Marathon Trainers

Week of 3/22 (Read 157 times)

No posts yet this morning?  Where is everyone?

I took a rest day today.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

My quads are plenty sore. Going downstairs is slow and I step gingerly, or turn slightly sideways. Feel a little silly if anyone sees me in the stairwell at work. Too proud to use elevator though. Getting up from sitting is slightly painful. Will go for a short easy run this evening.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

evanflein

Thanks for posting those pictures, Lou. I'll take the "not ON Facebook" comment personally.

Great racing for everyone! Kimmie, the late to the start thing is getting old! Too many people mentioning it lately. Tells me these races are growing bigger and becoming a management/logistical nightmare. I'd go with your Garmin time in your own records, too bad the official results won't be there, but oh well. In a few years you'll have run many better races and won't even remember this one.

I had a good run on Sunday: 21.66 miles, 8:27 avg pace, avg hr 157 (max 170). That avg Hr is surprising... I'm usually much higher than that. Started out with a 4 or so miles mostly downhill, then some flat with little rollers, then the last third had some good hills, nice downhill run to where DH was waiting for me (so I didn't have to go back up the hill to home... a reverse of miles 0-2.25 on the chart).

Gave me a little over 32 miles for the weekend, and today my legs and feet feel pretty good. This week is a bit of a stepback/recovery week, then next week is last big push before a 2-week taper. Pool running tonight after work.

Dave

That's a great looking graph, Erika.

I had a recovery run of sorts myself today.  3.5 on the treadmill (should've run outside but I didn't have my Garmin with me).  Recovering from a month of not running.  Trying to get back into it slow but that makes 2 runs in 2 days.

I'm sore but mostly from not being with you guys at National .

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Hi everyone. Back soreness crept up this weekend..ugh. Did get a few miles walking (pushing stroller) this weekend. Going to run tonight. Not sure where. Weather is kinda crummy.  Suposedly its muscular, but its pretty constant. Might find a new doc to look at it. GOing to try to get 4 miles in tonight. Am down a couple more pounds since last weekk's Wednesday - 'Biggest Loser' weigh in. Trying to get in the money this time.

Sounds like National Marathon was a blast.

Dave, any thoughts to running AFM or Columbus?

Dave

Dave, any thoughts to running AFM or Columbus?

Do they have a half? 

dgb2n@yahoo.com

theyapper

On the road again...

5 miles of recovery today: 4 by myself and 1 with my DD and dog.

I really enjoyed meeting everyone at Nationals and thanks again, Kim, for the ride and all the help getting around.  I know you felt bad about the hectic ride in, but for me, it just added to the whole experience.  Lunch was great.  You guys are a lot of fun to hang with and you made me (and Chris) feel right at home - like we'd been with the group before.  Congrats to everyone who PR'ed - I missed mine by about 45 seconds, but the goal wasn't to PR as much as it was to help make Chris' first half enjoyable and help him run a steady pace.

Apparently I did my job because he wants to do a local half on April 10.   I have no doubt I can and be fine because I didn't feel like I pushed at all during the race, but is that too soon for him after his first?

Thoughts?

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

CONGRATS to all that raced this weekend! Looks like some good racing went on.

NICE run Erika!

I ran a 5k with my RP (well I was behind her for most of it until the last half mile or so) We both got 3rd in our AG. One of these days I'm going to learn it's a 5k race not the 50 yard dash lol.  Sacrificed my second run later in the day to do some foot care. I have blister that split and on one side is a big callus that is rubbing on the new skin creating a major issue. Dh seems to think that until I can get the callus filed down so that it doesn't irritate the new skin it's not going to get better. I ran my long run today and not only did I have lots of pain from the blister/callus area but it ended up bleeding. Not sure what i'm going to do. I have a 10 mile race on Sunday and RP and I are running the race course on Wed. Doubt taking tomorrow off will have that much impact on healing. I have to say I'm very happy AND surprised that I finished 17 miles today.  I was thinking of going home after first loop to get some mole skin put on and then head back out and try again. Scrapped that plan when I realized with all I had to do today I would be lucky to get back out and get the miles I needed in before having to pick the kids up from school. Anyway hope everyone is having a good Monday!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Totally depends on what his plans are for it. If it's to just finish I don't see why not.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Dave

So I finally have a picture of my own to share from my last race.

This was taken at the finish line or very near.  The guy on the right was a young officer who ran with me to get a bit of career advice since he's requested a transfer into my speciality.

He looks a WHOLE lot fresher.  Nice view of the mountains in the background and the crazy power lines strung everywhere.  Also nice to finish ahead of the two Air Force guys behind us.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

evanflein

Cool Dave! Reminds me of a desert version of Thailand. When we were in Bangkok, we couldn't believe all the power lines and such strung up all over, some very haphazard and tangled looking!

Pam, have you ever tried the New Skin spray? It's wonderful stuff... I spray it on my trouble spots on my feet (like, just about the whole sole and toes), let it dry for about 10 minutes (I do it the night before) and it's great:

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=13280&catid=10&brand=8242&trx=PLST-0-BRAND&trxp1=10&trxp2=13280&trxp3=1&trxp4=0&btrx=BUY-PLST-0-BRAND

Didn't use it on Sunday but wished I had!

theyapper

On the road again...

Nice pic, Dave.  Wish you could have made it last week-end.

Those power lines reminded me of a slum village we did medical work in while in india.  The week before we were there an 18 year old had died when he touched them accidentally.  

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Nice photo!

Doesn't look cold or snowy.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Hawt and sexy

I got shoes. Heh. A kid at the store was from IA and went to the same grade school I went to way back when.

I might be doing 3 marathons in a 6 week period. Heh.

I might have my first booking for Steamtown. I support Maniacs.

I'm touching your pants.

Good morning!

Willamona - you are a maniac.

8.2 miles for me this morning, at a reasonable pace (8:23/mi).  Would have done a tempo run but adductor was a bit sore going into the run and decided not to push it so close to the marathon.  It was there during the run, but there were other minor pains as well, so I'm not too worried about it.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com