Marathon Trainers

Week of 7-5-2010 (Read 175 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Off to get my wife's battery tested, then attend our local track series tonight -- see if people show up to race in the heat. My wife pointed out to me that we have a "heat alert" -- although I just take that to mean they're telling me what I already know (from when I went out & took the battery out of her car) -- that it is hot outside. Yes, yes it is.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Cashmason

Just felt a moderate earthquake when I opened up this thread.

No running to report,  just cycling the last 4 days.

One of my clients at the gym is a head fiight attendant for Alaska Airlines.  She said that Alaskans are the nicest people.  Way nicer than the people she meets in most other states.  ( She must not meet Alaskan runners right after a marathon....  wink)

She also said that after 9/11  that Alaska Airlines first priority was getting flights working in the state of  Alaska before they provided service to any other state.    I found that interesting,  even though the name of the company has Alaska in it,  I think most of their revenue comes from the lower 48.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Brief race report of my 3200m. Also got 11mi in, and track night was a success -- and I have a lot of leftover grapes and orange slices to snack on tomorrow.

Hope everyone is surviving the heat. Did 4 miles late last night. Legs were a little tired at the end of the run. I will likely give them the night off. Have a work outing to a minor league baseball game tonight. Will be good to be there instead of watching Lebron screw my home town on national TV.
          theyapper

On the road again...

Rest day for me before a hot weekend of running, I'm sure.

Speaking of LeBron and how crazy this coverage has gotten, did you guys see this breaking news on Fox's site the other day?

Ok, so I touched it up a bit.  But it COULD have been breaking news...  

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

evanflein

Cash, Alaska Airlines has a monopoly here for the most part. They'd better work at getting service back up asap! And I think a huge part of their revenue comes from Alaska because there's really not much competition. It doesn't cost all that much more to do a round trip from Fairbanks to Seattle, than Fairbanks to Anchorage. It's ridiculous how much that 350 mile flight costs... especially in the winter when we truly don't have many options.

I ran home from work last night, 10.1 miles of hills in mid-70's temps and my legs were dead tired. I think last week and my weekend caught up to me big time. Today's run will be just 5-6 miles easy RAL, and after two longish runs in a row the last couple of days, I think that'll be just right. Highs up to 85° later today. That's warm for us but I know a lot of you would welcome that as a relief from the heat!

theyapper

On the road again...

It's very quiet around here lately.  Hope everyone is doing okay.

Heat is back.  Went out this morning for 5.2 miles at 5:45 am and it was already 75F and 90%H.  Felt like I got slapped as I walked out the door.  It'll be hotter than that tomorrow when I attempt my long run in balmy Columbia, SC.

Run well, everyone!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Kimmie

Hi you all....

I've been wondering where Pam is....

Well, day 8 of of no running and recovering from surgery.  I feel much better.  I have some energy in the morning and then get tired again in the afternoon.  I'm not supposed to do anything for another week.

I've been sleeping, watching TV, reading and people have been bringing me meals.  Super nice.

For the first few days, I was in such pain that I needed the pain killers.  Now, I'm fine and bored.  It's a bummer to miss out on swimming and running.  But just 2 weeks and then I'll see what has happened to my fitness.

Good running for everybody here, especially in the heat.    Erika, I'm always amazed at the "run home from work" thing.  I think that's cool.

Paul- looks like it's as hot there as it is here.

Lou- hope you're hanging in there with work busyness.

Bugs, Murphy, Perry, Dave and anyone else- hi!!

I will be checking in from time to time... trying to keep my sanity and my spirits up.  Smile

Dave

It has been a quiet day here in Blister-ville.

Back at work after a nice almost-week of vacation.  Actually got some nice running in and will go again today when I post this. 

Perry's battery troubles struck me last night as well.  Dead 12V battery in my Prius (not the expensive hybrid battery).  I read online that the tiny little battery cost over $400 and was pleasantly surprised to find out it was "only" $136 from my local dealer.  I jumped it and it started this morning but the car is 3 1/2 years old and that is just about the timing for a new battery in my experience.

Glad to hear you're feeling a little better, Kimmie, and that you've gotten such great support. 

Way to hang in there in the heat, everyone.  Cooler and less humid temps projected for this weekend.  I can't wait.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Hi Kimmie!! Hang in there! Great to have such good friends to help you with the dinners, etc..

Slightly cooler here as well. Rainy this morning. Did a relatively easy 30 mnutes on the treadmill.

Weigh in today was at 177 lbs. Down over 20lbs since my initial weigh in on May 28. Still in 2nd place, but gained on the leader. 5 more weigh ins to go.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

First long run in a while. Got tired, so promised self I could sleep in if I completed goal16mi -- was going to do morning brick with wife. Finished successfully, tired and tired feet. Drank diluted gatorade, cranberry juice, ate part of a protein bar, drank water, more diluted gatorade, rest of cranberry juice, and then hit the orange slices left over from track night this week. And hit the water again. Hope my stomach doesn't hurt from too much liquid...

Bugs

Kim,

So glad you are doing okay. It really does stink to be a woman sometimes. Hope you're able to just kick back and enjoy the down time. Last Monday I let myself just read and lay on the couch. It was great and highly recommend it.

Cash,

wow earthquake, I can't imagine. The two girls that came to run Grandmas were from California and they were all nervous about the tornadoes. (we get warnings all the time, but odds are unlikely, although one running friend 50 miles away got hit bad.) I'd be the same way about an earth quake.

Erika,

Not just long runs, but a race too are reasons to give yourself a recovery week.

I ran 9 yesterday but got a little ugly. Legs just are not recovering like they should be and it frustrates me. Not going to fight it. Going to do all 30 minute runs this week and see if that helps. Boat load of belly stress in me right now. DH's job, which is the secure and higher paying one in our house, appears to be doing some consolidation and long term doesn't look good. Just one of those times you wish you were small enough to have your parents tell you everything was going to be okay. Anyway I offered to cut back on races planned.

Bugs

Dave

So sorry to hear about DH's potential job issues, Bugs.  I hope the uncertainty blows over and things get back to normal.

I'm stoked today.  Hot tub decided to start working while I was on vacation so it seems to be working properly for the first time since I bought the house.  Beautiful weather this weekend in the low 80's and low humidity.

3 miles of mixed pace work on one of our local trails (Clinton River Trail) with DD5 on her bike.  Lots of starts and stops.  Slow then fast.  Glad to get the miles in the bank.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Happy Camper

Quiet day, quiet house. DW and DS2 are in Colorado visiting DD and DS1. Got an okay 12 & change this  morning but then needed a nap.  Time to clean some house.  Have the dish tuned into Sirrus and am enjoying the music. I would like to get the road bike out today but haven't decided if I want a good dose of heat, humidity and sun on top of what I got with this morning's run.

Kimmie:  Hoping you're feeling better today.

Murph: Congrats on the weight loss.  New picture on FB looks great!

Bugs:  Think the steady running in  less time and effort will have you back to normal soon. 

Oh well, time to get back to doing what ever the hell I want, whenever the hell I want to do it. 

Have a great weekend everyone. 

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Thanks P2R. Thats actually an old picture from almost a year ago, I went up from there, and now Im probably 15 lbs lighter than that picture. I do need to get a recent photo up.