Marathon Trainers

Week of 02/03-02/10 (Read 262 times)

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Hello? Anybody? It's Monday evening and nobody's had anything to say? I was slated for 8 miles with 4 at tempo this evening. I got in 6 miles with 4 at tempo pace. I was huffin pretty hard by the time I was done with that 4 so I called it a night. Could I have done the final 2? Probably. I'm not used to tempo running and wasn't sure just how beat up I was supposed to be when it was over. TM is a pretty good tool for keeping pace. Anyway, it's time for some spinach dahl, a bit of studying, and episode of Avatar and it's off to bed.

Oh Mighty Wing

Mr. I you put the date for last week through the 4th so we've all been posting there today. Although I think it's only a couple posts. So still a vegetarian? How is it working for you? I think if you felt beat up then you probably did the right thing!

Happy Camper

Hey Bugs: Ever consider Des Moines on 10/19? Only $55.00 with entry before 4/16. I'm looking at it as a possible attempt to join the maniacs. If I can get two in September I could add this for October. It's only a 4 and 1/2 hour drive for me. Nice progression run this morning. First three miles were over 10 mm pace with the last 8 mostly sub 9:30. My long Birthday/Mardi Gras/Super Bowl/MU-KU Big Monday Weekend Ends tonight. I've decided I'm too old now to party this young for this long!

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Oh Mighty Wing

haha pace i will lend you some of my youth since I barely party! (even when i try i suck at it) So you take some of my youth and put it to good partying use!
            heh, we keep extending the weeks with these threads. I walked 3 miles with DW for my cross training. Lots of rain today...gotta sneak 3 miles in tonight. Step back week of 3s and 7s and a long run of 9. Start getting into the big mileage weeks after this week. Start piushing 40 miles/week and it maxes out at 50. Im pretty sure Ive never done a 40 mile week before. My partying days are mostly over as well. Only really tear it up once or twice a year.
            evanflein

Totally blew off my cross training last night. Was going to ride my stationary bike for about an hour but just didn't do it. And I knew I wasn't gonna do it when I walked in the door. Oh well. Must've needed the extra rest after Sunday's long run in the snow and cold. I think that took more out of me than I realized. I have a sore spot on my nose from where my face mask froze to me. Sad I could really do without that... -45 this morning... we heard school was "optional" because of the dense ice fog, but had to tell my kids, sorry, not for you. Get your butt on the bus! Bugs, Twin Cities is same weekend as Chicago, first Sunday in October, right? Hmmm, not so sure. I think my travel wings are gonna get clipped pretty seriously this year. Sorta burned up a lot of good graces in that department this year. It fills up kinda quickly though, right? So not something I should put off. I do have a friend in Wisconsin I need to visit... Plan is for 5 miles tonight, with 3 at 10k pace. I've got that relay in AZ coming up in a few weeks and need to work on some speed for shorter distances. All this long run endurance stuff has taken a toll on the speed! I might turn up the heat in the room too... sorta get that desert ambiance thing going...

Dave

I had such a lousy running week last week I couldnt bring myself to post. Undecided I capped off an 11 mile week by skipping my Sunday long run. Fortunately, I got in 6 yesterday and 8 more today with work and weather more cooperative. Hard to party with an impressionable 9 year old in the house... Easy miles... Dave

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Mr. I you put the date for last week through the 4th so we've all been posting there today. Although I think it's only a couple posts. So still a vegetarian? How is it working for you? I think if you felt beat up then you probably did the right thing!
                  I feel like I showed up for a party at 2135 Maple lane while everyone was at the real party at 2137 Maple lane. Still a vegetarian, it's working pretty good. I've had meat maybe twice since I started and fish 2, maybe 3 times. Meat doesn't really agree with me anymore. I always have that heavy, dense feeling in my gut when I indulge. I think I'm done with that. Most likely I'll still have suhi 2-4x per year, but that's probably about it. There was a fat Tuesday thing at DD's school, basically donuts and bagels with the parents. Took a half day, had a bagel with DD at her school for about a half hour, hit the Y, did 4 mile recovery run, hung out in the sauna and whirlpool for a bit, showered, ate and came in for a half day at work. Life is good.

