Marathon Trainers

WEEK 3/23 (Read 447 times)

Bugs

I don't think I could pick... I'd pick a more west coast race and most of you guys are easterners... (hey, compared to me, even Bugs is an east coaster!!). I need a TX race... and AZ or NM... any ideas?
    I was planning on using FF miles. However flights are very cheap right now and it would be great if you could make it. If it worked out that I could find a really cheap flight (Eg. I was finding flights to Ohio for $300 and not even looking hard for a deal), I would let you buy my FF miles for the price of my flight, just something to consider. If people go out of there way to meet up I certainly hope everyone has time for a social gathering afterwards. I'm very sore today from that 17 miles. I seem to loose fitness (and gain weight) so quickly. I just don't see how I can be faster than 3:58 by June 20ths. My neice is moving to NC, and wants me to come visit. I am 'toying with the idea of a new race line-up: 1. May 9th - Fargo Marathon Training Run 2. June 20th - Grandmas - Half easy Half Fast 3. July 11th - NC Grandfather Mountain Marathon - HILL TRAINING - no time goal, just to strengthen legs, get out of MN http://www.marathonguide.com/races/racedetails.cfm?MIDD=1162090711 4. Aug 20th - Ragnar Relay 5. Fall Marathon - BQ effort Good line-up or recipe for disaster

Bugs

Dave

I'll post more later. Nice 8 miler this morning with Jhallum. Great to meet him and person and we had a very nice run together. First real run since the marathon and it felt nice to run a little bit hard again. 8:12 average pace.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Cool that you got to run with jhallum. Still working on motivating myself to run 17 miles with temps in the low 40's and 30 mph winds and scattered rain showers. Bugs that schedule would gain you maniac status. IF you can really do them as training runs and not race them, I say go for it.
          Just reading that plan makes me tired, Bugs, but I agree with Murphy. I, too, took a while before I went out for my long run today, but I ran it just fine. Well, my knee pulled me up short at mile 9, but I stopped and tried to find some ibuprofen in my camelback (none there), bent it a couple of times, decided to try again and if it bothered me as such call it a day. I was fine. Weird. Nice you got to run with Jeremy, Dave. 20.2 miles, 2:55:31, 8:42/mi, AHR 148 (76% MHR) miles@pace(AHR) = 5@9:13(139), 10@8:46(146), 5.19@8:03(159)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Bugs

Bugs that schedule would gain you maniac status. IF you can really do them as training runs and not race them, I say go for it.
            Ya, it may be too much. I don't have a goal to be a maniac. I just would like to run more races before I'm 50. I know when I run a marathon all out I need the 30 days recovery so I have to set my goals accordingly. I would rather have a BQ goal for July but July isn't marathon season any more.

Bugs

Kimmie

Still working on motivating myself to run 17 miles with temps in the low 40's and 30 mph winds and scattered rain showers. t.
              Murphy- YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!! Smile hope that helps. Bugs, very impressive line up. I agree with Murphy and Lou.... what if you went for the BQ at Fargo? I know you've been sick, but you've also got some good training in, so you may be able to do it. Of course, you know better than me... Dave, very cool- where did you guys run? Lou-20 miles at 8:42 pace- unbelieveable- very nice. I'm back from Massanutten- Getting ready to go out for 15 miles. Unlike Murphy, we have gorgeous weather here this afternoon, so I'm fortunate.
                Fell back asleep, just woke up. Maybe my body is trying to tell me to take the day off. Or maybe not. I am going to get out there. No promises on how many miles Im going to run, however.
                evanflein

What's a massanutten? Bugs, I agree with everyone here, just be careful. You tend to get injured when you push too hard. Cash, I love midnight (or late night) runs here in the summer, but then it's still light out! Not so sure about where you are. And I tried looking for those shoes, and can't even find them online. Might be something I just come across at a store here and there. Lou, nice run. Especially those last 5. I've tried doing that progressive run and have a hard time keeping the first 5 slow enough. End up going out too fast and sputtering through the last few. Last week's 20 miler was 8:24 average, but the last five were on a downhill trend. Heh, planned that one well, no? So cool for Jeremy and Dave to meet up for a run. Anyone wanna come up here and run with me?? Tongue Heading out for 16 later today. Because I bailed on my first 20 at 15 miles, I've pushed everything back a week. Determined to get my 3 20-milers, whether I need them or not. I've got several runs of 17 to 19 miles, so may not need it. This gives me my last 20 miler next weekend and a two-week taper for Boston. Hope it's enough. I foresee a lot of pool running in those two weeks to make sure all my parts are in good working order.

Bugs

Bugs, very impressive line up. I agree with Murphy and Lou.... what if you went for the BQ at Fargo? I know you've been sick, but you've also got some good training in, so you may be able to do it.
                    My legs were tired at 12 miles yesterday. I'm out of shape but I'm healthy. Murphy, Think of conditions Erika has to endure. Think of all the those people in Fargo sandbagging for a week in 8F. You will be fine.

Bugs

evanflein

Think of conditions Erika has to endure.
                      "endure" heh I like that. Today I'll be enduring some new snow on the roadsides making for some tricky footing, and temps in the mid-to-upper 20's so that part should be nice. No goals for pace, plan is 16 miles.

Dave

Jeremy is seriously fast. Ever seen a cat with an injured mouse just sort of toying with it? That's the way I felt today. Big grin We ran one mile at 7:15 and he asked me what the split was and guessed a 7:45. He's going to do great at Bayshore. I'm toying with the idea of running another marathon up at Frederick, MD first weekend of May. It would be a shame to waste all this fitness. Hope you feel better, Bugs. Lots going on for you with the floods and all. Try not to read too much into any one run. You're building fitness and it doesn't happen in a straight line. Great job in the LR, Lou. MTA: Jeremy hit his best mileage ever this week at 75. Awesome.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Thanks Bugs. I needed that. I think once I get out there, I'll be good. Im sitting at 36 miles for the week. Would kick myself if I didnt get over 40. Over 50 would be great--so 14 will be my minimum goal for today (Plus it will get me another run in the 52 in 52 group). I am going to hit the flat, more wooded trail which will help me avoid the wind on the 2nd half of the run.
                            Good luck on your run Murphy!! Very cool that you and Jhallum got to run together!! CONGRATS on your new weekly milage PR Jhallum! Dang Bugs being sick all week then running 17 miles DAMN! Nice schedule you have lined up there Smile ALso sending lots of positive vibes to all the peeps dealing with flooding in the midwest! Enjoy your run today Erika! At least you don't have to deal the crap from Redoubt! Enjoy your 15 miler Kimmie! As for me I finished the week with 82 miles. Almost 13 hours of running this week and can I say my legs are finally feeling it! This following week will more than likely be a cut back week. Can't have completely dead legs this Saturday since I'll be pacing a friend in a 10 mile (hilly) race. Guess my legs will be deciding what I run each day this week. Hope everyone has had a great weekend!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

I was feeling good about my LR until I read that Shan has run yet another marathon. Now I feel like a weeny for complaining about my "tired legs". Wink

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Bugs - i was thinking about grandfather too!!! Lou - you should stalk me more! Wink I put it on facebook and I think it's in our racing schedule here. And YOU ARE AMAZING!!! OMG I need a nap... there is a summary of Ocean Drive Marathon in my log. It was killer!! I'm ready for next weekend!!!