Marathon Trainers

Race Reports (Read 688 times)

Dave

Awesome, P2R. Just awesome. Unbelievable effort on your first 50 miler.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Short version: 4:32:05 (20+ min PR) Full version: I was greatly surprised by my performance on this one. I got sick late in training that set me way back. After my illness I never got in more than 34 miles in a week and I never went over 18 miles for a long run. Even before I got the flu during my training, I only ran low to mid 40s once, the rest of my weekly mileage was in the 30s. I thought if I ran a smart race and was lucky, I might PR by 4-9 minutes. I would not have been surprised at all if this had turned into a 5+hour death march. Travel to the marathon was difficult. Detours and traffic turned an already long (6 hour) drive into an 8 hour ordeal. When we got there the only place to eat was a bar. Nothing like bar food (chicken sadwhich, soup and fries) to fuel a marathon that is already likely to end in disaster. I had to pick up my packet race day morning. After eating 1.5 turkey sandwiches I headed to the high school for packet pick up. It was deserted. At this point I started to freak out a bit. I went back to the hotel to talk to other runners to see what the deal was. I learned that packet pickup was at Traverse City Central High, not Traverse City High School. Ugh. I get to packet pickup and they’re out of my shirt size. This is going to end in tears. I finally get to the starting line and off we go. Since my training was so far behind the gun, I had planned on Gallowalking the whole thing, running a mile and walking a minute. It was difficult for the first few miles, stopping to walk while you’re still warming up feels weird to me. After 3-4 miles, though things seem to even out and it begins to feel natural. The first 5 miles, I nail my goal pace right on the head. Each mile is within a few seconds of 9:45 not including the walk. At this point I start feeling good; for me this is a dangerous feeling. I want to run faster. I keep telling myself that my training won’t support anything faster than that; I need to run this one smart. Mile 6 is a bit faster at 9:32. I ease up and try to refocus. Mile 7 yields a 9:41, right on target. I remain well on target through mile 10. I allow myself to accelerate a bit. Miles 11-15 hover right around a 9:30 pace – a mistake. With the rest that the walking breaks were giving me, I thought I would be able to hold this pace through the balance of the race. Sixteen miles into the race it is just now starting to get difficult. I ease my pace back to 9:45 hoping that a few miles 15 seconds faster than goal pace had hurt me too badly. Mile 17 - 20 are around 10:45 – I am starting to struggle. I allow myself to walk through the water stops as well as the planned minute walk at the end of the mile and at mile 20 I allow myself a two minute walk. I’m still moving along fairly well (especially compared to those around me) but I fear that things may be unraveling. After 20 miles I am unable to run a mile without stopping. Sometimes I walk through the water stops, other times I just take a 30 second break in the middle of the mile. From miles 20-26 I just try to run as much as I can and walk as little as possible. I was able to run the last half mile or so and cross the finish line in 4:32:05 – very satisfied with my performance.

