Marathon Trainers

Week of July 28 thru August 3 (Read 189 times)

evanflein

Well, since people posting on last week's thread didn't pull Mr Inertia out of hiding, I'll start the new thread for this week. Mr I... where are you? Hope all is well and you're just too busy to post. This week has my first scheduled 20 miler on Sunday after 10 on Saturday. These 30 mile weekends are tiring but excellent training as long as the old body holds together! We should post an update on what everyone is training for... 5k's to full marathons, and I guess we need to include triathlons so Cash can play, too. So... What's up guys? I'm training for the Equinox on Sept. 20, with three shorter races coming up in August (Aug. 2 is an 8k fundraiser race, Aug. 9 is a Half-Marathon, Aug. 23 is a 5k trail race).

Dave

8:36 recovery pace, Erika. Right Wink I struggle too but I seem to be able to slow down to around 9:20 without too much difficulty. Its the speeding up thing that's difficult right now. Long runs are still probably a bit too fast. I'm training for the Army 10 miler (early Oct), Marine Corps Marathon (28 Oct), and National Marathon in March 09.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Erika - thank you for helping us out! I hope this weekend goes well. They actually sound like a good time! I can't wait till I get there. Dave - 9:20 as a recovery pace - right! Wink I should teach both of you about recover and you can teach me how to run faster. I did a 3 mile recovery run today - somewhere between 12:45 - 13:10mm It was supposed to be an easy run but the legs are feeling a little beat up so I went for recovery. I'm training for the Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon on Nov. 23. There will probably be 1 or 2 5K's between now and then, but those are iffy. And I have no other race plans.
          Wow, those are recovery paces? I kinda stick with the MAF formula for most of my runs (180 - age +/- 5 beats) and that doesn't allow much speed these days. I usually end up around 10:30 and the HR climbs to about 150 by the end. But, this has allowed me to increase miles (last marathon program and this one) without injury, so I'll save the speed for races. I woke up yesterday to horrible allergies, hopfully they'll be nicer by 5:00 AM for my run tomorrow. If not, I'll just run anyway. I'm training for the Route 66 Marathon (Tulsa) on 11/16, but am running a 5k on 8/16, a 25k trail run on 9/14 and a 15k on 10/25. Oh, we got pictures of the baby today, but the little stinker didn't cooperate enough to tell the gender (hand was in the wrong place). It's only 15 weeks, so I didn't have any expectations.

Oh Mighty Wing

Oh, we got pictures of the baby today, but the little stinker didn't cooperate enough to tell the gender (hand was in the wrong place). It's only 15 weeks, so I didn't have any expectations.
            or maybe it's a boy and his hand was in a place it will be for many many years. Wink

Bugs

Erika, That's some amazing running you did this weekend. You must be using your own schedule? How do you feel after that 17? Brian, I'm guessing a shy girl. I think you're smart for keeping those recovery paces at right pace. Think I delay my recovery sometimes. That or I'm getting old. Undecided I won $130 pair of Oakley sunglasses tonight. The running store (Scheels) has a rep give a 20 minute sales talk before their weekly run every week. I ran with another girl before, and went only to try and win the glasses. I've only owned the cheap ones, which are all scratched and am beyond gitty about winning them. The frames are white, which isn't what I would have picked out, but I like them a ton. I am training for Twin Cities Marathon (October 5). It's my own schedule that is somewhere between Hal Higdon Int II and Pftizinger's 55 mile week plan. I'm running good miles, but finding running is taking a second priority more than usual. I use to be at every race and now some of the small ones I decide not to take the time, or spend the money. Feel a bit beat-up the last couple of days.

Bugs

Cashmason

Shan thats funny about the hand. A mile in the fishbowl tonight. Now am sneezing like crazy. Happens after almost every swim. Gallow swimming. Swim, rest, swim rest, repeat. Not training for anything right now. Just like to train. Will be volunteering at a 50 mile trail race in 10 days.

Oh Mighty Wing

Bugs - very cool about the sun glasses! Cash - why do you sneeze?
                    Nice theories on why the hand was in that spot. DW and I debated the same thing. DS (3 in November) has informed me that it is a girl, but that might be because there's a new girl at the babysitter and she's all he talks about lately. Skipped my run this morning because allergies are still kililing me. Hopefully I'll get the miles in tonight if it will cool off a few degrees. The only positive about muggy evening runs is that DS comes along for the first couple of miles. Bugs, a mix of those 2 plans could be interesting. I avoided the Pfitz plan this time because it has fewer, longer runs and I seem to feel healthier if I run more days/week. Seems like the 18/55 only had you running 4 days some weeks with a lot of cross training. I'm not very good about getting any cross training in. You've certainly got the long runs to jump into about any marathon anytime this fall. Had you been racing most weekends? How did you make that work with your long runs? I'd love to do more of the local 5k/10k races, but worry about turning around and doing a LR the next day.
                    evanflein

