Marathon Trainers

December 2012 (Read 366 times)

Welcome TakeAHike.

You are in the right place and on the right track. I've run 10 marathons and a couple 24 hour races --more walked than ran..but have slipped into the worst shape since I started running 6 years or so ago...and dont think Ive ever been consistent enough to log a 1000 mile year. Loomking back at my old spreadsheet log and I didnt run nearly as much starting from scratch to my first marathon 6 months later as I thought.

Willing myself to get back on the horse--that has always been the hardest part for me. Havent hit the road yet. But after I type this I'll get my stuff together. Seems weird, but I know if the bag is in the car at lunch--I'll go run.

Rough week for the kids..Aidan (20 months) dislocated his elbow Sunday night. Apparently that's fairly common. Our pediatrician is the best..my wife got him on the phone and he had her come to his house on Sunday night and put it into place. Yesterday Ava clunked her head at gymnastics class and had a nice knot--but she;s a quick healer--thankfully-Christmas pictures are Saturday.

Off to pack my running stuff for the gym tomorrow....

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

... Our pediatrician is the best..my wife got him on the phone and he had her come to his house on Sunday night and put it into place. ..

That is really nice, and great.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

TaH:

I thought the Gu thread that recently showed up in the General Running forums was interesting.

theyapper

On the road again...

Hey everyone -

Just checking in to whine a bit about how awesome my training cycle has been and how much it sucks to have a cold in the middle of it.  I'm sure that rest is the best thing, but I hate missing training runs.

Anybody got any quick fixes??  Wink

Seriously, hope everyone is well.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Welcome TakeAHike!  I, too, had a time goal for my first, but didn't want to be too aggressive.  But it was only 12 minutes slower than my current PR (after 16), so I guess I did ok.

Anybody got any quick fixes??  Wink

Run through it?  Anyway, the conventional wisdom is that if the symptoms are above the neck, running is ok.  I generally ignore the conventional wisdom and run through most anything, unless I feel absolutely horrible.  Or if it is flu-like symptoms.  Or if I'm limping.  But that's just me.

Perry - also the speed work has notes on distance / repeats / pace in my plan.

rmt3b - if you stalk Perry's log (you can click on the little bar chart icon under his name on his posts), you can see he has logged 14 marathons, with one under 3:10 and several under 3:20.  He's just being modest.  (Click on personal records, then scroll past the many very odd race distances, then click on marathon to see all the marathon races he's logged.  Or any other distance, of course).

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

got 3 miles in at lunch..I have a long way to go to get back..but Im better than I was before I took up running--couldnt run a mile. I just plan to keep on getting out there to make running a habit again.

Hope everyone is having a great week--running and otherwise.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

got 3 miles in at lunch..I have a long way to go to get back..but Im better than I was before I took up running--couldnt run a mile....

And you're going in the positive direction, which is great. I am very looking forward to when we (northerners) are going in the positive direction with regards to evening daylight.

theyapper

On the road again...

Took Lou's advice and got my stuffy head out the door for an easy 4.5 miles.  HR was a bit elevated, but that was expected due to my current condition.  Still felt fine.

Way to get out there, Murph!

Paul

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'm like Lou - I run when I'm sick. Sometimes I feel better after the run.

Took Lou's advice and got my stuffy head out the door for an easy 4.5 miles.  HR was a bit elevated, but that was expected due to my current condition.  Still felt fine.

Good for you, Paul.

I take my blood pressure every morning (I've had issues and need to watch it).  So I can also track my (almost) resting pulse rate.  I can see when I'm about to get sick because my RHR starts rising, up to 10 bpm a couple of days before I feel symptoms.

I've never seen that running has made me feel worse -- like Perry says, sometimes I feel better afterwards.

I was sick last night and this morning. Nasty stomach bug..and my son threw up last night as well. Hopefully he takes a nap soon, so I can rest as well. My symptoms are below my head, so I will not be running Sad

Docket_Rocket

Hi, guys.  I've been MIA for 2 pages so I might need to introduce myself again.

Hope everybody is doing well.  I'm in between marathons, so taking it easy in recovery week # 2.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Hey, DR - welcome!  (or welcome back!)  I forget which marathon you ran -- good experience? 

rmt3b - I like your pace over months chart.  I always wondered how the summer heat affects my pace -- maybe I'll make a chart like that as well.

Paul - feeling any better?

Good run yesterday for me -- 9.2 @ 8:17/mi, followed today by a 3 mile recovery run.

theyapper

On the road again...

Paul - feeling any better?

Nice 9.1 miles @ 8:46 this morning.  Not "Lou" or "Perry" fast, but I'd say I'm feeling better.  If I get through my 15 miler tomorrow feeling good, I'll say I'm 100% back.

MTA: Didn't get 15 miles, stopped at 14.  Kind of a crappy run, and I decided another mile wasn't gonna gain me anything more. Still the highest weekly mileage I've run in quite some time, so I'm happy.  And, I feel pretty good.  #win

Paul

the highest weekly mileage I've run in quite some time, so I'm happy.  And, I feel pretty good.  #win

45 miles -- not too shabby, and more than I'll get this week -- nice!