Marathon Trainers

week of 9/14 (Read 290 times)

Pam i'm not looking for training advice. I have that. I'm looking for race day advice as I've never raced a 5k before. Oh and yes, I would say those shoes weren't for you! Glad you figured it out without too much discomfort!

Also, Moms and Dads, please understand I appriciate all your comments about my summer running and how many of you think I was hurting myself, doing to much, blah blah blah... can we agree to never speak of my summer again? It's not any of you, it's me, everytime something I construe as negative is said it makes me want to scream and not come back. So can we never mention my summer again? Thanks.

Well like I said Don't go out too fast lol. 

Anyway as for the second paragraph. Can't speak for anyone else though I'm sure it's true on all the accounts that I know of, nothing said was ment to be negative! More like constructive critisism. I have no problem not mentioning it again if that's what you want, just remember I don't believe in blowing sunshine up people's a$$. I call it as I see it with no ill meant!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

I think Pam was saying for the race not to go out too fast.  I think that means figure your target time, and run negative splits.  Sounds like good advice.

I don't have access to the details of my PR 5k here at work, but I'm pretty sure my last mile was the fastest.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Good words

I know you don't mean ill will. I'm being sensitive... I realize that... And thanks.

Oh Mighty Wing

I think Pam was saying for the race not to go out too fast.  I think that means figure your target time, and run negative splits.  Sounds like good advice.

I don't have access to the details of my PR 5k here at work, but I'm pretty sure my last mile was the fastest.

yes that's what she meant - and I'm going to try really hard not to LOL

evanflein

Shan, never meant much as criticism, just advice and mostly: concern! But like I said, not gonna harp on it. Let's look forward. As for advice on a 5k, can't do it. I hate 5k's and don't do well with them. Good thing I only "have" to run 1 a year, but I know I should do more. They're supposed to be great for testing your fitness.

Watch that knee, Pam.

Not sure what to do today... recovery run at lunch? Pool run after work? Both?? Hmmm, will have to think about it.

As long as I stay OUT of the Kayono's I shouldn't have to worry bout the knee thankfully *knock on wood*

Enjoy whatever you choose to do Erika!

I've opted out of a second run today. I'll be working out with weights tonight so gotta be smart, something I have a hard time doing when I'm feeling so good. Gotta save my energy for hills this week as well as my long run. 

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Kimmie

Good afternoon everyone!!!  

Happy to fit in a weight workout this afternoon and then 6.2 miles of fartlek running.

GOOD afternoon Kimmie!!! Wat to get 2 workouts in today!!

I am sooooooooooooo itchen to workout!  I had thought about doing a second run earlier however I have a problem with doing lots when I'm feeling really good. I figured the smart thing would be to keep it to one run and one weight workout. HOWEVER I'm getting antsy.  Guess I could go fold some more laundry  or maybe give the dog a bath lol  

Oh Mighty Wing

Kimmie- nice workouts!!

Pam - you get that weight workout done yet?

6 for me! yeah! didn't hurt but I really need to stretch well tonight I think. But first... food!!

Happy Camper

Lou,

I'm in the dark too. Gets dark around 7:30-8:00 here. Last night I ran the last hour on a trail in the dark with no headlamp. Worst was a small part of the trail was under construction where I had to step down and up. I slowed down a little but not much for it. Whew...got lucky.

I really suck at planning and am open to advice. I have a goal 10 mile race on the 27th and just now am figuring out a game plan. I've been most just running, I push it on the longer runs but have done no real speed work other than Ragnar and this 5K. I'm butt dead sore today from running both 5K and pushing that 15 mile run, but what should I do Wed & Thursday? What should I run for a long run this weekend? Saturday I'm running a 5K but will run it more as a workout then a race. I'm thinking I can run the 10 mile 8:10-8:20 pace but dam, I probably should run that pace a few times before the 10 mile race. Thoughts?

I'm also doing a trail HM on Oct 17th, and I've ran on a trail once. What key runs should I run on a trail instead of road? Long runs, speed runs? I have to cram it looks like. Sad

Bugs:  Run on the race course  if possible.  For me, trail conditions and footing determine pace more than conditioning.  It's hard to pick it back up after a face-plant and belly slide.  I've also jammed my back before landing hard after stretching a stride on a downhill.  Practise on that trail or a similar one.  Make sure your shoes are up to sticky mud and drain well after water crossings if it's that kind of run.  Also consider gaiters.  On a single track hilly trail with mud, my 20k time is slower than my HM road time.  Like I said, it depends on the day and the trail conditions. 

Shan:  My first and final word on your Summer:  I admire you.  I met Boonsom Hartman after the Heart Of America this year.  It was her 200th Marathon.  She began running them 10 years ago.  My first thought was she must be on the JF schedule.  It is a great accomplishment.  Congratulations. 

9-miles this morning in better conditions.  Spent Sunday in bed.  Threw up twice and slept about 15 hours I think.  I feel much better today.  Think I'll swim laps this evening.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

No *sigh* Dh let me know on his way home my choices. To start at 6:30 and finish by 7 or wait until after dinner and get a full workout in. Well I can't do it half assed so it's after dinner and putting the twins to bed. Dh is grilling dinner (salmon) and both twins are bathed and in jammies and relaxing with me on the couch. And I'm anxiously waiting for 8 to roll in. Katie & Frankie are both tired and ready for bed. We may have to adjust their bedtime to 7:30. I told them I'd give them this full week and then decide.

You know when I have too much energy when I start posting a lot and writing more than a sentence or two lol

Sorry to hear you were sick Pace, but glad you are recovering!

Nice running guys!

Oh Mighty Wing

lol pam i'm sure you are going to have a great workout - and dinner!!! LOL
                            evanflein

So you and DH get grilled salmon after the kids are in bed? What do they get? PBJ?? Man, rough duty for the kids at the rockenmama house...

Did a short 2 mile recovery run on the TM at the gym, then some ab/core work, some of my PT exercises and some stretching. That was a good decision. Now I'm about done with work and heading to the pool for 30 minutes of pool running, then to the store to grab some tamales or something for DS2's Mexican Fiesta at school tomorrow. He called me a few minutes ago with another of his last minute requests. Oh well, I should be ok with it, he called around 4 pm. Usually we get the news at 10 pm or 6 a.m. the day of the event!

So you and DH get grilled salmon after the kids are in bed? What do they get? PBJ?? Man, rough duty for the kids at the rockenmama house...

Did a short 2 mile recovery run on the TM at the gym, then some ab/core work, some of my PT exercises and some stretching. That was a good decision. Now I'm about done with work and heading to the pool for 30 minutes of pool running, then to the store to grab some tamales or something for DS2's Mexican Fiesta at school tomorrow. He called me a few minutes ago with another of his last minute requests. Oh well, I should be ok with it, he called around 4 pm. Usually we get the news at 10 pm or 6 a.m. the day of the event!

LOL NO they weren't in bed. They always get their jammies on after baths which usually happen before dinner. Because Ken gets home so late we usually have dinner between 7 and 7:30. Kids eat what we eat (most of the time) BTW I wish I could get either of the twins to eat PBJ lol (Frankie won't eat bread with ANYTHING on it even butter)