Marathon Trainers

Week of 2/2 (Read 328 times)

Where are you moving, Shan?

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Bugs

Thanks to whoever suggested the knee sleeve - best 13 bucks I've spent in awhile.
      Big grin THAT WAS ME, although there was lots of 2nds. Helped me during my first seven months of running, slowly stopped using it, and no troubles since. Glad to hear it helped and your able to move up the miles. Legs were tired today, I ran 13 miles easy. I think I need a LONG LONG run. I am tired of this 2 hour stuff, but at least I ran it (and was not sick) .

Bugs

Dave

I think I need a LONG LONG run. I am tired of this 2 hour stuff
        THAT ^^ is why I love this group Big grin Puts things in marathon perspective.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Bugs

THAT ^^ is why I love this group Big grin Puts things in marathon perspective.
          Big grin

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

I think I need a LONG LONG run.
            YES!!!! I AGREE!!!! Smile Lou - I am moving into an apt. - same town, but on my own - with the dogs.
            Cashmason

YES!!!! I AGREE!!!! Smile Lou - I am moving into an apt. - same town, but on my own - with the dogs.
              Did I miss something... what about the hubby? Or is just assumed he is part of you?
              Cashmason

40 minutes of lifting followed by half hour running followed by 25 minutes in the fishbowl. Needed to re learn how to breathe while swimming. For Kimmie, the hard part of tri for most runners is swimming. The hard part of swimming is learning to breathe. The secret is to breathe out all the air underwater, and when you roll to breathe, only inhale. Most people do not exhale enough underwater, and thus try to exhale and inhale while their face is in the air. So you dont get enough air in, and feel like you are out of breath. There just is not enough time to exhale and inhale with your face out of the water. So you have to exhale underwater, and just like running breathe out and in with both nose and mouth. And when you start swimming, its just like doing couch to 5k. Going slow is good. Resting every length or two is fine. Its like run/ walk. You have to build your swim endurance Other Thoughts are to look straight down at the bottom of the pool, do not look even a little bit forward. Tilting your head forward to see the end of the lane means your head comes up, which means your legs go down = more drag which means its a lot harder to swim. End of todays swim thoughts.
                Cashmason

from the running quotes thread. used to think that guys who ran in the rain were nuts. When I started doing that I decided that guys who ran at dawn were nuts. When I started doing that I decided that guys who ran marathons were nuts. So here I am getting up at 5am to train for a marathon and it’s snowing. From a running shoe magazine ad. I hung it on my fridge when I was training for my first marathon. Running in Tampa
                  evanflein

I am moving into an apt. - same town, but on my own - with the dogs.
                    Uh oh... don't like the sound of that... My hip issue is arthritis. It sucks. And it's the worst thing I inherited from my dear mom. She's the joint replacement queen though... having her second shoulder replacement on the 24th. So that makes both hips (one redone again, so 3 surgeries), both knees, soon to be both shoulders. My sister had her thumb joint replaced. She's a technical writer and editor and couldn't even hold a pen anymore. I have an achey left thumb joint, and don't even want to think what that could develop into. I have it in my lower back and hips, mostly the right one. The pain is in the joint, deep in the inside part of the joint. Not bursitis (that's on the outside of the hip) or flexors (that's in the front). Sorry Cash, foam rollers don't help arthritis. Bugs, I agree. Sometimes it feels like anything less than a couple hours is just messing around. Today I ran 12.5 miles of hills. I've been avoiding hills lately, and need to knock that off. First 8 miles were pretty intense, then the last 4.5 weren't so much. Perfect day for a run, 5F, no wind, bright sunshine. The only problem was how badly damaged a lot of the trails were from snowmachines, but the road parts were nice.

Oh Mighty Wing

I left DH. Please don't feel bad. It has been coming for a couple months and I was just trying to ignore all the feelings chalking it up to the end of the honeymoon. But finally the cage being built around me got to small and i knew it was time. So this is where the drop in mileage came from this week - I've been dealing with all of that and getting my affairs and what not in order. MTA: so for the last couple of days i've had insomnia - think it's the lack o running?
                        Aw gee Shan. This is hard whether it'd been coming or not.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Dave

MTA: so for the last couple of days i've had insomnia - think it's the lack o running?
                          No. I think you've had some other stuff going on in your life that could easily result in that symptom.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Kimmie

Shan, I'm so sorry to hear what you're going through. I've been through it and it is hard no matter what. Take care of yourself. Try to keep running or not... whatever you need to do...
                            Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Sorry to hear about that Shan.

Bugs

Shan, Geez. Well I'm glad you returned the weight bench. I'm glad you cut-back this week. Your legs deserve it. Gotta pace yourself, and that applies to more than just running.

Bugs