Oh Mighty Wing

The Double Creek half marathon. The race was in Dover, PA about 2 hours from home. Race start time was 7am and packet pick-up began at 6am so we decided to get a hotel the night before. So Friday night we get out there and just kind of hang out. I watched TV, went to bed way later than I should have, and slept crappily. So this morning I dragged us out of bed. It was too early for continental breakfast so we stopped at McD's. My stomach was already upset and after 2 bites I knew i had to stop. So that was all I had for breakfast. We got there at 6 and I was given my packet (my number, a shirt, and some sunscreen samples). I kept trying to go to the bathroom because I really didn't want to have to go in the woods or something. Thankfully with 20 minutes till start time it worked, but while I was in the stall 3 women were talking about how slow I (and the other person in the stall) were soo slow. Kind of made me mad, but I just told myself I wasn't here to make friends. So I got to the start and put myself in the very back of the race. My pre-race thoughts included: wow these people all look really fit and are talking like they are going to run really fast! I hope this isn't like that 5K last summer. and Do NOT eat the paste. So the announcer came on and said go. It didn't take long to cross the line (not that it mattered because it was NOT chip timed) so that was good. I just went nice and slow and it was very clear that I was the last person because a van just sort of loomed behind me for a while and the biker assigned to keep an eye on the last person rode with me and talked to me through mile 1. The first couple of miles went well and I slowly picked off 2 people who quickly turned to walking. There were water stops every 1.5/2 miles for the first 8 miles. The first 6 went really well, I did stop to pop-a-squat, but other than that no issues. I walked all water stops and up a really HUGE hill. The course itself didn't have many flat spots but the significant hills were clearly significant. Also the first half was mostly shaded. After 7 miles I hit cruise speed, and it took the next two miles to get me slowed back down. I knew I could not maintain cruise for the back half so I tried hard to slow back down. Somewhere during mile 8 I regretted never trying sports drinks or gel in training because just water wasn't quite cutting it I was running out of steam. Did I mention after the half the water stops were more like 2/2.5 miles apart. Oh I also passed another 2 people (I think) in this mile. During mile 9 I was offered a gel and I hesitantly took it. I used about 1/4 of it and downed some water. It helped A LOT! I'm really glad I didn't take the whole thing because it might have upset my stomach, but the little I had was enough to get some energy back. Around mile 10 the nice man on a bike who kept checking on me brought me a bottle of water at my request. After mile 8 the shade was gone and it was sunny and warm! Also around mile 10 walking breaks became more frequent. I told myself it was hillier but I think I was more tired. Thankfully there was this man ahead of me who I just slowly tried to catch. It worked! Between mile 11 and 13 I passed 4 more people! With half a mile left I picked up speed to pass the last 3 people I would catch and ran with what I left toward the finish. People were there to cheer and it was nice! As I crossed the finish line I got my bottle of water and headed to a place to rest my legs a minute. I felt awesome, but knew I was out of gas! My legs tried to tighten up when I stopped so we walked around. I went in search of the finishers medal I was sure they were giving out for the half - but I was mistaken no finishers medal for me - only age/top finisher awards. And the shirt doesn't even say half on it because there were other events (like bike rides and a 5k) going on as well! I forgot to stop Garmin when I crossed the line so I only have up to 13 minutes accurately reflected. As I stood and looked over the lady's should we was writing times on the results board I say 2:46:05! Many hours later my hips/knees are sore with the soreness of having worked hard. But nothing hurts (Nothing hurt during the race either) and it doesn't feel like it will last more than a day. I am soo proud for doing it and I can't WAIT for the next one!!! And it gives me confidence that i can train and run a marathon!

Oh Mighty Wing

4th 5K well I started out with good intentions of doing the 15K, but it quickly turned into the 5K. Morning was cloudy and low 70's. Very nice. Ran into a fellow RAer - Mississippi and a co-worker from school (who avoided me). The race was a quick race and there were lots of people. They had TONS of water stops and a couple of hose/sprinkler stations! It was really nice!!! It was set-up weird. The 3 races (5, 10, and 15k) all took off at the same time and ran the same loop. As you got to the S/F you stayed to the left to finish or the right to continue. So the last couple of days my calves have been really sore (charlie-horse sore) but with my runs they have normally loosened up so I thought this would be the same. From the 1st step ot the last my calves were pissed off and tensed up. All in all I did really well - 32:38. HUGE PR over last year - not the same course, but similar hilliness. It was cooler this year but still!! I mean it's like a 5 minute difference!!!

Bugs

Bug's 15K 4 weeks prior to Twin Cities Marathon It wasn’t a perfect race but it may have been as close as they get. I was more rested than planned because of the ankle tendonitis that started last week but was still running and aqua jogging because my bigger goal is the Twin Cities Marathon, just four weeks from today. Northfield MN, is where Jessie James robbed the bank and every year the town reenacts the robbery. A desperado dressed cowboy on a grey roan horse shoots a gun to start the race. The poop can not be blamed on runners this time because whoever in the runner’s trots thread mentioned taking psyllium the night before, I am forever grateful, I will be editing my will. A group of friends took off together, 8:06 for first mile, felt too fast. I was lazy with only a 1 mile warm-up, 3-4 is more my style. Second mile my legs feel heavy and I’m thinking of running an 8:30 pace for the rest. I have a hard time believing I can run fast. It’s why I often race better without a watch. I’m starting to feel my ankle more and stressed with the idea that it is about to blow-up. But then my ankle starts to relax and the hills are fun because I’ve trained hard for the hills and I’m passing people. It’s a beautiful view of the green country side, 50F, but the wind is frustrating. The next five miles speak for themselves, 8:38, 8:07, 7:59, 8:18, 8:02. At the 10k mark I’m at or close to a PR with avg pace 8:11. (The 10K in my log might be short.) OK, just hold it for 3 more miles. The hills are behind us and it’s a slight decline. Next two miles 8:14, 7:51. Last mile I’m kicking hard when a car nearly hits me passing on my left. I screamed at him, not that he could hear me, but I have never been more startled while running. (Never feel bad for driving to a trail where you don’t have to fear cars.) Everybody asked if I was OK, I was just shaken. This not a small race with 300+ runners close to the cities, and most the streets appeared to be blocked off for the weekend fesival. Who worries about a car when you’re finishing a race like this? Not sure how this affected my time, but mile 9 7:49, and .3 6:55. 15K Chip time, 1:15:34, (Garmin avg pace 8:04) A PR pace for me on almost any distance 8K or over. 2nd in AG, I won a mug. I have a hard time believing that was me running today. I keep thinking, “I can’t run that fast.” I had two thoughts about Team Blister during the race. One was Erika will be so proud. The other was Dgb I am so ready to race you. Smile It always helps to know I have to report my race results to you guys! P.S. Mcmillian predicts a 3:48 marathon. My goal is sub-four. I get therapy on this ankle tomorrow.

