Marathon Trainers

Week of 2/2 (Read 328 times)

Take 3 Angry I'll give you a brief history of my running. I started in May of 2005. Ran about 500 or so for the year. 2006 was my base building year. I did however race a half marathon and a couple of 5k's. My total for 2006 was 1127.1 For 2007 I had a goal of finishing 3 marathons in 3 months. I wasn't sure my body could handle it so I kept things mostly easy. I doubled 2006 and had a total of 2345.9. 2008 was the year for 50 milers. I worked on slowing down so that I could finish both events I had uninjured and able to run. Milage was 2828.9 for the year. I think the key thing for me was having such lofty goals that it made me keep my running easy. In turn I really didn't work on the mental part of racing. This year I'm looking to remidy that. Hopefully I'll be able to get to 3,000 miles for the year while racing each and every race I do. I figure my body should be able to handle it now with the huge base I have. We shall see.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

BTW I can appreciate the mindset you have with your marathon Kimmie! I'm hoping to have that same mindset come marathon time. I'm hoping that doing the smaller races I've done that my mindset will have changed to more of a racing mindset instead of lets have fun and make sure not to be injured. THAT is why I am working on BQing in the spring BEFORE I attempt the 100 mile race I'm signed up for in August.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Cashmason

Happy Birthday Pace. Happy Late Birthday Kimmie. Teaching spin a little later tonight. Maybe a swim afterwards, or maybe not. Hope you find a little Pep (not Pepe) Ericka.
        theyapper

On the road again...

I'll give you a brief history of my running. I started in May of 2005. Ran about 500 or so for the year. 2006 was my base building year. I did however race a half marathon and a couple of 5k's. My total for 2006 was 1127.1 For 2007 I had a goal of finishing 3 marathons in 3 months. I wasn't sure my body could handle it so I kept things mostly easy. I doubled 2006 and had a total of 2345.9. 2008 was the year for 50 milers. I worked on slowing down so that I could finish both events I had uninjured and able to run. Milage was 2828.9 for the year. I think the key thing for me was having such lofty goals that it made me keep my running easy. In turn I really didn't work on the mental part of racing. This year I'm looking to remidy that. Hopefully I'll be able to get to 3,000 miles for the year while racing each and every race I do. I figure my body should be able to handle it now with the huge base I have. We shall see.
          {{ speechless }}

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

GOOD news on the knee front They and glad to hear how your run went!! Cut back weeks are good!

{{ speechless }}
              You got that right. Good to see you're knee's better. Bugs - "back into the game" -- excellent! Hey, Erika -- Harriet and I gonna hit the sack. It must time for you to go home.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Happy Camper

You guys are doing some amazing stuff. It's nice to be running with you, even if it is only virtually. Wink I've been doing the stretches you provided twice a day since Saturday, and I went out and ran a nice easy 4.3 today. My knee felt really good, and it was the best run I've had in a while. Thanks for the encouragement, everyone. Since my knee knocked me out last week, I'm officially labeling it my cutback week and pressing on to a more normal week this week. Now for some dinner, some ice, and kicking back to watch another hour in the life of Jack Bauer.
                Dammit! We're running out of time!

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Bugs

Pam, very impressive. I think I worked on the mental aspect, and not the base building. Smile ty66, glad the knee is better. 5 tonight in sub zero, 15mph wind crazy flippin weather. Warmer the rest of the week, thank GOD.

Bugs

Kimmie

Thanks for the background, Pam. One of my running partners, who is faster than me, told me once that he thought I was mentally tough. I don't know how true that is, but I took it as a big compliment. I'm with Bugs too- I feel like i've worked on the mental toughness of running to some extent, but not the mileage building. there seems to be an imaginary line for me that I know is true for a lot of runners... if I cross that line, running too much, taking it too seriously, talking to too many people that are never happy with their running, then running becomes unfun for me and I have to find a way to get back over to the other side of the line. If it's not fun for me, I'll still run, but not really want to do it. I keep thinking that eventually I will become one of those runners who say something like... I went out for an easy 12. Smile But maybe not, and I'm OK with that. Bugs, you ran in sub zero weather??? that is amazing.... I think Jeremy said that this group is inspiring and I totally agree.
                    Cashmason

I am pretty sure I have been mental for the last 20 years. No need to work on that. Pretty sure I would lose most of my friends if I got more mental. Taught spin, and one of my students gave me a second disc, she made for the class. Either she doesnt like my music, or she likes me. 1000 yards in the fishbowl after spin. First swim of 2009. Was rotating ok for about half the laps. 40 minutes of upper body weights before spin. Swimming after doing upper body hurts. Lower body still hurt from yesterdays race, and then teaching spin. Oh well the pain will be gone in a couple hours.
                        Oh well the pain will be gone in a couple hours.
                        Regarding the discussion on mental toughness, this pretty much looks to me like the definition.

Oh Mighty Wing

I am pretty sure I have been mental for the last 20 years. No need to work on that. Pretty sure I would lose most of my friends if I got more mental.
                          I'm pretty sure most of my friends think I'm mental... I even met some running people last week who thought I was mental...
                            A dusting of snow and cold temps (31°F) made the roads a bit slick in spots. 9.1 miles, 1:13:20, 8:03/mi, AHR 156 (78% MHR) Yikes! It's getting late!

Hail to The Victors!

Jeremy, part of my job is managing our wellness program. We started with the Health Risk Assessment (for a $100 incentive just like yours) in 2005. Over the years we've modified our program and now while the Wellness Program itself is quite expensive, we've seen almost a 2 to 1 return on our investment. It really does work, but you have to have almost everyone get on board. Our assessment also had an alcohol question... and it didn't like my response! .
                              That's interesting! I know the most out of shape people here aren't doing the assessments (and the most cynical). They think that the university and the insurance company are going to use their assessment to raise their insurance costs so they want no part of it, no matter what they say. Part of it, I'm sure, is the excuse factor: They always have an excuse not to improve their habits. One of my coworkers not participating is almost 500 pounds! Shocked
                                Damn bugs Way to get out and get your run in, if that's not tough I don't know what is! Thanks! I think the mental aspect is much harderer than the running (at least for me). In 2003 I wasn't allowed to lift anything heavier than a milk jug and it wasn't until 2004 that got out of the funk I was in and decided I was only as limited as I let myself be. So I slowly started lifting weights and then got into BFL which in a way inspired me to start running. I realized after I started running how much better I felt. I have alot of health issue's and running has kept some at bay. I think with that history it was easier for me to look past the invisible line and charge through since in away I was running away from pain. none of this probably makes much sense but I'm never good with words especially in the am