Marathon Trainers

Week of 9/6/2010 (Read 145 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I got in just over 6mi in what turned out to be a progression run, from abt 8min/mi to a bit under 7min/mi. Felt good and fun, but was tired and sweaty at end. Going to get some hills tomorrow.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

theyapper

On the road again...

Did an easy 3 mile run on the beach.  Ran barefoot, which felt great.  Out and back - ran into the wind for the first 1.5 miles and with the tailwind back.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Bryan is recovering quickly!

Nice runs, Perry and Paul.

I, too, did a little 3 miler this morning.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Kimmie

Good Morning Guys!

I ran with a friend this morning.  5.25 miles with 5 minutes of walking in the beginning and again at the end.  Pace was pretty decent in the middle.  Felt good to be running in 70 degrees this morning.

Have a good one all!

evanflein

Nice beach running, Paul. I love it when there's a tailwind on the return trip!

Yeah, that Bryan is a machine. Hey, what was the end result of that training program? Weren't they testing you guys against a control group or something? Or is it still going on?

I ran before my dinner meeting last night, got drenched in a downpour, and almost hit by a car. This guy came down a side road (about 1.5 miles into my run) in a black Mustang convertible, looking the OTHER way (to oncoming traffic) but I thought he'd seen me. After all, I was wearing a bright yellow shirt and coming up to the intersection as he was coming down the road. He pulled out right in front of me! I yelled "Hey!!!" really loud and pounded the side of his car with my fist (yes, he was that close!). He hesitated, looked back and saw me, then gunned it and took off. I think he didn't want me to get his license #, and indeed I didn't. Grrr. Pissed me off. Might have accounted for the overall 7:46 pace on this run. 6.3 miles total, 7:46 avg pace overall.

Mile paces were (this was a slightly hilly run, mostly uphill the first 3 miles, reverse on the way back);

8:19

8:15 (this includes a good uphill part AND the run in with the car)

7:30

7:32

7:22

7:30

7:52 for the last .3 mile

It rained again all night and while we need the rain, I'm tired of the mud already. It's looking like it's brightening up and might dry up enough for a lunchtime run, which would be good. Long range forecast for the Equinox is good with mostly sunny skies and temps in the 50's to 60 most of next week. Yay!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Lot of idiots too dumb to look both ways. Glad that one didn't hit you.

Cashmason

Glad you didnt get hit Erika.

Lots of drivers here like that too.  They look to see that they dont get hit,  never look the other direction to see what they might hit.  Even if the head turns,  they dont see runners.

I hit the side of a car with my palm last week for the same reason.

3 miles last night after cycle class.

Happy Camper

Very glad you didn't get hit Erika.  You have to hate those people who only look left while turning right.  My loop takes me past a McDonalds entrance and a Convience Store parking lot entrance.  The two sit side by side.  I always have to be careful because drivers turning right out of the parking lots will gun it while looking left to beat the oncoming traffic.  The study I'm in will be going on for some time.  It is a multi-year study.  They are still looking for subjects to start.  I'll get another dexa scan at the end of my year to see if I regained bone density. 

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Hawt and sexy

*runs nakey through thread*

I'm touching your pants.

A willamona sighting!

I missed that about Bryan's study.

Erika, I'm not surprised the guy didn't see you.  It's maddening but I think will happen.  When I see someone coming up from a side-street on my left, unless I actually can make eye contact with the person (maybe 50% of the time), I play it safe and run behind their car.

4 recovery miles with 6x20s striders for me this morning...

theyapper

On the road again...

Glad you didn't get a car tattoo, Erika.

7 easy miles on the beach before heading home later.  Looks like I could be going home to cooler temps!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Kimmie

Erika- so glad you're ok. Ran 5 this morning.

Ran the Market Street Mile, in Frederick, MD, this morning.  This event is put on the same day as In the Street, where they close Market St, and have a bunch of quick-shades with local proprietors to tout their wares.  After the race we went to Volt, owned by Brian Voltagio who came in second in a Top Chef competition (behind his brother).  I had a "gazpacho" but it was more of a cold shrimp salad.  It was topped with a touch of cotton candy (strange), but it was wonderful.

6:05, 3rd AG (Harriet also got 3rd in her AG -- we like it when that happens)

I think I may have gone out a bit fast, as I faded substantially near the end.  First quarter was up a 25' hill, then it was downhill to about 12' below the start.  One guy, not in my AG, stepped across the finish line from behind me just before I crossed.  That's fair, of course, but I wish I had pushed it a bit more near the end (actually I thought I was but I really slowed in the last 0.1). 

1:25(157) [0.25=5:42]

1:30(202) [0.25=6:03]

1:33(203) [0.25=6:12]

1:34(201) [0.25=6:18]

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Congrats Lou -- and Harriet both. BTW, in my experience, most people run the first quarter faster in a mile.

Did local triathlon relay this morning. DW cycled. We got 3rd in mixed, which is pretty neat -- they give actual trophies. And we did it the hard way, with the female cycling -- none of the mixed teams in front of us had a female cyclist. Going into the weekend, I didn't expect to get an award, b/c I figured there'd be mixed teams with fast male cyclists, but then during the race, I started to hope, b/c I saw only one team in front of us with a women cyclist or runner (excepting an all female team in front of us) -- but of course, there was no way to tell if any of the teams in front of us had had women swimmers (just from watching their cyclist-runner handoff).

Being a local tri, we knew lots of people there, so it was a fun social outing.

I was giving a buddy a hard time about how he caught the runner in front of him at the end, but b/c he was an earlier swim wave, he still had a 9sec deficit (swimmers started each 10sec in each lane), so his team was 2OA by 9sec. Later on DW pointed out to me that we only scored 3rd in mixed b/c he didn't overcome that 10sec deficit. If he had done so, his team would have been 1OA, and the other team would have been awarded 1mixed, which would have pushed us out of awards. So I intend to go tell him I'm sorry I gave him a hard time and please remember to let whichever team is in my division win overall next year too. Heh. (Note: The RD said he thinks it was the first time in 22yrs that the win came down to a matter of seconds and swim offset.)

Where is everyone?

That tri sounds like fun.  Great that the spoiler team got you hardware.

9 miles for me this morning, on a shortened long run.  This was shortened because, well, my legs are still pretty tired from yesterday's mile.  Who knew that a mile would be so tiring?  Smile