Marathon Trainers

Week of 6/15 (Read 307 times)

evanflein

You go, Bugs. Have fun, don't push it, enjoy your time with friends and worry about the diet next week.

Hope your daughter is feeling better, Kimmie! Having a sick child for that long has got to be emotionally hard on you, too. You never want to see your kid feel bad... Yes, a treadmill would be nice for times like that. How old is she?

Good work on securing the alone time, Dave. We're very lucky to have grandparents close by, they were so important for helping keep sanity afloat when my kids were little! Now my boys go work for my dad. Kind of fun. Having them here is definitely one of the things that keeps US here, probably longer than DH would like.

I think this is a rest day. Didn't really want it to be, but probably good for me anyway. I have errands to run at lunchtime and soccer games (one at 6, one at 8) tonight and I don't know when or where we'll catch dinner. Probably Subway.

10k race tomorrow night, starting at 10 pm. This will be a "participation" event, not a "race" for me.

Kimmie

Thanks Erika,  She's 8.  I actually took her to school for the last hour and a half today so she could say goodbye to her friends and teacher.  She's not contagious... a sore throat and tired.  I do want to get a treadmill... I had one before but a cheap one... time to save for a nice one.

A race at 10 pm sounds bizarre to me... but fun!  And lucky for you to have parents close by.  Mine live 10 hours away in Georgia.  I'm hoping for a couple of longer runs this weekend to make up for all of this time away.

Got 7.5 in this afternoon and I felt great.... varied the pace some here and there.

Sorry to hear about your gout flare up Dave!!

Awwww Kimmie I hope your DD gets better ASAP! I hate it when kids are sick Sad I don't know about you but I always feel so helpless. Anyway good luck at the doctors!

Thanks Perry though looks like a reboot of the system was all that firefox needed.

I soooooooooo wish we had your daylight Erika! It's not like my kids don't already have foil on their windows (blankets from race lol) With kids out of school there will be alot of after 7pm runs and on some days I'd like to run more than an hour and a half.

Good luck tomorrow Bugs! Wish you we're feeling better about things! Enjoy your after marathon beer!

As for me, another evening run on schedule. Not sure how far I'll go, guess however far my legs feel like doing lol

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Off for evening mow + run. Drinking of ice water forecast at some point.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Bugs

Erika,

It is clear we have been online friends for a long time, because I was thinking yesterday "Isn't this the weekend Erika usually runs that night race." I knew it was the same weekend as Mayor's marathon. Smile

Kim,

Hope your daughter is better soon.

The race weather went from cool back to warm-hot. High of 80F. I guess it really doesn't matter. My doctor is running, teased him he better have brought his bag with. Funny him and my graston doc (same clinic) talked, and my graston doc told him he thought I could make it. We'll see. I'm starting with friends in the 4:30 group. No watch, just running. The view of the lake starts at mile four, and goes till about mile 19, with trees occasionally blocking the view but providing some shade. Then the end you start seeing some of the big big ships docked. I think I picked an excellent marathon to jog.

I bought a cool sports bra at the expo,  it got a zip pocket in the front. Now why didn't under armor think of that.  I DID buy a poster. $20 - sucker.  I got a free one of Ryan Hall.

Gotta go. We have a room reserved at a nice restaurant looking over lake superior for about eight runners and spouses. Should be a fun night.

Bugs

evanflein

Bugs, that's funny. And I even though for a second last night about flying down to Anchorage to do that marathon, then doing the 10k that night. Some friends of mine did that last year and it was pretty crazy (they just jogged the 10k). Then I came to my senses and decided not to.

Have fun this weekend!

Dave - Sorry you're not feeling well.

Bugs - have a great time no matter what.  I guess guys get epidurals, too, just for different reasons.  They pumped some steroids around the nerve which has been bothering me.  I think it might be helping but I'm not sure yet.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Bugs

Pre-race dinner was a blast. Think it would have been hard to be a good sport about it if I wasn't running. Lots of group pictures of "the runners". Much better this way. Running with two girls, one is bringing small video camera. Should be a hoot! Good night, early morning tomorrow.

