Marathon Trainers

WEEK 3/23 (Read 447 times)

Question for Team Blister. Should I run the 15k race on Sunday or do a longer slow training run of 15-17 miles? If I run it, what kinda pace vs my marathon pace would you recommend? My marathon is 5 weeks away. I am building up mileage not so gradually. If I do the 15k I will end up in the mid 40s this week (Doing 13 tonight). If I do the long run, I will be in the 50 mile range. I have concerns, and am leaning in one direction, but dont want to bias the responses.

Oh Mighty Wing

I say do what sounds more fun. That's what I do!
        I say go for a long slow long run keeping pace somewhere between a 1 1/2 minutes to 2 minutes slower than marathon goal pace. But I have to add my first reaction was do the 15k however if your marathon is 5 weeks away and you really haven't done much long runs , you'll benefit more from the longer run. Just make sure your carefull no matter what you choose Smile

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

evanflein

Regarding Columbus, Its a reasonablish drive for anyone that doesnt want to fly..or a cheap flight...
          Ha! Speak for yourself! Big grin Murphy, you could also do a nice warm up, run the race (but don't "race" it) as practice, and then add a nice cool down. Get your miles in, and do your race. You'll just have to give up PR hopes for the race itself. I like doing races in marathon prep because I can always use the practice of pacing and going thru the water stops, taking Gu, etc. After all the marathons I've done, I still suck at all that.
            Murphy, you could also do a nice warm up, run the race (but don't "race" it) as practice, and then add a nice cool down. Get your miles in, and do your race. You'll just have to give up PR hopes for the race itself. I like doing races in marathon prep because I can always use the practice of pacing and going thru the water stops, taking Gu, etc. After all the marathons I've done, I still suck at all that.
            THAT is something I was thinking might be a good idea while driving to the store. I say that's a winner!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Kimmie

My thoughts are similar to Erika's but I think that you can still race it. run a slow 2 mile warmup, 1 mile a little faster with some strides, then the 15K, then a 2-3 mile cool down slow. That's what I would do. But I also agree with Pam that long runs are most important, so if you think you might not do the warmup and cooldown, then you should go for the long run instead. I juts had a great treadmill workout. 1/2 mile warmup- 5.5 mph mile repeats: M1- 7.5 (8:00 pace) M2- 7.6 mph M3- 7.7 mph Mile 4, I changed it to 1/4s- 7.8, 8.0, 8.3. 9.0- last quarter 1/2 cool down- That is one thing I like about treadmills, set the pace and don't touch it. I'm thankful for this group, because I"ve been feeling my motivation lacking for awhile now and you all keep me going. As for the group trip, I'm going to get out a map and pinpoint what would be most central for most people. Or we could all say screw it and go to Florida for the Miami Marathon. At least we would have the beach- and flights to Florida are cheap.
                There's a 5k at 9 am and the 15k starts at 10 am, I could run both! Roll eyes I cant see running it without racing it. And, It is a bear of a course. If Im not going to race--why pay the fee for a 9.3 mile run? My concerns with racing it is that it may hurt my mileage the following week. Getting a 13 miler in today, and another 8 miler in on Saturday..so Im not so concerned about forgoing the long run--especially since I'll be ramping my mileage up from 25 to at least 45 without a "long" run. As far as the marathon trip..be sure to take into account a fast course if we all want to shoot for PRs, and Dave is moving from DC. I obviously favor Columbus, and would be hard pressed for anything that would keep me out of town for more than one night with a 1 month old.
                  Here's the course map..Its mostly all Highway. Although looking at the weather (Snow Showers/Wind--WTF??) heat wont be an issue. http://www.heartmini.org/course.html
                  theyapper

On the road again...

As far as the marathon trip..be sure to take into account a fast course if we all want to shoot for PRs...
                    I'll be PRing at Richmond. Big grin Big grin

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Oh Mighty Wing

aaahhh I LOVE THE RAIN!!!!

Bugs

Murphy, I'm in a similiar situation. I'm short on long runs, marathon coming up, and there is a 15 mile race I'd like to do. It's only $6. Coach and I talked, and we both agreed I should just run long, my three hours. I've never wanted to run more after a race. I can't imagine asking Murphy to leave his one month to run a marathon. I don't want to be responsible for a divorce. I feel the same for Lou, if I were him I'd be saving my money and vacation to see grandbaby. So I guess us girls are all going to go run a beach marathon and go shopping in stilettos afterwards.

Bugs

Dave

I'll be PRing at Richmond. Big grin Big grin
                          When is Richmond? MTA: Erika is spot on as usual on the advice for Murph. I do think you should run at least some miles at your race pace in the next couple of weeks though. Maybe the back half of a long run.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Kimmie

Nov. 14th.... I've heard really good things about Richmond. Hey, speaking of babies, when is Brian coming back? brian, if you're reading this, check in... even if you're not running... and we need more baby pictures. Bugs, I've done the pros and cons to a Florida marathon in my head since my family lives down there... the weather is a crapshoot, but it's flat. You have the Palm Beach Marathon in Nov. and the Miami Marathon in Jan. Just sayin... if you're gonna fly somewhere for a marathon.... What say you, Erika? I could be talked into something on the West Coast, but I'd have to start saving my pennies now.
                              Ran 13.1 Tonight Big grin Relatively even splits. Planned on 11:30 mms, Couldnt slow myself down to that level at first. The only miles worse than that were the 2 miles that encompass the big-ass hill. I walk about 3/10 mile of that typically. Didnt fall off at the end, and wasnt really pushing. A good sign for the marathon. Feel I could have gone further without sacrificing pace. If I could go 13.1 miles further..I could be in for a surprise acome marathon time. I decided against the race while running tonight. Im running well, and Id hate to screw up my momentu, by racing and really tiring myself out or pulling something. Gonna go for about 17 miles slow on Sunday. Finishing out some long runs will do more for me mentally than PRing that race. Regarding Columbus: I would LOVE to meet y'all at the marathon. Its really the only one I could do. That said, I wouldnt begrudge anyone if they wanted to take the road trip to Florida to run a more unique/scenic marathon. If I had one travel marathon for the year, I could see how Florida would be a bit more tempting than Columbus Smile
                                We're definitely planning on doing the rock and roll marathon in San Diego next June. This morning was "general aerobic" on the Pfitz plan so I figured I could push it to MP. Felt sluggish the first mile but after a few I had to slow myself down a bit. 10.1 miles, 1:19:44, 7:55/mi, AHR 154 (79% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com