Marathon Trainers

Week of 3/10 - 3/16 (Read 226 times)

Bugs

Erika, Great run. You are tough girl. I hope you do not think I'm a slacker with this cold. I know most colds you can run through but I could not get this out of my chest. I wish I had went to the sauna, I didn't think of that, something you might want to try. Most days I have had a fever and get dizzy just walking. I was dizzy at noon today so I walked. Then after work I ran/walk. Tonight I got on the TM, and struggled getting to 3 miles and decided mentally I needed to get to half my race, 5 miles. I admit I feel better now than I have in over a week. Shan, I didn't realize your injury was ITB. I missed that. 30 mins - that's good news. Murhpy, Don't worry, you guys aren't going to get rid of me that easily. Tonight, running down to the TM I stepped in soaking wet carpet. Our sump-pump had stopped. There was water in the furnance room, and in one hallway only...yuck.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

Bugs - it isn't. it's just that the IT is affected by it. My lower leg can move side to side independent from the top of my leg. Because of that all the things that connect at/around my knee are stressed. My IT band is one of those things and it experience more friction at the connection point then some of the others because as my knee is moving to the side it rubs the band. SO throughout this whole process my IT band and my quads have been pretty tight. and ooowww sorry to hear about the sump. My mom's basement use to be so bad that we added a second pump. Course when they stop I guess it wouldn't matter how many pumps you have!
        Shan - Congrats on getting back out there. (knock on wood) I haven't had anything that made me stop for too long. Does basketball count as a fartlek workout? I was about to do a 6-miler last night when I got a call to play. 2 hours has to count for something, other than the sore muscles this morning. Oh well, it was a good time and I'll get back to pounding the pavement today. Hope everyone has good runs and a great weekend. Brian

Oh Mighty Wing

Husker - more like a sprint workout?? Either way it sounds like you had fun and that's what counts!!

Bugs

Brian, YES it does. Just becareful easy to get hurt in those sudden stop/start sports when training for another sport. Shan, I understand how one injury affects the other areas perfectly. It's the reason I've had so many aches and pains and leave people thinking that I am a real mess. We do have two sump pumps. The carpet was still soggy this morning, I don't have the energy to worry about it. Think I over did it yesterday. Not coughing, and cold is better but I feel lifeless. May leave work early for a nap. The kids and DH are all at home sick.

Bugs

Dave

Brian, I'd count it as at least a Fartlek, more like an interval or sprint workout like Shan mentioned. No matter how good of running shape I'm in, basketball always winds me. I did about 9 1/2 today in beautiful weather on the national mall (basically hit every monument, Lincoln, WWII, white house, Washington, Capitol, Supreme Court, Smithsonian, Jefferson). Sort of another progression run. Legs are sore and it left me feeling sort of run down. Might just be the end of the work week. Hope you feel better soon, Bugs. Only thing worse than being sick is having a sick family and it sounds like you've got both.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Bugs - funny i didn't understand why you seemed such a mess until this happened for me. In my mind I didn't get that all your aches were related!! But not I get it!!! Glad your cold is better although sucks to have that lifeless feeling! Maybe you need a rest day - complete with naps and hot totties! Dave - that sounds like a fun run!! when i was younger i was convinced I wanted to live in DC just so I could stand on the lawn every day... now i just try to make it down there every two years or so! 30 minutes today! yeah! took it slow and steady - felt good!

Bugs

Bugs - funny i didn't understand why you seemed such a mess until this happened for me. In my mind I didn't get that all your aches were related!! But not I get it!!! Glad your cold is better although sucks to have that lifeless feeling! Maybe you need a rest day - complete with naps and hot totties!
                  Big grin Shan, you made me laugh. YES that's why I've had so many problems; kinetics. Dam orthotics... Dgb, very cool run...I didn't realize you lived in DC? Been there once, holy crap for humidity...don't get a perm if you live there. Went home after lunch and slept all afternoon, some tummy troubles today, but I feel pretty good tonight. Feel like I would have tried to run long tomorrow even if it was no race, but don't know I feel up to running all out. Just hope to feel OK tomorrow morning and not get lost driving up to the race. Even managed to pick-up the house a little tonight. Found my favorite running glove that I thought was gone forever. Anyone have any great ideas on how to dry out my basement?

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

Bugs - glad I made you laugh! haha As for the basement - fans. Move anything off the carpet that you can. If you can roll over pieces of the carpet that's what we use to do - focus a box fan on it and let the underside dry. But if you can't do that easily then just get fans down there moving the air around. That will help it dry the quickest - that we ever found. hope you are feeling better today!! and yes DC and the surrounding like where I am in PA are very humid! I'm about 2.5 hours from there.

Dave

I actually live about 30 minutes south but I work close to the mall. Commute ranges from 45 minutes to 2 hours each way (usually right at an hour). I had to go far enough south to afford a bit nicer house. Its pretty safe to say I won't be getting a perm any time soon Wink Humidity will start kicking up usually in July/August. Spring and fall are gorgeous and the cherry blossoms are just starting to bloom. Once they do, I'll have to reroute my runs away from the tidal basin. Impossible to navigate the tourists.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Happy Camper

After 3 days, the stomach flu I've had is getting better. Had rain and 37F this morning for our St. Patricks Day 5k. This year was chipped timed and on a USTAF Certified course. Self timed splits were 7:26, 7:22, 7:31 and :55. Self timed was 23:15. Don't know how the chip timing works. Wire was in the bib. I had entered the chute and turned the garmin off when they scanned the bib. Don't know if the hand scan was a back up or if that's when the official time was recorded. Ran this race on a slightly different course last year in 25:42. I was hoping to go sub 23. Still improved from the 23:51 I ran in February. I'm just glad to be feeling better. Into the second day of this I had lost 8 pounds. Next weekend is a 1/2M. I'm now 3 weeks out from Marathon.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Happy Camper

Got to love chip timing. Results are up already. Race finished before the chute. Official time was 22:38. PR by 2 seconds. Garmin measured the course at 3.13 miles. Makes me doubt Garmin now. USTAF calls for 3 consistant measurements on bike of the shortest possible way to run the course. I'll take it. Don't know if knowing where the finish line was would have helped or hurt this close to my best effort ever. It could have been marked and I was focused on hitting the chute. I ran without my glasses due to the rain.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Looks like everyone ran a 5k today. Mine was interesting, first and 3rd miles are fairly flat (out and back), but the 2nd mile is crazy uphill for half, then crazy downhill after the turn. I also started too far back, or lots of other people started too far up. North wind about 20 mph, which was in our face on the way out. So, the last half was really nice, considering it started downhill and had a nice wind at the back the whole time. 8:02, 7:29, 7:09, 0:46 for a 23:27 on my watch. No chips for this race. I started a little too slow, partly my fault, partly the traffic, but it helped once I got to the hill. I probably left 30 seconds out there, but considering I'm more focused on the May marathon, didn't want to really go after this one. I ran my first race last year at this one and did it in 28:30. Now, if only I can drop 5 more minutes this year! Right . . . Hope everyone gets to feeling better, flu season has to be almost over. -Brian

Dave

Great PR, Pace, even if it was only by .02. More than 2 minutes improvement in the 5K year over year is a beautiful thing. I've never run one where the bib had the chip in it. Always shoe chips. Modified to add (since Brian posted while I was writing): Great job Brian! Always nice to see 5 minute PR's at any distance. Its possible that the next five will be a bit more difficult Wink

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Pace and Husker - nice RR!! Sounds like you guys had good runs today!