Marathon Trainers

Week of 1 - 7 Sept 2008 (Read 163 times)

Dave

Thought I'd better start the thread before anyone else posted to last week's. Good luck, P2R. Looking forward to your race report. Lots of Alaskan press coverage with the Palin selection. Looks nice up there. Glad the leg is feeling better Bugs. I'd err on the side of safety for now and heal up. About to lace up the shoes for an easy 4 or 5. Nice cool morning here. Hope everyone has a great Labor Day.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Happy Camper

The race report will be much shorter than the Marathon took. I had a tough time of it. Finished in 4:54:58. I had a hard time dealing with the heat and humidity. I'm glad I ran with the handheld. It was 71 and 97% humidity at the start. 86 when I finished. I took the first few miles easy and never picked up the pace. 1/2 M split was around 2:10. I ended up walking three of the hills. My quads are sore this morning but I'm fine otherwise. I took today off to help shake the fatigue. I"ll take an easy bike ride later this morning just because I have the day off. DD left this morning. Had a very nice visit. It's such a blessing to see your children happy with promising futures ahead of them.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Pace - Wow, that's brutal weather for an easy 5-miler. Can't imagine 26.2. Great job gutting that one out.

Bugs

P2R, That's really tough conditions. Well done and a smart run IMO. That's a really good sign your able to bike so soon after. Are you still considering Des Moines? Hey if I miss Twin Cities, I might make it to Des Moines. Smile My ankle is not as swollen. There is one tender spot and is stiff, but other than it does not hurt. However I feel physically ill, as if it is inflammed. I can walk, and even ran a few steps, felt no pain. I think it is strained and possible some small tears in there. I'm not letting myself run this week. Still trying to get into see graston doc, would really like an outside person to tell me what they think as far as what XTing is OK. I wasn't sure about aquajogging last night, but think it will be fine since I am not in pain. I should not have ran on Sunday, what demon was that took over my mind and said that you must get that 20 in. It would have been one thing to push like that to finish a marathon, but for training a LR is just not that important. I forget this my hobby, and that kind of pain in a training run results in sickening pain days later. Before I left that morning I told DH "I really think I should not be running". I really needed someone to say, "don't run" but DH thinks I should be grown up and know better. I couldn't let myself off the hook. Stupid, stupid, stupid. But I do think a week off might be enough. If not I will make a plan B. Took my car to the mechanic. It's going crazy, could hardly get it to stop this morning. Went up a parking ramp without stepping on the gas and it just kept going. Do cars often take on the personality of their owners?

Bugs

Dave

P2R, those were tough conditions. Sounds like Chicago last year Shocked Bugs, sorry to hear about your ankle but it does sound like you're on the mend. As far as cars taking on the personalities of their owner, that is an interesting twist. Let me know what the mechanics figure out and then maybe we can extrapolate to fixing your control issues Wink

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Cashmason

Good job on completing the marathon Pace. I like taking my hand helds too. When its hot, you never know when the next water table is gonna run out because so many people poured water over their heads to cool off .

Oh Mighty Wing

Pace - great job on your mary! I was wondering how the visit went. Glad it went well. Bugs - take it easy lady!!! You are SOO close! I think I've put too much pressure on myself and am now struggling to get back to a place where running is fun. I think I'm drowning in the paste.

Dave

Shan, don't sweat it. If it stops being fun, you've got to take a step back and reevaluate what you're doing. I have to admit that I've been dreading my long runs a bit lately so don't feel like you're alone. Having a major race on the horizon can add a whole lot of pressure. Particularly when its a stretch. The swamp crew is a whole lot of fun but have no doubt, there is plenty of paste there. The miles they run and the stunts they pull have paste written all over it, particularly for a relatively new runner. It takes years to work up to that level of stupidity effort.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

