Marathon Trainers

Week of 8/30/2010 (Read 128 times)

evanflein

Great improvement for them, and quickly, too! If they keep that up, they'll be very strong runners in high school. Love the flushed sweaty faces!

Planning on a run after work, but will keep it on the trails as much as possible. My damn foot is bothering me after Sunday's run. I'm blaming the return trip down the hill, part of it is on pavement and part is trail with roots. I know I hit a couple roots wrong, and the pavement part is a lot of pounding. Need to watch that...

Cashmason

Very nice improvements in the XC for the boys.

Erika,  Don't use your foot as  a dam  to hold back the water,  or you might get beavers  chewing on your toes.

Has anyone ever used the word stubborn to describe you?

heh, Erika stubborn?  No, I don't think so. Joking  (Here's hoping your foot issue turns out to be nothing)

Nice job by your kids, Paul!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

theyapper

On the road again...

What I love about Erika is that she's not thinking about resting the sore foot, but is thinking about how to run that stretch better so she doesn't hit roots.  Big grin  Hope it gets better for you quickly!

Nice 3 miles this morning.  Cooler  temps (64F), but the best is yet to come - forecast is for upper 50s tomorrow morning and Sat morning.  Should make my pace and long runs much more bearable, and then it's off to the beach with the fam for a week.  Thankfully, Earl won't be there.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Hi All. No running to report - boo me. Real life getting in the way. Hope to ramp back up next week a bit.

Today is Ava's 1st Birthday! The year just flew by.

Oh, and we found out last week that we have another one on the way!

Not sure how that happened after 15 years of not figuring it out, now Im an expert at the baby making thing. Its early, but dw already had an ultrasound and everything is good.

Happy running everybody!

Dave

Congratulations, Murphy!  That is awesome.  Irish twins Wink.

Oh, and we found out last week that we have another one on the way!

Not sure how that happened after 15 years of not figuring it out, now Im an expert at the baby making thing. Its early, but dw already had an ultrasound and everything is good.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Congrats, Murphy, both on the first birthday, and the pending sibling!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Congrats Murph on the kids 1 and -0.8 birthdays.

Did my first long run with only 1 break in a month, inspired by Dave's upcoming ATM.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

evanflein

Happy Birthday Ava! Congratulations Murphy! Nice to be an expert, no? Wink

Who's calling who stubborn?? Honestly, I have no idea what you're talking about. Heh. You oughta meet my kids. Half Scandinavian, half German. A hopeless combination. Nobody wins any arguments around our house. And everybody is always right.

So what the heck happened to Kimmie? And Bugs? And Pam? And Willamona? Not that I mind hanging out with you guys, but a little balance would be nice...

Had a great run last night, 10.1 miles of hilly trails in perfect conditions. Watched the roots pretty carefully and no problems. Foot feels better after about 4-5 miles anyway. Maybe it just gives up fighting. Who knows. Ice packs and ibuprofen help a lot. Today's run was on the flat trail behind campus, 6.2 miles on another perfect day. 55° and scattered clouds, lots of sunshine, no wind and no bugs.

Wish we'd keep this weather around for another month. What I need is at least a week of dry weather starting next weekend. After the 18th, it can rain or snow or whatever, I don't care.

Happy Camper

Ha!  In my house we're not always right but no one is ever wrong!

Congratulations Murph!

Busy week for me.  Had to go back to Colorado Springs last weekend and didn't get back until Tuesday night .  My father was also in the hospital to get his hip fixed and is now back home today and  doing well.  The week is finally slowing down some.  Monday is the HOA.  I'm past my Pikes Peak soreness.  I've kept the running up and should hit around 50 miles for this week with the marathon on Monday.  I've run crappy at this run the past two years so I decided to keep the mileage going somewhat and point for Lewis & Clark on 10/3 to run for time.  I did finally try something that helped the legs.  I think Cash even posted about it here.  The bone study I lift for had me roll on a pvc pipe.  They had a 3" diameter and that put a lot of pressure on the muscles.  I made a roller out of 4" pipe and it does the trick.  Made it just wider than my hips so I can roll both legs front and back and then one leg on the side for the IT band. 

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Cashmason

Congrats Murph !

Kimmie

So what the heck happened to Kimmie? And Bugs? And Pam? And Willamona? Not that I mind hanging out with you guys, but a little balance would be nice...

I'm here... Smile  Been reading, but not posting much.  I traveled to Florida for a couple of weeks and then almost immediately after that, we went on our whole family vacation to the Outer Banks, North Carolina.  We just had to cut our time short, though, because of the hurricane.  So, we're home now.    So, sorry to be absent,  I read about all of the great running and life events, though.   I've been running about 20 miles a week, which needs to increase gradually if I want to run the Army Ten Miler.

Some great running down in North Carolina-   Every day I would try to make myself go early before it got too hot, but the girls were eager to get to the beach, so we would go hang out on the beach for a few hours, come back, take a break and then I'd run- when it was 95 degrees.   Still awesome to go, though.

Paul, great improvement by your boys.   Coaching Girls on the Run, for me, has been so rewarding, so I know that you're loving it.

hope you enjoy your trip to the beach and glad the hurricane didn't affect you.

Erika, I've been loving following your training for the Equinox.   Hope the foot is nothing.

i hope to become more of a trail runner someday.  I actually ran on a trail the other day and my foot caught underneath a root.... I did the airborne, slow motion thing and but didn't do a face plant, thankfully.

Keep up- the good work and be proud to be called stubborn.   One of the many things I like about you.  Smile

Dave, how's the training for ATM?   Anyone else here running it?   I think I've covered this, but I'm lazy to go back and check.

Murphy- this is a friendly kick in the butt-   go run!!!   But don't beat yourself up if you can't.  Smile

hi to everyone else....

Looking forward to a long weekend and then school starts on Tuesday.

Good to see Kim posting!

8 miles for me this morning at, oh, around 9:15/mi.  Plan was 12 but I ran 12 on Wednesday and my legs were still tired even after only 3 yesterday.  So I got to thinking about the 20 planned for Sunday, and the fact that my brother will be running with me tomorrow and pushing the pace, so I decided to cut it short and protect the long run.

Still, assuming I finish the 20 ok, I'll get in 54 or 55 this week, so that seems ok.  (I'd better run out/back so I am forced to finish the 20 Smile )

evanflein

Yeah Lou, the need to get home is a great motivator. Works for me many times. Ah, but then I discovered the real value of carrying a cell phone...

Hey Kimmie! Good to hear from you and it sounds like life has been full and fast-paced for you. Running in the heat is good training for fall races anyway, right?

Bryan, I guess I missed that you had another one coming up so soon. What is it? Not familiar with ATM, other than a device from which to get $.

Kimmie

Heh, now I can post from my IPAD. Very cool! Sorry, ATM is the Army Ten Miler in Washington DC. I should not abbreviate..... My first time running it, since i'm usually prepping to run a marathon the next weekend. Just got back from 5 easy miles. Good to be home, but I now have a few vacation pounds to lose.