Bugs

Cashmason

Great race Bugs. That marathon time projects to Erika type time. Yes she has run faster and slower than that but that would be ball park for her. Get that ankle taken care of. Its amazing what a forced taper can do for you.
              evanflein

woohoo Bugs! Awesome race! I'm sure a little extra dose of adrenaline from that car didn't hurt! Your time was amazing and yes I think you've got great things in store for Twin Cities. I'd be delighted with a 3:48.... That would've been a PR time for me before Boston.
                Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Short version: 24:06 unoffical time Slightly extended version: 24:06 unoffical time = big PR Full version: Cool, clear and little or no wind - perfect conditions. Goals for the race: Run by feel - check. I taped my Garmin so I wouldn't stare at it every 8 seconds for the race. I've come to rely too heavily on it for feedback. I wanted it to record my race, but I wanted to run this one totally by feel. PR - check. I was pretty sure I had one in me, wasn't sure by how much. Even splits - awfullly darn close. I faded just a touch around 2.5 or so. More on that later. Break 24 min - nope. I had that in the back of my mind as my secret goal. I had no idea if I had it in me right now. I came really close. Still, I have no complaints. Blow by blow: Off and running. I still have the tendancy to go out too fast. I really wanted to avoid that. It was uncomfortable - feeling like I was holding back. What if I held back too much and just jogged the whole thing? Keep it even, run my own race. The crowd thinned out quickly and once that happened, nobody passed me. That made me nervous, thinking I was going too fast. Run by feel. Self inventory, doing ok. Hold this pace. 1st mile: 7:45 I thought it would be ok to pick up just a tiny bit and see how that worked. The second mile was tough. My pace slowed a bit right around 2.75. It really started getting tough at that point. I resumed my pace and just tried to hold on 2nd mile: 7:53 Just trying to hold on at this point. Pick one person off at a time. Nobody is passing me and my shoe is untied. Thoughts of Gary Bjorkland run through my mind. I hope I don't have to run far with one shoe. Nobody is passing me. I think I might be slowing, but I can't tell. Just.hold.on 3rd mile: 7:52 Last little bit. Not really any kick to speak of. I was hoping there would be, but I'm just trying to hold on right now. .1: 35 sec, about a 7:20ish pace This was hands down the best race I've ever run, even above and beyond the PR. I dealt pretty well with the discomfort that comes with tough racing, my splits were fairly even and I really don't think I could have done much better. It's rare to finish a race and think "Not one second faster could I have done, no matter what". I don't think I could say that, but I came darn close. Also, I ran this one by feel, one of my biggest goals for this race.

Oh Mighty Wing

AWESOME JOB Mr. I!!!! SOO VERY COOL!!
                    evanflein

Excellent job! And just think what you could do if both your shoes were tied? (note: send Mr I instructions on double-knotting shoes...) I like the "self inventory" system check. I do that, too. Congrats on the PR!

Bugs

Inertia, Great Work. You ran it perfect. That is how you run 5Ks. I bet you have more PRs in you as you get your miles back up.