evanflein

Hi everyone. My long run on Sunday turned out pretty well. Covered 23 miles, mostly running, some walking up the bigger hills (and THE big hill). Avg pace was 9:35 which was a surprise... I fell once, hard, on my right knee and left shoulder. Had to tell myself "roll to the left!" to avoid a full-on Face Plant in the roots. That part of the trail is just hazardous with all the roots out there. On the actual race you cover that part in the first 6 miles (the worst trail parts). There's roots on the trails farther along, and other hazards, but doing that stretch of the trail on the last few miles of a 23 miler makes it hard to not trip. I fall every year, so nice to have it done with. BUGS!! I just caught up on last week's thread and need to give you a Thwap! on the head. If you think that you shouldn't be running to the point that you actually tell your DH "I don't think I should be running," then for pete's sake what the heck are you doing?? Glad to hear it sounds like you're recovering, but take it easy will ya? P2R, all I can say is "oy" those were some tough conditions. I was thinking Chicago, too, when I was reading that post! Glad you survived, maybe if you're not feeling too beat up you can consider it a long training run and reset your focus on another a few weeks away? You've got a good edge, you just need to stop running in the sauna. Cash... you know there really is such a thing as diminishing returns in those lunges and such. I mean... just because 200 might be good for some people (like who??), doesn't mean that... oh... say 700 would be even better! I guess if you've got nothing better to do... Tongue Awful nice day out there... but I might take another rest day. Now that all my beastly long runs are out of the way I'm thinking some extra rest might be nice for the ol' footsie. I did notice that I'm altering my gait a bit because of it...

Oh Mighty Wing

Dave - you are right on with that one!! i forget it way too often. and what's up with our soaring temps!?! Erika - isn't changing you gate really just your body's way of saying it doesn't think it should be running??
                      Cashmason

Erika, you aren't here to tease, so what else am I gonna do with my time besides 700 lunges? Tri class time trials tonight. 100 yards swimming in 1:28 so thrilled with that. Expected 2:15 to 2:30. with 41 people in the class not enough time to do 1000 yard time trials. 2 mile run time trial in 14:46. Pr but not nearly as exciting as the swim. Felt I could have run faster, but my right shoe was loose and felt like it might come off. No time to stop and re tie it in the middle of a race.

Oh Mighty Wing

Cash - great job on your time trials!!

Bugs

Great job Cash. You are quite the fish. Shan, it's just a hobby. When was your marathon? Erika, I bet one day your foot will simply stop hurting, have heard that with foot injuries several times. Are there strengthening exercises you can do, like towel pulls? They wouldn't hurt. ... Thanks for the lecture. I was in denial on Sunday morning. I told DH, "I'm going to run a few miles just to see how it is." Like buying a strawberry pie and saying you'll only have a taste and you end up eating the whole dam pie. Tempation is just too much. Lesson learned. Ankle is making good progress. Swelling is gone-to near gone and generally feels much better. Doing some strength exercises for it that doc recommended. (This is doc ironman, friend of a friend, saw him at the pool. Didn't officially see a doc, but this guy won Hawaii Ironman once, he's advice is valuable.) He actually thought I could run on it, but I'm not sure. Aquajogged last night and biked this morning. Might try just a test mile tonight.

Bugs

Well, skipped my long run this weekend but really needed the sanity check. I'm back on the horse this week and got 4.5 Monday and 9 yesterday. Feeling good about the 18 Saturday, my longest this cycle. Funny, it was a bit more exciting the first time through. If I want any more "first" distances, I'll have to mix in an ultra. Unfortunately I've been home with a sick kid the last couple of days. Yesterday was fun because he didn't act sick, just had a little fever. Overnight it got a lot worse, all stuffed up and breathing sounds rough, so we're heading to the doc today. Luckily I can still get runs in the evening. Bugs - glad to hear the ankle is getting better. Cash - nice times on the trials. I can hardly improve my running times, mixing in 2 more sports just seems crazy. Great job. Shan - Hope running gets fun again. Any idea how it became un-fun? Just too much stress with the marathon looming out there? DW is a bit rough lately with school starting, maybe that's part of it. Erika - Nice 23-miler. Hope the foot's not too sore.
                              evanflein

Shan, I'm watching it really carefully. I feel it when I run, but it doesn't necessarily hurt. Sunday it did hurt a bit more but that is a lonnnng run at the end of a big week. So, given the taper and a couple extra rest days here and there, I'm sure it'll be fine. I did get out for 6.3 miles at lunch today, and it was ok. Doesn't really seem to affect speed much, in fact at the higher speeds it feels better, or maybe I'm just preoccupied with pace and all. mile 5 today was 8:00, mile 6 at 7:39... then I had to come back to work, playtime over. I didn't run Monday or Tuesday. I like taper... Nice swim Cash. Glad you're beyond the drowning-man thing. You're spos'd to tie your shoes B4 the race, silly. ETA: I signed up for Boston today... Big grin