Marathon Trainers

Week of 5/24 (Read 226 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

New week.  Let's go get it!

Started out with a nice run this morning - quick easy run just under 5 miles.  It's really starting to get hot and humid.  Not liking summer temps too much right now.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Had a great time on Saturday. When I did this race last year I had no idea what to expect. I remember thinking oh it's in NJ so it can't be all that bad. WRONG WRONG WRONG. The area is beautiful HOWEVER between all the tree roots and river rocks it makes running a bit difficult. I've ran on technical trails exactly 6 times now. I did a Half mary and 30k in 2006, a 725 mile race in the dead of winter,  this same race last year, a short run last Tuesday and then the race yesterday. After I injured my ankle a mile and a half before the finish line at my 30k I swore off trails until I was done road racing. LOL  and here I am 3 more trail races afterwards. I think my fear of training on trails is (or was) that I'll end up injuring myself and screwing up my road running. Anyway despite not being trained for it I was able to enjoy this years South Mountain much more than last year. I finished feeling like if not  for the lack of trail training (physically as well as mentally) I would have had no problem finishing the full 100k, however since I hadn't  trained it was just too risky. Turns out that out of the 11 women that showed up for the 100k only 2 of them actually finished it. The rest stopped at 50k. Other than taking a few wrong turns (adding more mileage to my last  loop of the race) and stopping a bit too long  at the 20.7 (start/finish) mark I'm very happy with my performance. No falls this year and I think a little less turned ankles though enough that the muscle/tendon on the outside of my leg is sore when dh massaged it. I'll be getting back to the trails in a couple weeks (once those muscle/tendons have had a chance to heal) and hope to do a lot of trail running this summer.

Oh and I finished 4th out of 9 women and 19th out of 39 runners Smile Not bad for a road racer (soon to be trail racer)

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Nice run there Paul!

I agree about not liking summer too much right now. I hate the transition to the heat/humidity

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Nice job Pam !!!

I can really see that you'd excel in ultras/trail races if that were your focus. When's the next one?

It's definately a transition running in the heat/humidity. I felt a bit frustrated during my runs this weekend. Just had to remind myself that this is TRAINING and running in the heat will better prepare me for the Fall marathons.

Off day today. Back at it tomorrow.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I love trails, except for not wanting ticks or poison ivy, and not wanting to twist an ankle -- so I have mixed feelings toward them. There is a 50K one coming up that I think I'll do -- it is a three-looper, with aid stations at opposite sides, so it's easy to bail out after any loop or half-loop. I volunteered it last year, which meant waking up at 0400 or something, and not getting back til nightfall, so actually running the 50K would use up less of my day...

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Next race is on the 13th of June. Next trail race MAY be a 50k in early October. I've been wanting to sign up for it the past few years however I always keep forgetting to sign up before it's too late.

Runs during transition to the heat and humidity can be VERY frustrating. Heat and humidity makes me nauseous until I get used to it. Enjoy your day off Murph!

Perry I had to get up at 3am and I think I got home around 5 pm.  I say run the 50k! I'm thinking of doing some volunteering at some of the trail races in NJ.

Got in a nice 6.2 mile run today. BOY my quads are sore! Running uphill felt awesome but going downhill my legs didn't want to bend. Flat felt great too. Looking forward to a deep tissue massage from dh tonight (well as much as you can for a painful massage lol)

evanflein

Lots of nice running around here this past week/weekend! You guys all rock.

Look at Bugs with that shiny new HM PR! Way to go, girlfren!

And Paul with his 5k PR. You're right on the distance: it sucks when it's wrong on either side. I mean, how hard is it to measure a 5k??

Pam, that was probably a real smart thing to do when you cut to the 50k. You are so right in that running on those trails takes focus. I love trail running. The marathon/ultra I do here every year is probably 2/3 trail and 1/3 road, and some of the trail parts can be almost like mountain goat trails!

I had some transition to heat running issues this weekend, and we're not even very hot by the standards you guys deal with! Saturday's run ended up being 18.6 miles in temps that were warmer than I was expecting: 71 at the end. I really didn't hydrate well enough or have a good plan for drinking on the run. Paid for it with calf cramps and headache near the end. I was hoping to run 18-20, so happy enough with the distance, just mad that I made such a newbie error on the hydration plan (or lack of it). Sunday's run was 11 hilly miles, water and S-cap before I left, DH brought me water mid-run and I had more immediately after. Much better. I used to be able to run long without water, DH teased me I was like a camel. Well, can't seem to do that anymore so need to be better at planning.

This week is a cutback week, but I'll be picking up the pace on the gardening and such. Looks like a gorgeous week, weather-wise!

(heh, fixed that, Lou)

theyapper

On the road again...

71F is warm no matter where you live.  Way to stick it out for the long run, Erika.

I must have missed Bugs getting a PR at her half.  Awesome.

Paul

Yes, 71° is warm -- I start complaining  whining when it gets above 65!

Pam!  Very nice!  I am definitely afraid of trail running (train running, Erika? heh).  I know I'll turn an ankle.

Erika - no water for 18-20?  I couldn't.  I remember one warm run I underhydrated and started feeling really sluggish after 15.  Never again.

Well we are officially out of home brew in our house.  How did I let this happen?  Maybe it's the working every weekend thing -- that's going to go on for a few more weeks, too, but I do have to find some time to brew as there are a couple of events which require some of my beer coming up.

Finally got my plan together for the fall marathons, and it looks like 8s every Tuesday and 9s every Thursday for a while.  Back to getting up (even) early(ier).  Ugh.

MTA:

65°F and humid (95%).  I kept my pace but only barely.  I was "supposed" to do 10 striders, but ran out of gas after 4.  Did 2 more later in the run, but you can't really see them in my pace chart.  I guess the striders weren't really much faster than the "GA" pace I was holding.

8 miles @ 8:11/mi

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

theyapper

On the road again...

Same weather here this morning, Lou.  64F and 95% humidity.  Did 6 miles: 1 warm-up, 3 tempo and then 2 easy to finish.

Have a great day everyone!

Paul

71F is warm no matter where you live.  Way to stick it out for the long run, Erika.

AMEN

Nice runs Lou and Paul Smile

Got a 10k run in. I sweat like a pig however the run wasn't too bad. Guess it's time for Mother Nature to turn it up a notch (not that I would be happy with that just seems my luck)

Hawt and sexy

So it's 81 here. It should be a fun run today.

I'm touching your pants.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Did my hardest workout yet -- ran with a friend who was doing a workout that I thought sounded too hard, but we got through it, and he was ahead of me on every part: 3200, 2400, 1600, 800, each at 5K pace, with 5min rest. mid-80s, and I got both tired and warm. But I was so glad it was a descending pyramid, so it was always a shorter (& therefore psychologically easier) distance next.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

evanflein

Wow, Perry! Awesome run you had.

I ran 6 miles at lunchtime. Temps around 70, lots of little flies out (gnats? seems too early for them) and they were all stuck to my sweaty self when I was done. Ewww. Sort of a progression run

8:29

8:32

8:22

8:08

7:56

and last .5 mile at 7:23 (this felt like all out almost RTYP effort)

then .5 mile up the hill to my office building at 8:59, which sounds easy but it was hard (steep).

Walked about .3 mile trying to cool off; I was all sweaty and very red faced. Temps not bad but this was all in full sun and felt hot. Got to go to my 2 pm meeting still looking like a sweaty mess.