Marathon Trainers

Week of 02/03-02/10 (Read 262 times)

Bugs

groove, wow 3 times a week, bet that gets expensive, but massage keeps your soft tissue healthy so it's worth it. The mall here has a little kiosk, china guy does mostly 10 minute back and shoulders, but does my lower legs. I stop in there for a quickie. Brian, enjoy that 16 miler. Sometimes I think that distance for the first time is harder than 18 or 20. 10 miles, lovely weather, nice smooth pace, until mile 8. Two uncomfortable pit stops, quick dove into the trees and hoped no one would drive by. Then fuel belt kept falling off, what a PITA. Doesn't fit right over my winter clothes. I boogied from the run right to my graston appointment. Which is like getting a deep massage after a run, felt good. I'm just so happy to be running healthy. Told Doc I think that my ankles are not very stable, and I wabble my foot a little after toe off. Suppose to do balance exercises. Lots of yoga in my future. I'm going to the cities tomorrow to go to TWO running stores to get my stride/shoe needs analyzed. Guess what I had to do to talk DH into this?

Bugs

Pace, thanks for the link, I'll check it out. Got my 16 in this morning. It was about 38 degrees with no wind at 5:30, couldn't ask for much better. I felt great and was surprised at how my pace increased without even trying toward the end. My legs are a little sore and I tossed a couple of bags of frozen peas on the knees for a while, but I really can't complain. Have a great weekend! -Brian

Happy Camper

Nice 20.4-miler this morning running with the group. Cold front has yet to arrive so temps and wind were ideal. Hit the 1/2M at 1:53 and finished out the run in 3:03. Nice MP pace run with lots of hills thrown in. It's supposed to be single digit temps tomorrow morning and I would like to get out for another long-run. Ultra Running nerves and madness are taking hold. Berryman isn't until mid-May and I am stressing about it already. I am so ready for spring temperatures.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

The plural of Moose is "Meese", "Moosen" is also acceptable. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ihM43S6QDQ Husker-great run!! Its nice when you get those runs where you feel fresh and strong at the end. P2R...Think you'll be in great shape for ypur ultra.. Had one of those great runs this morning..7 mile pace run in 1:09:00. Surprised myself with some laps in the 9:15 to 9:30 range. On top of this it was extremely windy. Slowest miles were 10:15 and those were the first mile and on the bad ass hill. Tomorrow will be tough. Windy and cold. Wasnt so cold this morning. But, my new shoes are in. I'll pick them up tomorrow before or after the long run--its a step back week--so its only 9 miles. But with 40 on the schedule for next week, they will be very welcome. Lets start the new thread tomorrow and it should be Feb 10-16 Big grin
          Cashmason

Pace and Husker, Nice long runs, especially in those temps. Bugs, what I would guess you had to do, probably shouldn't be written here. This will be the only time this century I will show some common sense and not say what I think. 31 mile ride with the tri club this morning. Then bought a new swim mask, hopefully this one won't leak as much. Erika must be frozen, and can't post.

Bugs

Cash, Get your mind out of the gutter, I had to agree to listen to his country music station. God help me. Think Erika is out giving that moose an attitude adjustment. Brain, Great work. P2R, Impressive times! Good work. Interval work at biking class today. My legs were all ready tired and now they feel like lead. Blowing snow kept me home today, no running shoe shopping in the cities, dang it.

Bugs

Cashmason

I am a guy. My mind is in the gutter most of the time. 1100 yards swimming tonight. New swim mask worked reallly well. One more excuse for being a crappy swimmer down the drain. Should help with next week's race though.
                evanflein

I am a guy. My mind is in the gutter most of the time.
                  Good Lord ain't that the truth. I've been meaning to talk to you about that... I didn't post yesterday cuz I had nothing really to report. Didn't run, was going to try to make up for missing Monday's cross training but that didn't happen. DH and I went out after dinner to what was called "The Man Show," and OMG how stoopid was that. Bunch of guys hanging around, signing up for chainsaws and rifles... I think DH agreed with me when I flashed him the Get. Me. Out. Of. Here... NOW look. We went out for a glass of wine and talking, then home. Not a bad night I guess... but no running. So... got up this morning and it was clear and sunny (well, after the sun came up of course) and when I went into town it was only -18 at the coldest spot. It was about -12 or so up here and so beautiful, I had to go out for a run. The bike path is in pretty crummy condition though, and I didn't want to "go" anywhere to run so did my 5k loop of the hilly road by my house... two and a half times for 8.27 miles. One really steep hill I go over and back, and the rest is rolling hills. Nice run, but my legs felt like jello when I was done! I hope this weather holds cuz I want to do 17 or so tomorrow...
                  Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Bugs – Congrats on getting healthy. Nice to see you running at 100%; I know you can get a bit wiggy when you’re not able to run. Oh, and I was gonna guess the same thing Cash guessed. Did you have to listen to country music even though you couldn’t shop? Pace – I’m thinking with the absurd amount of mileage you put in you’ll be well prepped for your ultra. Try not to start freaking out till 4 weeks prior. Murphy – way to go on today’s run. Good luck tomorrow, sounds like the weather’s gonna be a challenge for you. HuskerB – nice job on the 16 miler – pretty sweet that the weather cooperated. I did 14 somewhat tough miles today – OUTSIDE for a change. It was a point to point course. We loaded up the dogs in the car and drove them to s spot in the metroparks about 12 miles from home, walked them for a bit then the family drove home and I ran. It was mid 30s and I wore shorts and a light running jacket. For most of the first half I had a mild to stiff tail wind which was nice. The I had some medium sized hills and a pretty large hill as I came out of the park (it’s in a valley). At mile 7 my left calf was “on edge” and felt like it was going to cramp any second. Plus my right hip flexor started to hurt; I think it’s time for new shoes. I’ve got over 400 miles on these. Anyway, after the climb out of the valley, I ran right into 20-25 MPH headwind for 2 miles, then turned around and had it at my back for a good chunk of the last few miles. All in all a really good run. I got outside for a change, and it was during daylight hours which I haven’t run in quite some time. Heading out of town for Business for a few days. Getting my runs in should be no problem, but I’ll be hit or miss for posting. Team BLISTER has my vote.
                    Cashmason

