Marathon Trainers

Week of 3/21/2011 (Read 218 times)

Good luck Paul, I'm sure you'll get your groove on race day.

Here's my plan -

Miles 1 and 2 - 8:45

Miles 3-13 -  8:30

Miles 13-20 - 8:13, or whatever pace is comfortable (less or more)

Miles 20-26.2, scrape out every last bit of energy I have

I'd have to do the final 6 at an 8:06 pace, which is three seconds faster than my last half marathon pace, so isn't likely, but a 30 seconds here and there improved (as you can't get spot on with your garmin and pacing) and I could still (logically) do it in 3:45.  That would be a PR by 10 minutes, so it will be a stretch.  The only good part about turning 35 this year is that 3:45 will be my Boston qualifying time, a month before my next planned marathon. 

I know a couple of people doing the race, so when I double back and pass them along the path at least I'll see some happy faces. 

Happy Camper

Rest day from running for me today with weight lifting for the Bone Study after work.  I've decided to adjust my goals for Saturday's 1/2.  I'm going for 1:45.  My 5k times have been good predictors for races up to 10-miles.  The course at Sedalia is pretty consistant with all the hills being quick ups and downs so I think a pace of an 8:00 minute mile could be had by me. Last Saturday's 5k pace average was 7:15.   My best time there is 1:51.  It's typically more an indicator of the shape I'm in in March compared to Fall.  My 1/2 PR is 1:48 that I ran in 2007.  If I finish this strong it will make me much more confident on a time to shoot for at St. Louis on April 10th.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

good luck Saturday, I hear it's going to rain.  Hopefully the rainclouds are in my neck of the woods.

Dave

Sounds like a good plan, Gen.

3.5 for me today easy on the treadmill.  We got like 2 inches of ice so I won't be running outside much.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

theyapper

On the road again...

Looks like we'll have some nice cool weather for the DC races on Saturday.  I am one paranoid freak right now - one son came home from school yesterday throwing up, and today the other son came home with chills and low fever.  It's hard to wave at your kids from the other end of the house, but I do NOT want to be sick Saturday.  I even thought of going up to DC a day early just to get away, but of course, that's crazy.  Roll eyes

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Kimmie

Do we want to find a place that opens earlier?
              Cashmason

A.G.  

I wasn't making fun of your vocabulary.   I do tend to tease friends a bit,  but in a playful  non hurtful manner.

It is hard to convey that, when you can't see my facial expressions or tone of voice.

oh trust me, I'm one of those people that makes fun of everything and doesn't offend easily.  Wink

Dave

oh trust me, I'm one of those people that makes fun of everything and doesn't offend easily.  Wink

Probably a good thing with Cash around. 

Paul, if you go to DC early, I bet you can do some sight seeing Roll eyes

dgb2n@yahoo.com

hope you're (still) feeling ok Paul and that your family is better.

Good luck to everyone running this weekend.

I'm supposed to do my final 20... or 22...we'll see.

Kimmie

Should be interesting tomorrow. I promise to train for the next one. Guys, what time are we shooting for a meet up?

I might be inside keeping warm.  There were some folks from work who wanted to meet by the bag drop, but we'll see if that happens.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

theyapper

On the road again...

I'll most def be inside the armory keeping warm.  Probably somewhere near the bathrooms... Wink

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Dave

I woke up thinking about our National runners. Have fun guys!! Also, Go Wildcats!! (for DW who is a proud UK grad this morning)

dgb2n@yahoo.com

1:37:03 (unofficial).  Possibly I could have broken 1:37 had I not gone out so fast.  Struggled a bit for the last three miles, but had a small kick at the end.

Missed seeing Paul and Kim at Mr. Henry's, but loved the breakfast there.

13.1 miles, 1:37:03, 7:25/mi, AHR 169 (82% MHR)

From Garmin:
                                1 - 7:28(189)
                                2 - 7:11(166)
                                3 - 7:04(163)
                                4 - 7:09(164)
                                5 - 7:25(168)
                                6 - 7:02(171) (not really -- lost satellite under Dupont Circle)
                                7 - 7:40(174) (hardest hill on the course, started during 5th mile, really steep in 7th)
                                8 - 7:11(171)
                                9 - 7:10(169)
                                10 - 7:07(169)
                                11 - 7:22(168) (starting to fall apart)
                                12 - 7:38(170)
                                13 - 7:22(172) (trying to push, hill held me back a bit)
                                14 - 2:14(179) [0.33=6:45]

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com