting the miles in now. The snow is NOT melting.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

Mr I - you are lucky! and it's a lesson learned hopefully for you. I don't see the need to slink away. All the stupid things we do here reminds me of one of many teaching philosophies... My students think i'm a little crazy and that I only have two emotions - happy and pissed off. I do this on purpose for the better part of the year because it gives them a very clear line with very clear indications of when they cross it. And it only takes one or two crossings for them to know where the line is. From watching my students I learned that we only learn where the line is by crossing it and even then we have to try it a few times to make sure 1) it's really a line and 2) we know exactly where it is. So just like I had to push my body over the edge so did you and it seems so has every last one of our group at some point or another. The only time we need to feel bad about it is when we don't learn anything from it. Take me for example, I learned that I have gaps in my knees and that I need to build up my leg muscles so I can keep running. You hopefully learned that on weeks you are going to push yourself in 1 way you need to back off with something else. We will always make mistakes the key is to learn from them and move on. And always keep one eye on the line. so, the hip started hurting yesterday and by last night I was in bad pain. This morning i almost fell out of bed because my hip didn't want to move. So it loosened up a little so i thought well i guess i'll still give the run a try. 1.25 mile in my knee was sore, by 1.4 there was pain so i walked. I think it is directly related to my hip. And i think my hip hurt because of this one exercise that felt weird doing it. So i'm gonna ice and rest and give another run a shot on Monday. And get my butt back to the gym because i didn't go all week.
        evanflein

Erika's cold water bath has that feeling ok now....
          Ok, I don't know about you guys, but finding out Cash was in my bath is a little disconcerting. He didn't even say hi or leave a note. Hmph. (hope the hammies are doing ok, drain the tub next time, ok?) Bugs... Big grin Glad to see you're running better, you young punk. Sorry about the sour milk. That's gotta be bad... Shan, my goodness girl. You do type a lot! Hope the legs are cooperating... yes the knee and hip things are most likely related. When one joint is hurt, if you insist on continuing the activity that hurts it you will compensate for it in ways that can hurt other things. I think this is how my shin splints led to my knee problems in 2006 (that, and a non-running related stupid move getting out of the car... but that's another story). I like the Zen running thing you and Bugs are working with. Yes, running by feel can be very beneficial. But be careful cuz sometimes you're feeling so good you'll go out and hurt yourself. Just ask Cashman. Inertia... that stuff was all in one week? And you were wondering why you got burned out? Hmmm, sometimes it does help to have it stuck right in your face, I guess. Good luck on coming up with (and sticking to) a workable plan... Got back late last night from a 2-day meeting in Anchorage. Got my 8 miler in on Wednesday in the Worlds Worst "Fitness Room." Why do these hotels figure they can claim a "state of the art" fitness center when they've just stuck some equipment (that they apparently don't know how to maintain) in what looks like an oversized closet... No attention to ventilation or space needs. Just irritates me to no end. Oh well, got it done and glad to cross that one off. No running yesterday cuz of meetings and travel, so I'm swapping Friday's usual rest day status with Thursday and I'll run tonight when the boys are at soccer. My bib # for Boston is 19179... starting way at the back of the pack in the 19th corral. I think that's the last one. Oh well, that's ok. I'll just have to run over all the crap the 19,000 runners before me tossed on the ground!
          Cashmason

Well Erika, I wiped down the shower curtain and the ring around the tub. Waved Hello to Peter and the kids. Not sure if they saw me or not. If there had been something that smelled good on the stove, I might have stayed for supper. Guess it was your night to eat out. This just in from a friend of mine in Hotlanta (Atlanta) about her business trip to Minneapolis. As a side note, do not let people in Minnesota fool you with their "ooohhh... I'm so tough I live in the cold" act. What I noticed was that everywhere we went was SWELTERING hot inside. Heat cranked up to like eleventy billion degrees. It always felt good to actually go outside. Seriously. Wimps . I ventured into the Mall of America since we got stuck at a hotel there after the Northwest debacle on Wednesday night. I saw as much as I needed to see in about the first 4 minutes inside. Definitely not my thing but I guess for die hard shoppers and people that live in climates where they can only go to amusement parks for like 8 days out of the year, it works. Heh. Had a great meal at Twin Cities Grill. The bartender there mixes a mean margartia. Uh oh... I'm seeing a theme... 18 plus miles running today for Team Intimidation. Think I need new shoes. The ball of my left foot got a bit sore starting around mile 10. Legs feel surprising good after that long a run. Didn't have time for Erika's ice bath this time as I needed to pick up the s/o from the eye doctor. Bike race tomorrow. May bail on it if the energy doesnt return to my legs. Its a very hilly course and it may hit 80 degrees tomorrow in the canyon.