Bugs

Bugs

I didn’t think it would rain, at least not till 11:00. It rained from the start, light at first, felt good, but I was worried what would happen when my throw away shirt got soaked. Then it started raining heavy, and around the lakes it was really cold. Mile 8 I decided to throw my shirt away because it was completely wet, lots of people were running in tanks. By mile 12 I was getting worried, I was too cold. My legs were ice, and all I could think about was that this road leads to a warm shower. The volunteers all had rain jackets on and I stopped and asked if they had any extra, said I was worried I wasn’t going to make it. A volunteer said, “take mine.” I shook my head, “No I can’t take yours, I’ll be fine. She was firm, “No take mine, I’ll find another.” This saved me. I wore it till about mile 19. As far as pacing, the miles felt fast. I constantly trying to hold myself back, but with the cold I think everyone was trying to keep warm. Also I struggle to see my watch, I'd have to clear the water on the screen just to read it. The four hour pacer got ahead of me when I started to cramp. The last 10K my hip flexors were extremely tight and my calf muscles were acting up. It was a different suffering than my other two marathons. It wasn’t that my quads were so very tired and I was struggling to lift my legs. My legs just felt tight, and done with. My watch said 4:03 as I crossed the finishline, I was in tears because I knew that I was struggling out there and could have been even more off my goal. It was three minutes faster than when I ran it two years ago. Funny I ran Grandmas 2007 in 85F and ran a much better race. Maybe I don’t do well running in cold rain? I OK with my time but a little unsure how the hell I’m going to get faster at this marathon running business. 1 8:14 Sad 2 9:04 3 8:58 4 8:48 5 8:32 6 8:55 7 8:48 8 8:51 9 9:00 10 8:49 11 8:56 12 9:25 <- stop="" and="" get="" rain="" jacket="" 13="" 8:52="" 14="" 9:03="" 15="" 8:50="" 16="" 10:10=""></-><-cramp, porto-potty="" stop="" 17="" 8:50="" 18="" 9:09="" 19="" 9:44=""></-cramp,><-cramp, porto-potty stop 20 8:48 21 9:06 22 9:26 23 10:11 24 9:58 25 9:26 26 9:52 porto-potty="" stop="" 20="" 8:48="" 21="" 9:06="" 22="" 9:26="" 23="" 10:11="" 24="" 9:58="" 25="" 9:26="" 26="" 9:52=""></-cramp, porto-potty stop 20 8:48 21 9:06 22 9:26 23 10:11 24 9:58 25 9:26 26 9:52 >

Bugs

Kimmie

Way to tough it out under harsh circumstances. You showed how strong you were out there, running a 4:03 in those conditions. I know it's not what you wanted but you should be proud of yourself. The marathon is such a strange beast. All that prep and you're at the mercy of the weather. Great report.
                            evanflein

Kimmie's right... there are some things you can control, and others you just can't. Obviously, the weather is one of those things. Your training was good, you were in awesome shape... you hadn't been feeling well recently and the weather sucked. I think you've got a much better marathon in you, and if I may be so bold I think you need to take just a little while to recover and find another one close by and SOON. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised...

