Marathon Trainers

Week of 4/6 (Read 341 times)

Bugs

ok so it's saying rain/snow today, tomorrow should be sunny with a chance of PM showers. My thoughts are to push it off till tomorrow - especially given they had a winter weather advisory till 11am today. darn bad weather - doesn't it know i'm here on vacation!
    I thought you were at a resort surrounded by cabana boys? Are you going to see Cash? You know he's single, that GF of his has got him to pony up a ring so he's fair game unless Erika beat you to him.

Bugs

evanflein

Erika, sorry didn't comment on your 20 earlier. WOW WOW WOW. That's fast. Is that faster than the 20 before last year for Boston? You ran all those marathons last fall and winter, how do you feel in comparison to last year?
      Thanks. Last year's last long run (also 21 miles) was just over 8:32 avg pace, and included about the same number of hills but more ice, so about the same. I recall my first long run was right on 9:00, and they got faster from there. I also did more specific speed work last year because I was training for that Ragnar Relay the end of February. Nothing like mile repeats at 10k PR pace for a few weeks to tune things up! Also, last year I'd done my string of marathons, 6 in 6 months, with the last one being Carlsbad in late January. This year my January marathon was 2 weeks earlier. Not sure what difference that makes, but it seems like a long stretch between races for me (over 3 months). Mechanically I'm not doing so well this year. Nagging metatarsal problems and hip/butt issues (I'm thinking hamstring tendinitis from my self-diagnosis process) are bothering me. I'm hoping a few days of no running or anything will get me set for the race. I typically don't run much the week of a marathon, usually more due to traveling and time issues than any real plan. I've got new shoes that I hope solve the crowded toe problems I was having. Seems like my old ones got too small all of a sudden. Goals for this race? I'm trying not to have many, actually. I'm thinking I'll be good to come away with an 8:30 avg pace, but we'll see. Not going to be a PR race, that much I'm pretty sure of. 5 miles last night along the side of the road, faster than I wanted it to be but I think I just wanted to get it over with.

Oh Mighty Wing

Bugs - no cabana boys... no real guys of any kind Sad hahaha I am trying to figure out if I can get in a visit to Mr. Cash. It might be tricky though and involve lots of driving. Erika - i think sometimes those workouts just happen. MTA: Pam where did your log go?
          It's nice to hear that there are people who can understand that some people need to run to feel better physically THANKS Bugs!! Anyhow got 17 miles in the freezing cold/ with semi heavy winds with snow flurries on and off (mostly on). My RP had orginally wanted 18 miles however we settled for 17 (one mile more than her previous long run).This weather is freaky! Hope everyone is having a great HUMP day!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

my log is where it's always been though only people from my groups can see it. I think you can get to it under reports I believe. If not you can get to it from the YTD page on the 2,000 miles group. Speaking off if the twins weren't going to be home in 10 minutes it's tempting to run 4.5 to get the 1,000 miles today lol

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Oh Mighty Wing

ooohhh is THAT how I useto see it!! LOL I knew I saw it before I just didn't know how.

Dave

I was so inspired by Lou's run this morning that I put in 10.5 @ 8.02 pace. Not really a tempo run though. One mile down around 7:15. Think the knee issue was just too many hard days for me and nothing cures that like a nice medium-long hard run Tongue

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Think the knee issue was just too many hard days for me and nothing cures that like a nice medium-long hard run Tongue
                  and you call your runs easy... Tongue
                  theyapper

On the road again...

7 easy mid-week long miles today. Felt good except for that wind. Dave, I bet that run felt awesome.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Hail to The Victors!

I was so inspired by Lou's run this morning that I put in 10.5 @ 8.02 pace. Not really a tempo run though. One mile down around 7:15. Think the knee issue was just too many hard days for me and nothing cures that like a nice medium-long hard run Tongue
                      Nice. Well done, sir! Sounds like the recovery has gone extremely well! 14.2 easy here. I LOVE THIS WEATHER! Please, no more snow! I'm eyeing a 10K now the week after Glass City(three weeks before Bayshore) It's a very local race, one of the last local races I haven't had a chance to run yet. We'll see how I feel after Glass City, I think.

Dave

and you call your runs easy... Tongue
                        OK, I'll log that one as fartlek. And thanks, Paul. It did feel good. I intentionally ran out against the wind so that I had the tailwind at the turnaround point. Pace work started around mile 5 with an 8:03, then 7:58, 7:15, 7:50, 7:35, and 7:48 for the final full mile. Ended up being sort of a fast finish medium long run. I'm not certain that I'm training very smart right now but I'm running what I feel like running. I suppose some slower miles would help build the endurance piece.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

I say you do what works for you. That's the great thing about running and training - it's all individual. I'm just razzing you because I can.

Dave

I say you do what works for you. That's the great thing about running and training - it's all individual. I'm just razzing you because I can.
                            My feelings are in tact Smile. I was just questioning whether what I'm doing is really working for me. I ran my 10 miles today in right at 1:20. Two years ago, that was faster than my Army 10 miler time and I spent the rest of the afternoon on the couch with the shakes after that race. I know I've improved. But I've got to look at my last race and try and figure out what to do differently if I want to achieve my marathon goal time. Maybe its just more volume. Maybe its better control on my long medium long and long runs so that I'm able to run that higher volume.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Hail to The Victors!

I ran my 10 miles today in right at 1:20. Two years ago, that was faster than my Army 10 miler time and I spent the rest of the afternoon on the couch with the shakes after that race. I know I've improved.
                              Yeah, the person in the picture of your profile and the guy I ran with a few weeks ago look hella different. You've definitely increased fitness and gotten a lot faster!

Oh Mighty Wing

i know what's worked for me (and is still working for me) and countless others, but let's face it - you don't have interest in that. So you will just have to play and see if you can find something that works - if your goals are still to go sub 330