Good job Mr I. 14 miles when your calf is hurting at mile 7 is quite the run. Talked to a massage therapist at the Surf City meet, and she said runners usually have problems with their calves which lead to foot, ankle and knee problems and glute problems that lead to hip and knee problems.
                      Travis Groom

No run on Friday. My day off! YAY!! Wussed out of the morning workout today. It was -45ºC/-49ºF outside with the wind chill. And was up way to late with my trainer playing with motorcycles waiting for the snow to melt. Some other brave souls ran this morning, I did not. Went to the track and ran in circles for way to long. Amazing what a difference a flat, even non slippery surface makes. Ran my usual 2.35k hard almost 2 minutes less (12:30 vs 11:16.) Run felt awesome and hard. Still sore from Wednesdays workout. >.< doesn't="" help="" when="" your="" trainer="" spends="" all="" night="" poking="" your="" quads="" either...bastard.="" bugs:="" every="" 3="" weeks,="" not="" 3="" times="" a="" week.="" that="" would="" be="" insane!="" $210/week="" on="" massages.="" heh.="" thought="" this="" was="" funny="" when="" i="" plugged="" in="" my="" garmin="" to="" get="" my="" lap="" times...="" /> Apparently my Garmin thinks that I was running circles in the river.

Bugs

Bugs – I know you can get a bit wiggy when you’re not able to run.
                          Me get wiggy? Tongue Guys us woman are one step of ahead of you all the time. I warmed up to him real nice before I suggested the shoe shopping trip.

Bugs

Bugs

Still sore from Wednesdays workout. >.< doesn't="" help="" when="" your="" trainer="" spends="" all="" night="" poking="" your="" quads="" either...bastard.="" bugs:="" every="" 3="" weeks,="" not="" 3="" times="" a="" week.="" that="" would="" be="" insane!="" $210/week="" on="" massages.="" heh.="" />
                            Was wondering how you fit the time for that many massages. I can get a 10 minute at the mall for $10 or a 30 minute at the massage school for $23. The massage school is connected to work, so can do it on my lunch hour. But doc says massage, graston, etc.. is all soft tissue therapy and there is a fine line between healing and overdoing so right now I just do what he says, because you guys all know I tend to go overboard in everything I do. Groov, you have a trainer? Hope it was a she poking your quads. Clowning around

Bugs

Travis Groom

I am very fortunate to have met the people that I run with. My trainer was the teacher of the first clinic with The Running Room I went to for the Vegas Half-Marathon. We became pretty good friends, and now he trains me on the side. watching my workouts, making recommendations, giving advice and adjusting my workouts. He's a great runner (ran Vegas full marathon in 3:30 with problems where he walked 4k of it.) He is trained by Matt, who runs a 2:20 marathon. So I run with them on Saturday (but not near their pace) and they give me advice and yell at me. It works out very well and they're all great people. With my support system, I feel I can qualify for Boston before I am 35 (5 years). Here's hoping. They are very inspiring people and make me want to be a better runner. Light 19k run today. Cold wasn't bad until the field back and the wind kicked in dropping it to about -35ºC. I think today was the closest I have gotten to frostbite. My neck was stinging and feeling like it was on fire. It was so cold, my jacket froze in position and when I took it off, and the inside was coated in ice. No overtraining Bugs! It's baaaaaad! (But I am in the same boat as you, takes a lot to make me pull back.)
                              Cashmason

10.44 mile trail run today. With g/f at her pace. Grade Average (%) Maximum (%) Overall Grade 0.0 -- Ascent Grade 7.2 28.0 Descent Grade -6.9 -27.2 Relevant Data Start Elevation (ft): 902 Finish Elevation (ft): 906 Min. Elevation (ft): 861 Max. Elevation (ft): 2,027 69 degrees at the end. Started at 45 degrees.