Marathon Trainers

Week of 1/18/10 (Read 241 times)

Bugs

I just did some ab work in my office waiting for clients to call. I'm in computer crap not working hell today, wouldn't be that big of deal but it was with folks i need to whoo. I'm a little feverish/sick. Dave I'll trade with you in a heart-beat, well today's hell anyway.

Pam, foot seems fine. I'm overdue for a good run & strong swim, but aint' going to happen today. You like that P90X huh? Figures you got muscles like no woman I know, really was too hard for me. But I've been trying to do more upper body stuff, my arms are so sore today, but I gotta work with lower weights than my own body weight.

So love not having a coach to answer to this year. Last year I had a heck of a time getting permission to run a simple fun run, and now I'm like a teenager with their parents not home. I can't say no to any of these small races. Anyone ever had a race shirt quilt made? Boy do I have shirts.

My RP's problem is a hurt disc. That sounds bad.

Bugs

Dave

MTA: If I use that formula with 212 as my max, I get 212 - 52 (resting) = 160 * .7 = 112 + 52 (resting) = 164.  That last number goes up to 180 if I use .8 in the formula.  Do I just have an abnormally high HR?  

You might.  I'd want to see some sustained readings close to that level to confirm it.  The formula I gave you is the "Karvonen method" and I've found it to be more useful than the straight percentage way of calculating it. 

If 212 is correct, I'd use 180 as the top end of my "easy-middle" paced days and use 164 as my ceiling for "easy" days and adjust from there.

MTA:  No coach for me.  I depend on all of you to kick me in the ass when I need it though.  I'm going to the gym after work today and running  until I forget work.  Then back in DC tomorrow night.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Hawt and sexy

Um ok.  My max HR is around 220.  177-180 is my Marathon pace.  Thee is no way in hell you are getting me to train at that pace every day. i would die. 

I am like just crazy hyper.

I am e-flirting agin.

My cat is staring at me.

I need to run yet today.  Four like a little more than an hour.

I'm touching your pants.

Paul, I agree with what Dave and Erika was saying about HR.  Regarding the formula Dave used, I think that is HRR or heart rate reserve, where you judge based on the difference between resting and max HR.  I usually use %age of max HR as my guidelines.  Doesn't really matter but I think the range %ages for %MHR is a bit higher than the range %ages for %HRR.  Anyway I judge MP to be about 80% MHR, and steady runs maybe a little less than that.  So if 212 is right then 170 is about 80% using that formula.  (No, Amanda, I wouldn't run that pace every day either Smile ).

I ran yesterday -- 5 miles easy.  Inner thigh hurt some, noticeably starting at 1.7 miles, then seemed to subside -- I noticed that around 3.8.  I figured this is ok, and if I hadn't had the acute problem earlier I wouldn't think twice about that.  But the soreness persisted the rest of the day, and is there even now, so I'm taking some more time off.  Kinda annoying.  Hopefully this doesn't become an issue for skiing this weekend.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

theyapper

On the road again...

Paul, I agree with what Dave and Erika was saying about HR.  Regarding the formula Dave used, I think that is HRR or heart rate reserve, where you judge based on the difference between resting and max HR.  I usually use %age of max HR as my guidelines.  Doesn't really matter but I think the range %ages for %MHR is a bit higher than the range %ages for %HRR.  Anyway I judge MP to be about 80% MHR, and steady runs maybe a little less than that.  So if 212 is right then 170 is about 80% using that formula.  (No, Amanda, I wouldn't run that pace every day either Smile ).

The more I think about it, the more I'm okay with it.  I think the pace for the run was around 9:45/mile, and if that was my MP (as 80% of MHR), then that would translate into 4:15 marathon.  For me, that'd be a 33 minute PR!  I think my target easy run AHR needs to be in the 150's or so.

Of course, I look at some of you guys that are running in the 8-8:45 m/m range and your HRs are in the 140s and I just drool.  I think I had assumed that when I had run almost 2,000 miles, my HR would be lower, but maybe I just don't understand the HR thing.

One thing I do understand: running more can't hurt, so I can't let the numbers mess with my head too much.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Hail to The Victors!

Anyone ever had a race shirt quilt made? Boy do I have shirts.

My RP's problem is a hurt disc. That sounds bad.

My mom is a quilter.  A few more race shirts (the non wicking kind), and she's totally making me a race shirt quilt.  I've also asked her to do a metal shirt quilt (from all of the metal concerts my wife and I have gone to), and she's all for it. 