Bugs

Cashmason

62 miles riding today,  with my friend Abbie.  Can,t believe she rode that far with a stress fracture in her foot ( 3rd metatarsal.)

Plan had been to ride 5 hours.   Gave up at 4 since her foot started to hurt, and she has a half ironman coming up in a month.

theyapper

On the road again...

Last run before I head north to VA for a week, so I don't know how much I'll be able to check the forums until I get back.  Very hot and humid 7.25 miles this morning.  Glad it's done. 

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Have a good trip, yapper!  Where in VA are you headed?

Erika - good luck on your 10K.  That'll be a good tuneup for Seattle.

I decided to walk without the 3# dumbells this morning -- they're a pain as they make my hands a bit numb, and it's hard to deal with my sweat rag.  Anyhow, I wanted to see if they were affecting my stats in any way.  I was able to go a bit faster without them, and at about the same heartrate, so they're history.

4.1 miles, 46:27, 11:22/mi, AHR 143 (73% MHR)

Hey, Dave - I am the webmaster for the local homebrew club.  One of the member of the club noticed the web site was down and told me, so I contacted the guy who owns the web hosting service, another member.  He told me that one of their switches went tango-uniform, and fixed the problem.  When I asked him what tango-uniform means he said it was a military term.  Can you shed any light on this?

Dave

He told me that one of their switches went tango-uniform, and fixed the problem.  When I asked him what tango-uniform means he said it was a military term.  Can you shed any light on this?

Ahh... The old tango-uniform.  Yep. Good military term.

Tango and uniform both the phonetic prounciations for the letters T and U.  Basically means something is broken.  Tits up.

Not getting much running in while stuck in the Kansas City Airport.  Flight was supposed to leave 5:30 yesterday. Original flight cancelled.  Rerouted through the disaster hat was Chicago.  Stayed in an airport hotel.  Rebooked at 11AM.  Now delayed until 2PM.  Its going to kill the whole day (probably won't get home until 7PM).  Ugh.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Kimmie

Hey you all!

Just got email update that Bugs finished in 4:41!!!  don't know if that's chip time or gun.... Can't wait to hear the details, I bet she had fun.  It looked like her splits were very even.  No crashing and burning, from what I can tell.  If it was as humid up there as it is here, then they had a hell of a time in that marathon.  Hopefully it was a bit cooler there.

Actually ran at noon today with a friend.... noon... it was 95 degrees and 75% humidity... I had to check because I couldn't remember the last time I sweated so much.  I ended up with a little over 8 miles... ugh!!!   I hope my iron levels are not low, because I was dying during that run... had to walk some.  I also took a body pump class before hand.  Not the smartest move i've ever made.  So....   it's done and long run tomorrow morning.  I'm rethinking Steamtown..... just because I needed to be at a higher weekly mileage at this point and it's not looking good until swim team is done.

Sorry you're stuck in the airport, Dave.  That stinks.

Lou- how much longer on cross training?

Thanks for the Bugs update, Kim!  Bugs - glad you finished, and the time wasn't bad at all!  I know it was slower than you wanted to run originally, but you made the best of it.  I hope you had a great time!

Kim - I'm going to walk through next Sunday, then start running the following week.  Thanks for asking.

Bugs

I am shocked an embarrased to say that was HARD. The first 16 miles were okay. I had some injury issues with my knees and quads that kept me slow. It was hot, but I do okay in the heat, and had ran 3:58 in just as bad conditions two years ago. It was the not runing for so many weeks that was the bigger factor. I'm not sure that it is loss of fitnes, or just too much of a jump for the muscles and they tightened up. I'm thinking the later.   I had a good time, but boy running a 4:41 is humbing. Would it have been more 'sensible' to plan to drop out at mile 16 no matter what, sure, but I was glad to be at the finish with friends. I drank some beer at mile 21 to be funny. Boy the frat boys love it when you they get a taker.

Bugs