Dave

I'll repost this to the main race thread but will post it here first. Although this wasn't my first marathon, it was certainly the first marathon that I've really trained for. My previous PR was 4:16:54, run at the same marathon last year but that was to support a friend and I hadn't done any real marathon training leading up to it. I started an 18 week training program back in July off of basically a base in the high 20's. I peaked at 50 mile weeks (one 60 mile week if you count two long runs in the same week). My mileage never got as high as the schedule called for but I did do quite a few of my long runs either as MP+15 seconds or fast finish runs with quite a few miles below MP. Speedwork (intervals and hills) was sporadic at best though. 3 weeks prior to the race, I ran the Army 10 miler and ran it at a 7:24 pace so I felt like I had a good time in me. Unfortunately I ended up with some knee troubles after that race but my 2 week taper left me feeling good on race day. I was up early (5:00) for my typical race day breakfast, raisen bagel, banana, and coffee. I didn't drink anything enroute to the race which I usually do but did have another banana and a Gu pack about 45 minutes before start time (along with a bit of water). I think this worked out better than a bunch of gatorade enroute to the race. I was able to go without any bathroom stops the entire way. I met up with the Reston Runners race club where I linked up with Tri-Kev and had hoped to see Kimmie but missed her. I was there really early and ended up waiting around for probably 45 minutes before it got light enough to figure out where the tree was and people started to arrive. One of the Reston guys dressed up in a chicken suit. The chicken beat me by almost 10 minutes. We walked down the hill to the start and ended up starting pretty close to the front, right behind the 3:20 pacer. Kevin and I agreed to run the first few miles together and help check the pace but made it clear that we were running our own races. It worked on our last race and once again I really enjoyed running with him. After a flat first mile, it turns up for the first hill of the race into Rosslyn. Then down through a wooded area back down to the Potomac river. Another slight short hill back to the Key Bridge and over into DC. Took my first Gu pack just before the bridge and washed it down with water at the water stop. I knew my heart rate was way too high and I checked the pace with Kevin to try and bring it back down under 160. Mile 1 - 8:13, 155bpm Mile 2 - 8:27, 167bpm Mile 3 - 7:52, 167bpm Mile 4 - 7:53, 158bpm Mile 5 - 8:13, 166bpm Once in DC we headed out along a reservoir, then up a steep hill through a residential neighborhood. I maintained pace throughout this section pretty consistently. Kevin went ahead at this point. Then down through M Street on Georgetown (huge crowds here) and back down to the Potomac river and around towards the Washington Monument and my first meetup with my family. Steady pace down under 8 for some of it and HR around 165. I knew it was probably too high but I ignored it. Mile 6 - 8:12, 163bpm Mile 7 - 8:28, 164bpm Mile 8 - 8:14, 163bpm (second Gu Pack) Mile 9 - 7:57, 165bpm Mile 10 - 7:59, 165bpm Mile 11 started out towards Haines Point. Lighter crowd support. Very flat through here. Then back around the Tidal Basin with a nice view of Jefferson Memorial, and around the backside of Lincoln Memorial. The path narrowed and the crowd support was again amazing. Mile 11- 8:10, 165bpm Mile 12 - 8:07, 163bpm Mile 13 - 8:16, 163bpm Mile 14 - 8:14, 167bpm Mile 15 - 8:13, 168bpm Went down in front of the Capitol building then back around past the Smithsonian castle where I metup with my family for the last time before the finish. I pass Kevin around mile 18 and he encourages me to keep pressing. The damn chicken passes me here too. I'm still feeling pretty good but I know the long bridge is ahead. Bridge lasts forever as usual but I push on without losing much pace. Heart rate is getting up into 170 territory which I know from experience is not good news. I ignore it and see if I can hold it together. Mile 16 - 8:04, 170bpm Mile 17 - 8:05, 170bpm Mile 18 - 8:10, 171bpm Mile 19 - 7:57, 171bpm Mile 20 - 8:28, 173bpm Mile 21 - 8:13, 172bpm Down off the bridge and into Crystal City. Loud crowd support here. I start walking through water stops. I can tell I'm starting to fade. The bridge back into the Pentagon parking lot marks Mile marker 24 and then its back onto the highway towards the finish. Mile 22 - 8:17, 174bpm Mile 23 - 8:25, 173bpm Mile 24 - 8:18, 174bpm This is where I just run out of steam. I stopped through the final water stop and have trouble getting back up to speed. I've got nothing left at this point. Not sure this is a bonk but it sure felt like one. I'm going slower but don't have the steam to keep my heart rate up. Mile 25 - 8:51, 171bpm Mile 26 - 9:09, 169bpm All splits up to this point have been Garmin splits but the Garmin measured the course at 26.5. Over the last half mile, my pace slowed to 9:41 and was over 10 on the final hill to the finish. I ended up walking up the steep section at the beginning and knew it would be close to go under 3:40. I gave it what I had and ran to the finish. Went down on my knees after the finish and had sort of dry heaves. Got up, legs were rubber, more heaves, then sitting on the curb. One of the Marines asked me if I was OK. I said yes but I could use some water. He brought me some and I sat and drank it for a few minutes before getting up. Then over to my waiting family sort of in tears. All in all, I was really pleased with my race time. Don't think I had anything more in me today. The weather was perfect. The crowds were amazing. It was great to see my family a few times during the race. I just ran out of gas and gave up a couple of minutes at the end. Thanks to everyone for their support in the months leading up to this race and in the hours after. I will admit that once they told me that our splits were posted live every 5K, it was really cool to know that you guys were tracking me as I went. I couldn't have done it without you.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com