I'm working out the heart rate stuff myself, and still haven't quite worked my way around what my MHR is. I got up there the other day, but I don't think I quite got to my max.  Hopefully there won't be any snow on the ground during my 5K in a couple of weeks, and I'll be able to get fast enough to figure it out.

Bugs

Jeremy,

I need a Mom like yours. I'm probably paying to have one made. Lucky you.

DS and I are home sick. Should kick in a day if I keep forcing myself to drink. Just a bad cold w. light fever.

I wish Quad Cities Marathon was open, because I'm stoked about it. Check out this course. You run on an island. Not the fastest course, but best I can find around here.  You get to mark off Iowa and Illinouis if yr're doing the 50 state thing.

Bugs

LOTS OF GET BETTER VIBES TO BUGS AND DS!!!!!!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

theyapper

On the road again...

LOTS OF GET BETTER VIBES TO BUGS AND DS!!!!!!!

+1 (or 2 since there are 2 under the weather)

Nice run today, even if it was in a cold rain with an 11mph wind smacking me in the face.  Pace was only slightly slower than my run yesterday, but my AHR was considerably lower (158 today vs 170 yesterday).

Maybe yesterday was just an odd occurrence.  At any rate, this one today felt awesome.

MTA: when I quote someone, the spaces between the paragraphs go bye bye.  Is that just me?

Paul

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Looks odd to me to see the Mississippi run E-W (in the QC map).

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

MTA: when I quote someone, the spaces between the paragraphs go bye bye.  Is that just me?

no it happens to everyone

The trick is to put one space on the line between the paragraphs.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Happy Camper

Looks odd to me to see the Mississippi run E-W (in the QC map).

That's exactly right.  Quad Cities USA even the river runs the wrong way.  That will be a steep hill at the start running north into Bettendorf.  I lived in Davenport and worked in Moline in the late 80's until 92.  River Drive will be a nice flat run overlooking the river.  Running the bridges and onto Arsenal Island would be fun too. 

How's everyone doing?

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Kimmie

Hi Pace!!!   I've been wondering about you-   How are you??   I've seen some of your log posts on FB... still running strong, I see.

Let's see.... Wednesday I took the day off b/c of some weird neck pain.  Mostly gone now.   Not really following the schedule too much this week.   Yesterday ran 6 miles with some pickups at the end.    Tomorrow is 18 miles and hopefully there won't be too much ice on the trail.   I don't really want to attempt yaktrak....

So today, is either 3 miles easy or cross training.   Bugs has inspired me to swim.  Smile    

And re: quilts.... there is an RA friend, TriKev-   his wife makes those quilts.   I could get the link to her website, if you're interested, Bugs.  I have also wanted to get one, but they're really expensive.   I have so many shirts and they're just stacked in my closet.  I only wear the tech ones from time to time.

We had our Girls on the Run Banquet last night.   I find these girls to be so inspiring.  If you want to get back your love of running, just go run with some kids.  They don't overthink it or obsess about their times, or worry about weight gain, they just have fun.    DH made a couple of videos of the girls running and it brought tears to everyone's eyes.  Just to see these girls smiling and red faced, running on the day of their 5K in the sleet/snow....    He may post it on FB, guess we'll have to get parent's permission to do that.

Have a good day all...  wish we could organize a Blister group run.... maybe more virtual races or something like that.

theyapper

On the road again...

Rest day for me today.  Friend and I are really kicking the idea around about coming up to DC and running the national half on March 20.  Be cool to meet some of you guys there if we come.

Paul

Hail to The Victors!

Jeremy,

I need a Mom like yours. I'm probably paying to have one made. Lucky you.

DS and I are home sick. Should kick in a day if I keep forcing myself to drink. Just a bad cold w. light fever.

I wish Quad Cities Marathon was open, because I'm stoked about it. Check out this course. You run on an island. Not the fastest course, but best I can find around here.  You get to mark off Iowa and Illinouis if yr're doing the 50 state thing.

I was there last year on the same day as the race, and I didn't even know it.  My cousin got married there last on October, and the parts of the course that I saw looked pretty good.  I wouldn't have been able to run it even if I had known.  It was the day after the wedding,and I just don't know if I could have made it to bed that early. ;-) 

10 today where the ball started rolling, and I worked it nicely.  We've now gone 10 days without any snowfall, and the sidewalks and streets are completely clear of snow.  Really nice to not have to deal with it.