Marathon Trainers

Week of 8/18-8/24 (Read 259 times)

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Got a little extra sleep this morning so I'm heading out for 4 miles during lunch. Big grin

Oh Mighty Wing

MR. I!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Big grin MTA: because I whacked the screen out!
        Hey Mr. I, where ya been? Don't think you can just sneak in, tell us about an upcoming 4 miler, and sneak away. 4 miles this morning and my legs were trashed. I always forget that the 2nd day after my 5ks, my legs have absolutely nothing. This was definitely one of those gut it out days. Tomorrow will be better!

Bugs

Got a little extra sleep this morning so I'm heading out for 4 miles during lunch. Big grin
          Welcome back. Long vacation? What's the punishment for extended Internet absence? 100 push-ups and 100 situps I think.

Bugs

Bugs

I always forget that the 2nd day after my 5ks, my legs have absolutely nothing.
            [cough], [cough] Race Report?

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

Speaking of race reports - I liked your outfit Bigs!!

Bugs

Speaking of race reports - I liked your outfit Bugs!!
                Thanks. Not very sexy, but comfortable and cool. I like the cute blue girl's outfit. I wish I could wear stuff like that.

Bugs

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Things have gotten pretty crazy for me as of late. Running hasn't been the same since Bayshore this year. I tried to get back into it too quickly and the wheels just fell off my training. I was getting out but not as consistently as I wanted and every run was a struggle. Even 4 slow miles was tough. every now and then I'd hit a half way decent workout, but it was always followed by several rotten ones. Three weeks ago I ran the worst HM I've ever run, and I started out VERY conservatively. Other things have been crazy, too. I've had my plate fairly full of church stuff and work has been difficult. Throw in some disharmony in some of my personal relationships just to make things more chaotic. Oh, and I was taking an SSRI for a little while for something other than depression. SSRIs when you're not depressed suck more than just about anything. So short answer is I've been trying to run as much as I could, but it hasn't been a ton. I took a full week off after my HM. With all of the other stuff going on, I haven't felt social. I even stopped reading my running mags and books. But now things seem to be coming back together for me. I've been looking forward to my runs again, they've been going better and I've started reading running stuff again. last week I finally got out for four runs. I've shelved my fall marathon. However I think I'm ready to switch from "just running" mode to "training" mode and follow either the red or blue plan in Daniel's Running Formula which will carry me through the end of the year and prep me to get ready to train for a spring marathon. So there you go and here I am. Oh, and I've missed you guys.

Dave

Great to see you back, Mr. I. Seriously, every few weeks someone posted a "Where is Mr. I?" post Smile 5.7 this morning in some rolling terrain near the lake. Felt awesome. My wife ran the first bit and last bit with me. Seems like she might be starting to catch the bug. We'll see.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Mr. I - glad you are back! Sorry things have been rough! But I'm glad you are starting to see the sun again. Dave - I think we made it almost once a week with the wonderings!!
                        [cough], [cough] Race Report?
                        Well, I wrote a quasi-race report on Saturday, but both the race report and the race were pretty uneventful. I mixed a 5k in between 2 miles and 4.1 miles, to make Saturday still be a "long run" day. It was 70s and muggy, not exactly PR conditions, and I missed my PR by 17 seconds. Ran 23:44 which I'm pretty happy with considering my legs are pretty tired and I've hardly run any fast miles lately. It did help to tell myself before and during the race that, "5ks are supposed to hurt", and this one was no exception. Local cross country teams either used this as a meet, or a practice of some sort because there were a couple hundred of the little buggers around. Felt good anytime I passed one of them, it was all I could do to not tell them to quit whining the whole way. Hmmm, that's about all. Back to slow, easy miles for me. Mr I, sorry to hear you've had a rough go lately, sounds like things are getting back on track since the running magazines are cool again. Cooler temps are coming, that should help too.
                        evanflein

