Marathon Trainers

March 2012 (Read 206 times)

Not only did I kill last month's thread, I killed the whole forum?

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

evanflein

Geez Lou. Way to go.

Wink

So far March has been kind of tough on running here. We got 14" of snow earlier this week and still digging out. We are below normal snowfall levels this winter, but that doesn't seem to matter much. The snow we get seems to come in big dumps, then just little amounts in between. It looks like the plows have been out clearing the roads and I hope they get to the bikepath I like to run on. I ran 10 last Saturday and 20 on Sunday (half outside, half on the TM) and have been taking it easy this week to rest my legs. Was pretty sore for a couple days after that 30 mile weekend.

Made our flight arrangements for Boston, still need a hotel. What's the rush?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Tapering heavily for my marathon this weekend. (Where I may get to meet Tramps.)

Also just registered for RnR (aka National) - 3:40 pace group.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

What's the rush?

heh, good luck on the housing

What marathon are you running this weekend, Perry?  You're saying Tramps is running that, too? or is it local to his area?  Also, are you saying you're leading the 3:40 pace group next weekend?  Maybe you'll see Harriet who sometimes tries to keep up with that group for her half, at least for a little while (it would be a four minute PR if she stays with you the whole way).  I'll be running the half, too.

I've been getting in some good miles, with a PR week last week (62.9 miles), and otherwise.  Keeping my fingers crossed for an injury-free year.

evanflein

We just booked the Westin, kind of far away though but a real good deal for $98 per night. We've had good luck with the Hotwire.com system before, hope the trend continues. We'll just have to work at getting around as it doesn't seem to be near a T.

8.5 miles today, beautiful sunny day but chilly with temps hovering around zero, maybe up to +3 or so. Just the slightest of breeze from the east is really noticeable at those temps!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Yep, Tramps run our marathon (my fairly small running club puts it on) - he came up and said hi to me today at the lunch afterward.

I've never paced before, so next weekend should be interesting. Maybe I'll get to say hi to Harriet!

There are three of us on the schedule for pacing the 3:40 marathon.

You're screaming fast, Perry.  Nice race!  And you killed your PR.  Maybe I'll see you next weekend, too.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Thanks!

I remember why I don't like marathons right after I race one. That hurt, after the finish line, limping around, afraid to sit down, keeping moving (mostly hobbling) waiting for the blood flow to help reduce the soreness..

heh.  in 3:06 you barely had time to break a sweat.  Smile

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I saw the note in the masters forum (which I usually don't read -- way too much traffic for my little brain) that Erika was out racing mooses. Meese. Mise. Or just one, so I can just say moose.

evanflein

Yep, it was just one. I was actually more askeered of the damn dog that tried to eat me. I had a lot of excitement yesterday in just over 6 miles!

Nice nice race, Perry. Wow. How much of a PR is that? 3:06... I can hardly imagine that.

Kimmie

Just a quick pop in.... I've been reading some, not posting.

Well, I finally went to the ortho Dr. and diagnosis is achilles and ankle sprain/strain.   She recommended total rest for a week, going to PT and then re-evaluating.  I need to do some cross training, for sure.

The temps outside are so warm and I am already going crazy.  I will be good, though.   Don't want a chronic achilles tendonitis or anything.

Hope you all are well.... amazing work, Perry.

If you know of anyone who would like a Rock N Roll bib, let me know.

I havent been running a lick. that changes this week.I have a little over 1-1/2 months until the 24 hour race. While I won't be trained properly. I can still be way more prepared than I was for my first effort. My kids are finally healthy and sleeping predictably.

The weather is great - no excuses. I have 6 weeks of running available to me and 1 week of  resting before the race. My goal for this one is to improve from 65 miles to 80 miles. I think this is realistic. Hopefully I will be prepared to shoot for 100 miles in the September race.

Sorry about your injury Kimmie--hope you are doing better.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Didn't see Harriet. But I did get tired. I think the heat got to me.

evanflein

Poor lil' Team Blister seems to be snoozing in the corner these days... must be Lou's fault. Wink

Last big week before Boston for me. Did 10.7 today in 2-3" of new snow (!) but it was warm enough so it wasn't bad. When it's colder and the snow is real dry, it doesn't pack but shifts around under your feet making any push off really hard. When it's warm like this, it packs and isn't too bad at all. The tricky parts are where the snow has covered ice, and you don't know it's there till you slip on it... even with screw shoes! DH put some new screws in my shoes this morning; I was really hoping I'd be done with them by now!

One more 20 miler (tomorrow), then a 2 week taper. I'm so ready for that you wouldn't believe it.

On to April!