OMG Shan you're doing the Monkey?? Train for hills, girlfriend, train for hills. I have friends who run that (both marathon maniacs, one runs ultras a lot) and they were very impressed by the hills. They'll be there again this year though. I should have you look for them as it's a smallish race. Lots and Lots of marathon maniacs attend it, Trent likes it to be like a reunion race for maniacs.... It's on my "long list." Dave... Recovery pace for me (per McMillan) should be 9:46 to 10:16 minute miles, given 10k time last year. This same "plan" also has my HM goal of 1:43 based on a pace of 7:50. Right, well we'll see about that. But I have never run recovery or anything else that slowly (the 9:46 to 10:16...). I just can't. I've tried, and it feels so forced that I start getting aches and pains, etc. I think it's because I alter my gait to go that slowly. So I pace my recovery runs on effort, and if that means I speed up a bit on the downhill part, then that's what I do. Just trying to keep the effort easy and I figure I'm doing ok. Brian... have you tried Flonase? I start it up about 3-4 weeks before the birch pollen starts and I have no problems. Prior to finding that stuff (well, the generic), I was miserable every spring... Bugs, WTG on the glasses! That's awesome. I need some sunglasses for running and biking, if only to help keep the bugs out of my eyes (especially on the bike). One of these years I'll do Twin Cities... I've entered both Royal Victoria Marathon on Oct. 12 and the NYC Marathon on 11/2. I think I might have to skip both of them because I just can't get there. Was tying RVM to a conference in St. Louis, had it all planned out where I get to Seattle a day early, hop up to Victoria to spend the night with a friend, do the race then hop back on the plane and head on to my conference. But nooooooo..... our admin found a cheaper flight on Northwest going through Minneapolis and try as I might I can't make the Seattle/Victoria part work out!! Rats. I've paid for it already, too. Double Rats. NYC was a "free" entry from the sponsor (ING) that I got from my plan rep... they are our long-term disability vendor so that was nice. I've got the entry, pre- and post-race arrangements and hotel all done. Just can't "get there from here." Drat sometimes I do hate being so far away!!! Raining cats and dogs all night and day here. Flood warnings for some low-lying areas. I might go out at noon for 5 if it stops. Otherwise I'll hit the treadmill tonight after work.

Oh Mighty Wing

Erika - I think most paces are a matter of effort. My easy pace and recovery pace have intermingled before. So as long as recovery pace feels slow you are probably doing fine. And hey if we ever get to meet then we can make a deal - i'll run a medium effort and you run a recovery effort and we might just be able to stay next to each other Wink and yes I have hills worked into my training plan. I am attempting hilly runs for my medium long run for part or all of my long runs. At least they are as hilly as I can find. I'm going to be in Nashville this weekend and am getting together with Trent and some other Nashvillians to run part of the course so I can see just how crazy I am. It probably seems stupid given that fairly flat Philly, which is the same weekend, might be a better first try. But I really don't do well with crowds so the size of Philly scares me. Plus with lots of racers for FMM being on here I will "know" lots of people and will feel well supported. Also I won't know the difference between hard and harder at this point. Oh and it gives us a chance to see DH's SIL. I'm nervous and very excited. I hope that I can train well and fit in as many hills as possible and then I will just do my best. And then I will just plan on doing better on the next one!

Dave

Dave... Recovery pace for me (per McMillan) should be 9:46 to 10:16 minute miles, given 10k time last year. This same "plan" also has my HM goal of 1:43 based on a pace of 7:50. Right, well we'll see about that. But I have never run recovery or anything else that slowly (the 9:46 to 10:16...). I just can't. I've tried, and it feels so forced that I start getting aches and pains, etc. I think it's because I alter my gait to go that slowly. So I pace my recovery runs on effort, and if that means I speed up a bit on the downhill part, then that's what I do. Just trying to keep the effort easy and I figure I'm doing ok.
                          Pace-wise, McMilllan has us both at about the same pace levels based on the 1:44 HM I ran back in March. I think you're in MUCH better shape though as my shorter effort doesn't seem to translate into as fast a pace in the full 26.2 distance. FWIW, I'm willing to bet you'll run a 1:42 HM or faster based on some of your training runs. We'll see. All the low-HR nazi's enthusiasts make me feel bad for not running slower. You've given me permission to run what feels good! Thanks! Cool I was thinking the same thing about the Monkey, Shan. Tough first marathon.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

I was thinking the same thing about the Monkey, Shan. Tough first marathon.
                            yeah i'm probably an idiot.

Dave

yeah i'm going to do GREAT!!.
                              Fixed that for you. If you really focus, you'll do fine. Having run only an incredibly flat marathon (USMC only has a few hills in the first 7 miles or so), I can only imagine how much harder it will be to run the hills. My last half was uphill for the last 3 miles and the carnage was amazing.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Fixed that for you. If you really focus, you'll do fine. Having run only an incredibly flat marathon (USMC only has a few hills in the first 7 miles or so), I can only imagine how much harder it will be to run the hills. My last half was uphill for the last 3 miles and the carnage was amazing.
                                Thanks!!! I am going to try and focus as best I could. I also think I'm going to blindly follow this thought "I haven't done one before so I won't know the difference between a tough course and an easy one" - that seems like a good thought. Plus at least I have all of you to keep me going!!!