Marathon Trainers

December 2012 (Read 366 times)

evanflein

Wow... I'm wondering if we want to go back to weekly threads? Might be time....

Nice to see all the new folks, and welcome to marathon training, TakeaHike! I've been missing due to work and travel, no time to post and not much time to run either. I did get a nice 9.1 mile run when in Manhattan earlier this week. I never knew there was a nice bike path along the Hudson, and it was a great run! Other than that, we logged a lot of walking miles while taking in Manhattan in December. The weather wasn't great, but it was above freezing so I was happy!

Yeah, Perry tends to be a bit modest. He's a very good marathoner.... I hope Paul is feeling better and Murphy's kids are good to go for Christmas pictures. We'll be wanting to see those, ya know....

Back home in Fairbanks in time for the bottom to drop out of the thermometer again. It's been -40° today but at least it was bright and sunny (and a tiny bit warmer) at our house. I've been doing house stuff most of the day, and now at my office for some catch up work (ha, and posting at RA, apparently). Will run about an hour on the treadmill in the garage (*sigh*) after I get home.

Hey, we're only a week away from gaining daylight!!!

Bugs

-40F Yikes!!

Murphy the name change was smart. Those girls, so cute and they look just like you.

I had left the group, and couldn't find you guys. So glad the group is still around. 

I have been running, lots of run/walking, and I love this. My feet hurt when I run, ignore it.  Worst is making sure I don't make gait adjustments. I get a blister on side of foot that never happened before.  I went to new doctor, lots of tests, confirmed not arthritis. My new doc says it is neuropathy pain. May improve, may get worse, likely will stay the same. During Thanksgiving for a few weeks I was in terrible pain and had fever, but since then pain free except for feet, and some hand pain. I'm able to lift weights and bike. Determine to try swimming again, which I had stopped because it hurt my hands. I have a prescription for nerve pain but feel so good have not filled it yet. Worried about the side effects, and don't want work to be affected.

I'm still determined to  be a runner. Word on the street is activity makes nerve pain worse. I can't find an athlete group training through it. I can't embrace the idea of no more half marathons. I want to run Ragnar this summer and I'm training now, to see if I could run 12 miles in 24 hours. I know I'm nuts. I see in my friends eyes what they think, my family says to accept what I can't, but I won't say can't, not yet.

Bugs

theyapper

On the road again...

Did I read this right?? Minus 40°F??!!  Whoa.

Bugs - you've got a fire in you.  I love that!  Praying you find good runs ahead.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

That's rough Bugs - good thing you've such a strong spirit.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

TakeAHike

Thanks for the warm welcome.  I don't post that often, but I will keep coming back. 

RMTB:  I recognize you too. It is nice to have another Pavement Pounder here.

Murphy: 10 marathons and you have never run 1,000 miles in a year?  Well, that is encouraging.  I had thought that 20 MPW over 52 weeks is a bit light in advance of marathon training.  I'm glad to see that less extensive mileage has worked for you. 

Amores: Thanks for pointing out that thread.  I will definitely need to work on a Gu strategy during my training runs.  I also need to practice drinking on the fly.   

Ski season has started in our household, which means we ski every weekend through mid-March.  I love to ski, but I need to completely change my running schedule.  So far, it has not gone well.  It is almost impossible for me to run on the weekends now and I have been inundated with work and to work-related holiday parties.  I hope to get back in the groove on December 26th.

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20

TakeAHike...I surely don't advocate my approach. But consistant mileage with some long runs in the couple months before the marathon and you will do fine. Working on a running plan for 2013 and my goals...something not overly optimistic, but need to keep moving next year..
              Docket_Rocket

Hey, DR - welcome!  (or welcome back!)  I forget which marathon you ran -- good experience? 

rmt3b - I like your pace over months chart.  I always wondered how the summer heat affects my pace -- maybe I'll make a chart like that as well.

Paul - feeling any better?

Good run yesterday for me -- 9.2 @ 8:17/mi, followed today by a 3 mile recovery run.