Oh Mighty Wing

Erica - i'm on spring break this week and playing on RA was my way of getting out of work i should have been doing. Sorry to hear about the fitness closet! but yeah for getting it in. The hip was non-running related. It was PT leg press related - knew as soon as I had to double in half to sit in the machine it was a bad idea, but who am I to argue with the PT. Roll eyes I'm SO excited about you running Boston!! How are the coral's set up? Is it based on how fast your qualifying time was? Just think it's not just any trash you will be stepping on it's qualified trash!! Big grin OMG are you EWS???????????? AND your bib is in the 19hundreds! there are 25 thousand in the field! That means many more people will be stepping on your trash then people's you are stepping on! MTA: holy cow and you spell your name with a k Blush i'm sorry i spell it wrong! I was looking up my uncle who qualified but apparently didn't register (he's been having hip issues and doctor told him to stop running if he didn't want hip surgery) so then i looked you up too!

Happy Camper

Turned out not too be my day. PR for the 1/2M is 1:48:19 ran last October. I was planning to lower it today given the training since then and the course today. Fewer hills and cooler weather. North wind was a bit of a challenge but nothing that should have derailed an effort. My plan was to run 8:00mm and finish around 1:46. Here's how it turned out: 1.) 7:56 2.) 8:05 3.) 8:51 (natural break) 4.) 7:53 5.) 8:19 6.) 7:59 7.) 8:10 8.) 8:38 9.) 8:25 10.) 8:41 11.) 8:45 12.) 8:51 13.) 8:49 14.) 1:45 (8:10mm avg.) Total Time: 1:51:09, 8:25 mm avg., 166bpm HR = 82% of HRR. I'll benefit some from taper the next two weeks. It just proves I won't be able to get cute at the start in St. Louis. I'll have to be disciplined about keeping it between 8:50 - 9:10 mm avg early or I will not have much of a shot at going sub 4:00.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

evanflein

Hey P2R they can't all be PRs. Good effort though. Will probably pay off long term as a good training run. Shan... not 19hundreds.... I'm 19thousand 179... almost in the very back. Looked up others from Fairbanks... for a small town we sure have a lot of strong running talent. My son's XC coach (four time Equinox winner) is running it this year and he's in the first corral. Another strong runner who has been winning the Equinox a lot lately (like four in a row thru 2006) is in the second corral. Of all the runners from my town, I'm in the back of the bus. Tongue Oh well, like I've said before, I'm not in this thing to win it or anything... Cash, I agree. Although I have to say, one of the drawbacks for me of going to souther Cal or Florida is all the places (restaurants, stores, offices) are so over air conditioned it drives me nuts. I have to go outside to avoid hypothermia!! Oh, and Cash you'll like this... VRAA is offering bonus points for swimming... I think I'll venture into the pool today!! I had an awesome run last night... Went out for a hilly route to just get some hills in, found out it was a lot windier than I thought. 19F, clear skies, 10-15 mph steady wind from the North. Brrrr! Glad I had my headband on so my ears were ok. First couple miles of hilly stuff felt good so on the straight stretches I moved it out a little. Overall pace for 7.3 miles was 8:14 m/m... mile 5 was 7:44! That was fun... Today I'll take it easier and aim for 8-9 miles. The entire bikepath on our main road has been plowed so that's nice, just have to watch for ice. Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Oh Mighty Wing

oh sorry guess i haven't learned how to read yet! Either way it's great that you are going!! P2R - I think you can go it!

