Marathon Trainers

Week of 3/15 (Read 218 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

Great pics, Murphy.  I'm full of pasta and heading towards bed.  See you all tomorrow.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Cashmason

First day  legs dont hurt while walking.

So normally I would run  about now,  and then the legs would hurt within 2 miles, sometimes at half a mile.

Any suggestion on how long to wait before  I train again?

Lou,  I sent you an email.  Smile

Carp!  I didn't get it.

Cash - what happened with your legs?  I looked back (this week) but couldn't find anything.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Kimmie

Hey Cash, sorry about your legs.  Not sure what to tell you...  remind me what the injury is again?

Lou- I resent it... Just my cell in case you need to get in touch this morning.

Couldn't fall asleep and woke up at 3:30 and couldn't go back to sleep.  Smile    Should make for a fun race.

You'll be fine, Kimmie -- I run on no sleep all the time Smile  (got your mail this time)

Did somebody say, "baby pictures"?

Dave

Wish I could be there with you guys this morning.  Run well and fast!

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Wish I could be there with you guys this morning.  Run well and fast!

DITTO THIS!!!!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Thanks guys -- Kim had a great race which I am sure she'll want to tell you about herself.

Harriet may have PR'd -- her Garmin was within 1 second.

I ran 1:47:31 (by Garmin), off my PR by 10 minutes, but that was expected due to lack of speed in recent training.  No pain, though, and at a decent pace for (most of) 13.1 Smile

Thanks for the update Lou!! CONGRATS to all the racers!!! So glad to hear no pain for ya Lou!!

BTW We got some good looking babies on this board!! Thanks for sharing pics Lou and Murph!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Of course I should have mentioned Paul and his friend as well -- they had a good race, too -- Paul's friend has been running only 7 months and held up well, and Paul's time tells me he can run a pretty fast marathon as well, i.e., that he held back in Richmond and better times are to come.

We also saw Perry and his DW, who had most excellent times.  

In all a great day!

We're headed out to find a coffee shop, maybe to read in a park or something -- it's beautiful here!

As Groucho Marx said, 

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.

Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."

Kimmie

Hey you all!!

Great, great, day.    I 'll do a race report soon, but it was so much fun.  I ended up with a 1:51:38- best I can determine from my watch-  but the results on the website are wrong.  They have me at 2:02 or something- which is probably gun time... we started 10 minutes late, so I guess the chip didn't read at the start.  Oh well, I've emailed the RD but I doubt they'll care... I think that is a PR for me, if my watch is right, so I kind of want the results to be right, you know?  Smile

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Ah, yeah, I noticed your time  was off on the unofficial results Kim -- I had forgotten how late you started -- they clearly didn't get your net time right.

Really enjoyed lunch -- thanks for coming everyone! Great company. And good food too. I did well by just imitating Harriet and Lou in the ordering Smile    Next I'm gonna follow Lou's lead and join maniacs and get me one of them shirts with the funny guys on it.

I saw that shirt in the race and thought it looked familiar and wondered what race it was from. Then at lunch I saw Lou had that shirt on,  so I asked Harriet what race it was from. She didn't understand immediately the nonsense I was babbling Smile  then she explained it is the maniacs logo. Ahhh.

By the way, Lou, I actually only qualified once last year for maniacs, doing two in 14 days, exactly the way you qualified as I recall. I just didn't get to doing it then -- now I've seen the shirt and I like it.

C saw a dead pig by the side  of the highway heading south. How's that for out of the ordinary?

C says she bested her 10K PR in the first 10K of the Half -- she faded later, and wanted to quit, and really didn't enjoy the rest. Plenty of signs there for going out just a weeeee bit fast (heh), and she's just observing that going out too fast is maybe not the optimal strategy.

It's great that Kim and Harriet and Paul and my DW and myself actually all had great races. And I think it is really great that Lou raced pain-free.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

PS: C missed her PR by 7 seconds (according to the unofficial results, which look plausible for us). But she just managed to place in the AG results. (I didn't, but I'm accustomed to her placing and me not.)

Wow!  Nice race for C!  And a pig on the side of the road how weird is that?

We also saw something you don't see every day.  We were walking down 15th Street (I think), and there were a bunch of cops blocking off E street.  So we walked up but they wouldn't let us cross.  We figured the president was coming back from the capital -- it was about 4:30 -- no doubt he went to the house to twist some arms, then the motorcade came in to the white house right in front of us.  Pretty cool.  Interesting that they have an ambulance follow him around, I assume just in case of the worst.  I got some pictures of some black cars and limousines, but I don't know how they came out yet.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

That reminds me. We saw 6-10 cops on bicycles gathering on Mass Avenue (I think; I'm forgetting now). Don't know what that was about. Has Fenty issued some type of police bicycle memo?