The last one was Las Vegas.  It was not a good experience in the sense that I got an anaphylactic asthma attack at Mile 9 but I finished.  But my next is coming in 3 weeks so I'm looking forward to that.

Hi, guys.  I decided to take most of the week off.  Most needed break from running.  I might go out and run some today because I am finally itching to go out there.  5K on Saturday to see where my fitness is at without any speedwork since marathon training.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Going to try running some more goal-MP this afternoon.

looked at the calendar and started to put together my plan for 2013. I was looking at the Spring NC 24 but they moved it up a couple weeks earlier than it was last year. I just don't think I can be quite where I want to at that point. But I do think I can be ready to knock out the Flying Pig a couple of weeks later..and hopefully a PR (which for me would result if I don't have to walk the last 6 miles).

I will do the Fall NC24 September 21-22 with a plan to significantly improve on my 69 miles I did this Spring.

I like the start of a new year. I'm always so optimistic.

Hope everyone is avoiding all the illness that is going around..and running well.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

7.5mi w/u & 8.5mi MP. I'm happy.

evanflein

Yeah, around here we say that Murphy isn't undertrained, he's just over-tapered. Wink

Bugs!! So nice to see you here again and you've still got that indomitable spirit burning away! Can't keep you down, no way. Continue to take care of yourself as you work your way back. No setbacks!

Nice run for you, Perry! I'd be happy too! I haven't run over 9 miles in many weeks....

We've had a really crappy November/December. October was not warm but not too cold and hardly any snow so I was able to run outside a lot. That sure changed in November when we still didn't get much snow but the temperatures just got consistently cold. We usually have a few days of real cold, then it warms up a bit and is nice for awhile before the next high pressure ridge rolls in. But November was the 5th coldest since records have been kept, and December has been so freakin' cold except when it warmed up for a couple of days and we got over a foot of snow. Nice. So... I've been wearing out my treadmill and between work, cold and travel I just took a few days off entirely.

Got in a nice 8.1 mile treadmill run last night though with some half mile repeats at 8 m/m pace, then some quarter mile bits at 7:30. That felt good!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

... But November was the 5th coldest since records have been kept,...

How cold was it?

How cold was it?

From a google search:

OVERALL...AT THE FAIRBANKS INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT THE AVERAGE HIGH
                            TEMPERATURE IN NOVEMBER WAS 0.4 DEGREES ABOVE ZERO AND THE AVERAGE
                            LOW WAS 17.9 DEGREES BELOW ZERO. THE AVERAGE FOR THE MONTH OF 8.7
                            DEGREES BELOW ZERO WAS 11.3 DEGREES COLDER THAN NORMAL AND MADE THIS
                            THE 6TH COLDEST NOVEMBER IN MORE THAN A CENTURY OF WEATHER
                            OBSERVATIONS. THE HIGHEST TEMPERATURE FOR THE MONTH AT THE AIRPORT
                            WAS 22 DEGREES ON THE 10TH...WHILE THE LOWEST WAS 31 BELOW ZERO ON
                            THE 30TH. THE TEMPERATURE DIPPED INTO 40S BELOW IN A FEW OF THE
                            NORMALLY COLDER LOW LYING AREAS DURING THE LAST TWO DAYS OF THE
                            MONTH. IN CONTRAST...TEMPERATURES AT SOME HIGHER ELEVATIONS DID
                            NOT DROP COLDER THAN 10 BELOW ANYTIME DURING NOVEMBER.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

evanflein

Thanks, Lou! THAT'S how cold it was! Although I'll admit to being in those somewhat higher elevations mentioned... December hasn't been much better but it's much warmer today! Merry Christmas!

Docket_Rocket

Hi, guys.  Last week was a busy week for me and this week has been a lazy one.  I tried to race a 5K on Saturday and this girl ended up tripping me and I hurt my knee.  I'm back in the groove but the knee looks horrible.

That is cold.  I'll stop complaining about my 80F when so many of you are going through blizzards, storms, and cold weather.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page