Marathon Trainers

Week of 6/15 (Read 307 times)

Bugs

Erika,

I am a big believer in pool running too. I just wasn't sure what to do or not do. So many people said not to work the legs when the legs are hurt.  It really sucks when your hamstrings, quads, and ITB are all hurt. Two years ago is when I hurt my feet for this same marathon and I'd take that instead of this any day. What I've got is like tendonities but it is in the muscle too. Everybody was telling me to just rest, except the chiropractor. Not doing anything just leaves me tight. I would like to finish but am not going to kill myself to get there. No free beer and ice cream unless you finish.

My DH was excited that I was going to toe the line because now we won't start the P90X program for a few weeks. Whimp Smile 

Bugs

Good luck at Grandma's Bugs!! Hope to hear whatever is going on leaves ya alone enough so that you can finish it for the free beer!

As far as cross training, dh and I were SUPPOSED to start back yesterday however crisis at his work kept that from happening.

7 miles done this morning and looking to get back out in an hour or so for my second run. Not sure how long I'll go. I guess I'll let the legs do the running lol

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Bugs

Pam,

Trust me I will find beer no matter what.  This whole thing isn't ideal, but I think I'll feel better in the end for trying. The entry fee is paid, and the scenery is going to be awesome.

Bugs

Happy Camper

Bugs:  Have a great race!

4-mile test run for me this morning.  Yes, I'm still jacked up.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Kimmie

Hey!

I meant to post this earlier, but ended up just quoting Paul instead?  Thats weird.

Anyway- my clinic went great!!!   I knew that I could talk about running for 45 minutes!! Smile   I focused in on motivational tips, stretching, and strength training to supplement running.  There was so much more I wanted to cover, but I just ran out of time.  I really enjoyed it and had 10 people there who were all very appreciative.  So, hopefully, I get new clients out of it, we'll see.  If not, I was glad to have the opportunity to put something like this together.

Bugs-  yay on running Grandmas!!!   You sound like you have the total right attitude going into it.  You may even surprise yourself.  Let us know ASAP how it goes for you.  I remember that free beer at the end.  so fun.

What Kimmie said Bugs!!

Sorry to hear your still jacked up Bryan Sad that bites!

Glad to hear your clinic went well Kimmie!

Got 2nd run of the day in and WOOT it felt GREAT! I'm really loven the cooler weather we're having. Course tomorrow is the twins last "day"  so doubles are done until they start day camp in a couple weeks. One thing I LOVE about summer is I get to run in the evening! LOVE IT!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Sorry, Bryan (p2r, right?).  Hope you get past this soon.

Bugs, glad to hear you get to run your race, even if the training isn't where you wanted to be right now.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Bugs

Thanks guys. I know I've been a little out of my mind. Never ever did I guess things could fall apart so badly. This was suppose to be a less is more plan. I still have a lot to think about before I'm ready to train for the next marathon. But until then the extra time with the family has been wonderful. Nice to have energy to get some projects done around the house. I'm enjoying the XTing. I took kickboxing last night and loved it. I know these forums are famous for "Run More" plans, but I do so much better with some XTing that builds strength in the legs.

I will certainly post after the race--ops not a race  marathon , but I'll go back into recovery - vacation - XTing mode.

Bugs

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Lovely weather tonight -- breezy and beautiful. Couldn't resist going for an evening run.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Good morning!  Cooler and a bit breezy this morning, still I was able to work up a sweat.  I am not sure what I did differently this morning to get my walking speed faster, but the balance is to get my HR up and not irritate the nerve further.

3.9 miles, 45:59, 11:48/mi, AHR 133 (68% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Kimmie

Lou,

I can't believe you can walk this fast.  I want to see a video of you doing it.  Smile  Do you swing your arms a lot?  This makes me want to go out and just see if I can walk this pace, I'm thinking that I can't.

I walked with a friend of mine who is a fast walker and it was bugging me to try to go that fast, so I just started jogging.  So there she is, walking real fast, and I'm next to her jogging slowly.  Then, I just took off.  

Good for you on keeping up with the cross training.

I'm getting a good reminder of the fact that my children are more important than my running...    My DH is out of town and my DD1 is sick today.  She's not that sick, but it was enough for me to keep her home from school, and to not think getting a babysitter is a good idea.  I didn't run yesterday either as the day got busy.  So, 2 unintentional days off in a row.  I need to get on track if I want to run Steamtown with Pam!  She's getting 2 runs a day in, and I'm getting none.  Time to save up $$ for a basement treadmill, I think.

Bugs, when do you leave for Duluth?  Grandmas doesn't have tracking, does it?

Cashmason

Good luck Bugs !
                          AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I think Grandma's does have tracking.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Bugs

Kim,

Your class sounds awesome.

Grandmas has pretty good tracking. You can sign-up to have your cell phone text you results. Really..I will be happy just to finish. A run like Fargo would be good, but if it's five hours so be it. Each of these runs seems to be their own individual experience I have no doubt this one will too. We leave Friday. I have so many friends running it will be like a two day party. I usually buy the marathon poster to hang in my exercise room. I kind of feel like I ran my butt off and earned my dam poster. Is it okay to buy/hang the poster if you have to drop out?

Bugs

Kimmie

I say hang the poster no matter what.    You know, I wanted to drop out of New York so bad, it wasn't even funny... it was a hot day and I didn't know it at the time, but I had been struggling with anemia.  So, I just felt super sluggish and like I had no desire to finish at all.  I remember kind of stumbling over to a water station and asking a volunteer ( mile 19) - how do you quit?  like, what do you do... just tell someone and they come and get you?  The volunteer didn't know and I was like, ugh- forget it!!   I stumbled ahead and found my family and then found the will to continue.   I know that if that volunteer had known the right answer, I would have stopped.  I was done.  All that to say, that yes, each marathon is a unique experience.    Out of my 7 marathons, I can honestly say that only 4 were good experiences.  I guess that's not too bad.

So, go have fun with it... try not to think about dropping out- but be smart if you need to for the welfare of your legs.  Remember that your DR. gave you the go ahead.

OK, how crazy is this?  I'm at home with my daughter who is a little  under the weather, so I thought- no run for me.  But, I actually think I may run up and down our stairs.  I desperately need something like a run.  AH!