Bugs

Cash, I love the Twin Cities but I love it for restaurants and stuff I can do with my kids like taking them to the children's theater. The mall of america is more for tourists than for Minnesotians. Tell her thank you for not making fun of our accents and our "Ya-betchas". P2R, I would be estatic over a time like that. Maybe not a PR but you seem like your running in general is much faster than last fall. That time for a HM makes a sub-4 sound piece of cake for you. Do you remember last spring, when I was not sure about my sub-4 goal? The only reason I went for it was because of what you said, you said based on my HM time (1:54) and my last 20 (ran the last 5 at marathon pace) you told me to go for it. You're running faster and will have better training than I was, so guess you have to go for it. Smile Erika, Great run. You amaze me. I looked up the local people here running Boston and was very envious. I've never gotten the BQ bug, haven't been running long enough to do the necessary training, but looking at the list made me want to join the club, maybe one day. Enjoy the run, I hear it's like no other. 12.5 miles with some friends. Not sure on the time, we were probably averging 9:40 miles. A guy stopped and lectured us for being on the right side of the road, not sure why we had moved to the right..I just said, "You're right not sure why we are not on the left. Thanks for the reminder." Stupid of us. Run felt harder that it should have. Had to stop and cough a few times, lungs and head are not totally back yet. Was at the Y swimming with the kids and two ironmen friends had bronchities too, and took more time off than me and still struggling. So if they can get sick, I guess I can too, and I can stop beating myself up about it. Funny they found it easier to swim than run while getting over it. This weeks a cutback week. Decided to follow Hal Higdon's Int I marathon plan for awhile even though I'm not marathon training. The HM plans seem too light in miles, and I don't want to train full out for a marathon with no marathon to run. One of the guys we ran with is using coolrunning's beginner 4 hour marathon plan. Curious what you guys think of it? To me it's a litttle nuts, serious low week miles and too long of LRs. It's his first marathon and he's really strugging on the schedule. It has two 26 mile runs on it, we talked him out of the one and I tried to talk him out of the other two. He said that he wanted to run the 26 so that when it came to the marathon he knew he could do it. I said, "that might back fire." You might be able to run 26 in training, but because you ran it in training you can't in the marathon. I feel pretty strongly that running 26 in training is a bad idea. Even Deana Kastor only ran to 24 miles. (course she ran several).

Bugs

Cashmason

When I ran the Athens Greece marathon with Jeff Galloway a couple of years ago, he was very big on training for over distance. Ie for a marathon have training runs in the 28 - 29 mile range. BUT not for first timers. Too big a chance for injury. The advantage of running close to 26 miles is your body gets used to it, and can hold pace for that long. Things usually fall apart once you get past your longest distance training run. The disadvantage is, running 20 plus milers really beats up your body, especially the first training cycle. Thus you increase your chances of injury. Thats the reason you see so many first timer marathoner's plans max out right around 20 miles. Reduce the chaces of injury since they don't have the base of years of running. They will survive the last 6 miles and finish the race, but thats often where they slow their pace significantly.
                        Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Bugs - didn't like most of the coolrunning marathon plans for much the same as Pace. Way too much emphasis on the long run without enough mileage to support it. I've come to realize that long runs don't give nearly the benefit that many think without supporting mileage, especially the medium/long runs. I think someone would do much better maxing out at 20 with a 14 mile midweek run than someone who runs 26 miles and only a 10 mile mid week run. Did 16 miles progressive run today - felt decent. Was really comfortable all the way through 13 miles and only had to dig the last little bit.

Bugs

Cash, Reminded me of when we listened to Hal Higdon at Grandma's expo. He told us a story of a girl that ran 24 miles and got hurt the last mile. He said, had she saved that run for the marathon she could have found a way to hobble/walk the rest of the way and still completed the marathon, but instead he got hurt in her LR and had to miss the marathon. I stand by my advice to the guy and not to run more than 22 miles.

Bugs

Cashmason

28 miles on the bike today 22 of it a race. Note to self doing a bike race the day after an 18 mile long run = slow race time. A couple hundred yards of swim drills in the backyard pool, just for Erika and the swim bonus for vraa. Foam roller still helping to keep the IT band monster away.
                              Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Day of rest for me Happy Easter to all! DD is staying at MIL for two days. I see a 7:30 bed time for me tonight!