Good to see you again Mr Inertia!! Whew, I tell ya, we were getting tired of starting the weeklies for you all the time. Glad to see we don't have to worry about that now! Wink Honestly, good to have you and while it's a bummer to have gone through a stretch like you did (talking the running stuff here), sometimes it helps you refocus and figure out what you want to do. As for the other stuff, sorry to hear that. Hope things are looking up in all areas for you. Bugs, that picture of your son at the end of last week's thread is priceless. What a cutie. And I agree that blue outfit that one girl was wearing (the one who passed you at the last moment... grrrr!), is really cute. I have a black running skirt I really like, but haven't branched out into other colors. While the blue getup is nice, I have a thing about looking too "matchy" in my stuff. I sort of like the slapped together look... Big grin I did manage to do some stuff this weekend... Got over 10 miles in on Saturday (10.8 total) including a short warmup, an extremely hilly 10k race, and a 4.1 mile run to get my 10. Race was a fun run, and I almost didn't do it but glad I did... I got 3rd woman overall (with an abysmal 50:56 time!) and won a $25 gift card to the sponsoring bagel shop! Cool stuff, I love it when you win more than your entry fee... The race was over half uphill... steep stuff. The last 2.8 miles was down on trails and some of it got pretty technical with rocks, roots, mud, etc. But it was fun, and I do love their bagels... free bagels and coffee at the end, too. Sunday I got a late start on my 2nd 20 miler of this training cycle, left at 1 pm and it was already getting pretty warm out there. I lost almost 6 lbs on the run, oy. Not a fun way to lose weight! I drank water at my parents' house at mile 7, but from there to the end I was out on my own. Could've used some Gu and Water at about mile 10 or 11... The last few miles were really hard but I managed to keep up my paces. Was trying a "wave run" where you alternate "easy" with marathon pace or half-marathon pace miles. Usually these are 14-15 mile runs, but I thought I'd try it with a 20. Not really successful because I kept losing track of what I was supposed to be doing, and THAT's because my "easy" miles were frequently as fast as my faster miles. Oh boy. I really suck at these sort of structured runs. I tend to just "go run." Thinking of heading to the gym tonight after work. My foot is a little sore from the weekend, and I might try some pool running and/or weights. I haven't done weight training really since before Boston...
                          evanflein

Does the thread seem really "wide" to everyone else? Or is it just my stoopid PC. Usually I get this just when there are wide pictures in it... Ok, just went back and read the part of last week's thread that I missed... Where Bugs posted about her race and Cash put his foot bigtime in his mouth... (payback's a bitch, dear ol fren...) And I agree... Shan, you have all the mommy symptoms...! Like Bugs, I spent the first trimester looking for napping spots everywhere. When I didn't come back from a research project at the library after lunch, my boss sent the secretary over to look for me thinking I'd fallen asleep behind the stacks! So, we're all nosily wondering what the results are... Bugs, nice job. 7:45's on tired legs is pretty darn good I'd say! Hey Cash, Dromedary is trying to get me to come back and run Carlsbad again, she says someone needs to come teach you a lesson... Hmmm, found a conference in San Diego that week.... Big grin

Oh Mighty Wing

no no... a couple more days... still ignoring you all... But look at what my WONDERFUL husband constructed for me this weekend: yes that's a wall o shoes!!! Big grin
                              Cashmason

Great pics of you and your kids Bugs. Nice closet Shan. Glad to have you back Mr. I. Erika, the advantage of having a really big mouth, is that I have room for the other foot as well... wink. Today, a very slow mile swimming in the fishbowl. Yesterday 7 x 100 meters of lunges with 30 pounds of weights. 3 x 100 meters of side lunges with weights. 3 short sessions of box jumps. 7 x up and down a flight of stairs. 50 sit ups 50 push ups. Did not hurt as bad as last week. What the heck are you gonna teach me Erika? I already know you are faster than I am. I don't mind training for half's, but training for fulls just isnt that much fun for me. Next week I start taking a tri class from a woman who finished 19th out of 56 in the Women's Olympic Tri in China yesterday. Sat was a 10 mile run. Ran a 5 mile loop twice. Usually stash some water and shot blocks in the bushes at one spot. This time the crows did not make off with my shot blocks. If I run 15 or 20 miles, they will rip open the plastic bag, then rip open the shot block bag and eat them.