Bugs

P2R A running friend at the Y asked me about running Des Moines Marathon with her. Said I could drive with them, share hotel, the whole works. No husbands to deal with. Smile Will think about it, I feel like I'm pushing my luck if I start thinking too hard about it. Erika - Fills up in about a week. Are you thinking about getting in all 50 states?

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

Erica - I know a nice cheap place if you need to come to the Philadelphia area!!! Big grin Mr. I - glad to hear it is going well for you!! I just couldn't hack it. Back to mostly fish and some chicken. Dave - don't be ashamed to post!!! Maybe we could have given you some good motivation! Plus didn't you say you were ultra busy with work? Those weeks happen! Murphy - I think that is still more than me. Our bach party is this saturday and I'm driving us. Last time I asked DF to drive so I could drink with my friends I had 3 drinks over 4 hours with a water in between each one. And I forced the last one because I didn't want DF to be upset that I didn't actually need him to not drink! So, there is a pain. I'm not sure if it's a real pain or just a still pissed off pain. It's outside my knee. And the foot went numb. Only did 4.7mi. Had 7 on the docket, but garmin died and I wasn't really sure how far i'd gone and then there was the whole pain thing. It wasn't like a sharp pain or anything. My stride didn't change. And when I called on Bugs Zen-ness the pain was lessened (seriously!) It was more like "hey what the hell are you doing to me" pain. So now as I type this I have an ice pack strapped to me. -- i'm kinda freakin out!
                      Cashmason

Numb feet and sore knees are not to be messed with. Muscle pain you can run through and it will heal in a few days. Numbness may just be shoes tied too tight or cold weather, or nerve damage. Knees are usually ligaments, tendons or fascia. None of those heal quickly. So best to stop right away so less damage is done, so you heal faster. 4.73 miles running to the voting booth and back today. Ack running 2 out of 3 days. They are gonna revoke my triathlon credentials and make me a runner yet.

Oh Mighty Wing

My foot actually felt like they were sliding around in my shoes. I did retie them because I noticed they were really loose at the bottom and tight in the top middle. Once I retied them the numbness went away. So i think that was the foot problem. I'm a sad panda Cry Talked to my best friend who is a PT. She said ITBS - no running for 2 weeks!!!!!!!!!!! damn me and my nieveness... she also said no may marathon I must increase mileage like a normal person... We (DF and I ) were talking about taking a long weekend this summer to head north... maybe I can find a mary up to include in that long weekend???
                            Not really North..but you could consider the USAFM in lovely Dayton, OH. Wouldnt be a bad first time marathon. Very well run..awesome themed water stops. And a General hands you your metal after running under a bunch of WW2 era planes. And you can look for UFOs on the base. But the best part is I'd run with you..until I turn off for my planned half. Or maybe I could be coerced into the full. Its Sept 20. I would get a second opinion and see a doc if you stil have pain. Oh--I ran my 3 miles. My legs felt very heavy today. A shame because it was 58 degrees and the rain let up. I had considered going longer distance but that idea quickly faded. I did trip and fall this morning in my bedroom-banged my knee and scraped my arm. Luckily there seemed to be no lingering affects of that mishap.
                            Travis Groom

Boring 30 minute recovery run Monday. Today, a quick, tempo 6k. Felt so great to run in a short sleeved shirt and light pants. It was -4ºC/24ºF and I was stripping off hats and gloves midway through the run. (I naturally run very hot...it's entertaining to everyone to be around me when I am done with a hard run because I actually steam like a smokestack...I blame the red hair!) Oh how I long for the days of clear cement/asphalt/tarmac that is not covered in slippery snow and ice... Evan - -45?! Ouch ouch ouch! Good on ya for getting out there and running though!
                              Cashmason

Ya outside of the knee is often ITBS. Don't mess with it. Last time it had me off for 4 months. Solitude on Kickrunners hasnt been able to run for 17 months because of ITBS. Rest it and treat it now. When it gets bad it feels like someone is stabbing your knee with a red hot ice pick every step. It hurts like heck to walk down stairs or down hill. Uphill is not so bad. You can lessen the pain by locking your kneecap and walking stiff legged. Running will make you feel like there is no strength in the knee and it feels like the leg will collapse at any moment. After the 4.7 mile run this am, did an hour spin class this afternoon followed by 1000 yards swimming.