Marathon Trainers

Thoughts on my plan (Read 124 times)

Oh Mighty Wing

Ok, here is what I have going on with the 5 day: Rest 2 4 2 Rest 2 5 15 Rest 3 4 2 Rest 2 6 17 Rest 3 4 3 Rest 2 7 19 Rest 3 4 3 Rest 2 8 20 Rest 3 4 3 Rest 3 9 22 Rest 3 4 3 Rest 3 10 23 Rest 3 5 3 Rest 3 11 25 Rest 3 5 3 Rest 3 12 26 Rest 4 5 3 Rest 3 13 28 Rest 2 5 3 Rest Rest HALF!!! The farthest column are total miles for the week. This starts in 3 weeks from today. The only thing I've been thinking is that the second run is my medium, the one following would be hills, and the last would be long. So that leaves me with 2 easy runs. Does this seem ok?? One thing I can see, but am not sure what to do about is that there is no cut-back week... not really sure how to fix that and be comfortable with mileage increase. To compensate I tried to do a 1mile build, 2 mile build pattern - not sure how that compensates, but it did in my head.... There are already things I would do differently but given the fact that I need to be conscious of NOT taking my knee for granted and that my weeks are limited this is what I have. I really do think it will work! But would like some advice from you guys also!

Dave

Shan, don't think you need to run the full 13 before the race. I'd cut back that last week to maybe 6. You also might want to think about reducing the 11 mile long run to 8 for a little bit of a step back. With fresher legs, you'll have an easier time with your longest run of 12 the following week. The other thing I'd try and do is get your 2 milers up to at least 3 right off the bat if your legs will take it. It will have the effect of getting your total mileage up a bit faster. 2 miles is better than nothing but 3 will get you out there for closer to the half hour mark and, I think, build more fitness. The other thing I'd change is to extend your midweek run to 5 starting in week 4 with the goal of geting it up to 6 by the time you run 11 on the last two weeks. Others may guide differently but I think you'll be in great shape for the HM. Regards, Dave

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

thanks Dave! I was thinking all of those things too! but is it too big of a jump?
          The one other thing I wonder is how necessary the hills are, especially if they upset your knee (that is the injury you're recovering from, right?). If the half is hilly, then it's probably more benficial. I know others will definitely disagree about the hills, but staying healthy is #1 right now. Maybe test the hills once you get upto 20 miles/week. If they feel good, stick with them. But, don't hesitate to dump them if the knee objects at all. I also agree on trying to get the 2-milers to 3 right away, assuming the body agrees with it. Just my opinion. Getting to the starting line healthy is the most important in my book. Brian

Oh Mighty Wing

Husker - i also thought about the hills. I thought I would start with thinking that I will do hills and then if they hurt i'll ditch them, but if I don't put them in i'll never even attempt them you know what i mean. Ok here is the new version with the suggestions: Rest 3 4 3 Rest 3 5 18 Rest 3 4 3 Rest 3 6 19 Rest 3 4 3 Rest 3 7 20 Rest 3 5 3 Rest 3 8 22 Rest 3 5 3 Rest 3 9 23 Rest 3 5 3 Rest 3 10 24 Rest 3 6 3 Rest 3 11 26 Rest 3 7 3 Rest 3 9 25 Rest 4 7 3 Rest 3 12 29 Rest 4 7 3 Rest Rest HALF!!! does that seem better?? healthy is number 1 and so all plans are subject to change I just want to have a nice solid plan to start out with and then I can always adjust as necessary.

Bugs

Shan, When do you plan to sign-up for this race? If it's now, I don't think you should do it, more stress than you need to put on yourself right now. As far as the schedule, I think you need at least two cut-back weeks in that schedule. I think a LR the weekend before is fine, but you should cut-back more the week of the race.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

don't actually know when i HAVE to sign up... i'm waiting till some time in april (probably toward end) give me a month to see how it's going! Ok so I changed the 8 miler to a 5 and on the last week I changed the 7 to a 5. Sound better? See I needed this help with cut-backs! I knew they needed to be in there but i'm not good at doing it on my own! haha

Bugs

Try Runner's World Smart Coach. You enter infor on where your at, what your goal is and it makes a schedule for you.

Bugs

Dave

I think it does look much better. Why don't you get into the training cycle and see how you feel after the first 4-6 weeks and then make your decision on the race? How about this one: Rest 3 4 3 Rest 3 5 18 Rest 3 4 3 Rest 3 6 19 Rest 3 4 3 Rest 3 7 20 Rest 3 5 3 Rest 3 5 19 Rest 3 5 3 Rest 3 9 23 Rest 3 5 3 Rest 3 10 24 Rest 3 6 3 Rest 3 9 24 Rest 3 7 3 Rest 3 12 28 Rest 4 6 3 Rest 3 9 25 Rest 4 7 3 Rest Rest HALF!!! I wouldn't want to run 12 the weekend before my half.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Dave that looks good too!!! Oh so many options so many thoughts!!! Big grin I'll have to think about the week before thing, not sure that it will be such a big deal. I did 12 prior to the knee thing and it was good... but definitely something to think about since i'm not using it as a guage for a full so i do want to be well rested to do my best! yes your thoughts on waiting is exactly why i'm waiting! I need to make sure my knee can handle it first.

Beer Drinker

daves last plan looks good to me, but i might not want to run 7 the week of, then again im pretty conservative and like to error on the side of being more rested... yer gonna cruise it!
                        Start off easy, then slow down.