Marathon Trainers

Week of 2/9 (Read 307 times)

evanflein

I woke up this morning feeling very sad for Shan. Never even met her in person and I feel very sad for her. Sad I sure hope things work out ok... whatever that may be. I'd like to have my DH be more active, whether that be running or not. He was very athletic when he was young. Cross country skiing, running (he ran the Equinox when he was 8 or 9), basketball, football, etc, etc. Now he's 47, two knee surgeries and two shoulder surgeries behind him and he feels like whenever he tries to get back out there to do stuff, he gets hurt again. Now he's recovering from a nasty fall on the ice where he hurt his head and his back... We did some running together in Florida, which was fun. But by "together" I mean we went to the start together, compared plans and then took off. He does the run/walk thing and I do my run. He ran three days in a row down there, and did ok but was achy afterwards. Now I can't even get him to the gym. We have a treadmill and a bike at home; he rarely uses either. We also have weights at home, and a stability ball... Nada. I don't want to nag, but I do want him to do something. I invite him to the club, or even just a walk with the dog, and he rarely wants to do either. So... I don't know. He is signed up for the full marathon in Seattle in June... but I'm not sure what he plans on doing there. Cash, I'd just ignore her. But like Lou, I'm wondering what she does that got her the broom comment? Kimmie, echoing others here... I'm sure you'll be fine. Get some rest, run a little when you feel up to it, and have a good race! I'll run later tonight after DS2's basketball game. Dinner will be late again.

Oh Mighty Wing

I woke up this morning feeling very sad for Shan. Never even met her in person and I feel very sad for her. Sad I sure hope things work out ok... whatever that may be.
      Erika - please try not to feel sad for me. I am hopeful that whatever is supposed to happen will. I trust that I will walk the path that will make me happen and all of these bumbs in the road add character. I do hope that one day we get to meet so I can give you a HUGE hug!!!
        Upshot of the visit to the cardiologist is a. my home BP cuff is reading high -- this is a good thing -- still my blood pressure is high normal or stage 1 b. my meds stay the same for now -- no need to go on diuretic or other at this point c. I'll get an echo cardiogram to make sure no damage is being done to heart -- he said no rush, but I'm schedule to do this in a couple of weeks -- I'm not worried d. I should watch sodium but not go on sodium restriction -- he worries that I may need more salt than the average joe, and doesn't want to muck with my blood chemistry too much So all in all a good visit. I'll get a new BP cuff so I can get good metrics for the future.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Lou - that doesn't sound bad at all!! Smile

Dave

Lou, that sounds like very good news at the doctor. I've been borderline hypertensive for years now but have avoided medication by running at least to this point. Probably with the stress of the new job, I should think about getting on some light meds. Always nice to have a good example of someone who's proactively managing their health. Got a VERY good 5.6 miles in today at lunch. Huge runners high. Ran with the HRM and it let me pick up the pace to get to my 144HR ceiling. 8:32 pace and it felt effortless. I took 3 of the last 4 days off before it though so it may just have been getting some needed rest and recovery time. Makes me wonder if there isn't something to be said for cutback weeks. Back to the spouses exercising discussion, DW is in pretty good shape but doesn't really push herself running. She'll do various inclines on the TM mostly walking, some jogging but she hasn't really caught the bug. I've just got to let her come to it in her own time. She's in good shape though so I don't complain.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

evanflein

She's in good shape though so I don't complain.
              There's a smart man.

Oh Mighty Wing

Glad to hear the doc visit went well Lou! Got in a nice 6.5 mile run this afternoon. I'm really enjoying these doubles. One I get to run with my husband and the second, for some reason the second run feels just awesome. Like they are all warmed up.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Bugs

Lou, It amazes me you run so fast but yet have high blood pressure. See I run slow and have low. This makes no sense. Confused

Bugs

Dave

There's a smart man.
                      Don't confuse smart with well trained Big grin Great job on the double, Pam. Kimmie, you've got to be getting excited about the race this weekend. When do you leave?

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Happy Camper

Better run for me today. 6-miles, 8:49 avg pace, 149 avg HR. WRFB: Glad the BP news was good. What time of day do you take your readings? I've felt that post run afterglow can push readings to the high side. Bugs: Tried the butterknife Graston and it helped. My forearms have been hurting lots lately. Pam: Nice running! I can't run the National but there is a 1/2M I can do on 3/21. Looking forward to it!

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Thanks guys. I take my readings early in the morning before I run. The doctor agreed that's the right time to get an accurate reading. Running will elevate the readings during the run, and after the run they are generally lower than before by about 10 points. I checked today and that is what it was for me (even with my bad cuff). I bought a new cuff which will arrive in a few days. Bugs - who knows why I have high blood pressure? The doctor said sometimes a reason can be found, but normally 95% of the time not. Nice double, Pam!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Cashmason

Yay Lou ! Glad to hear its the machine and not you. Pam, I think you have close to 20 minutes for 5k in you. And it is often easier to have faith in someone else than in yourself. Bugs I hear you on the cost of races.

Bugs

Bugs: Tried the butterknife Graston and it helped. My forearms have been hurting lots lately.
                              Big grin SEE I'M NOT CRAZY. Sorry to hear about the forearm pain. Is it from computer? It can be nasty. Massage your palm too. A refresher on butterknife treatment. It will probably feel tingly and gritty. There can even be a sort of vibration feeling. When you've had the treatment it is very obvious what healthy tissue versus tissue with crap feels like. You can overdue it, so only glide two or three times over an area. I have seen my doc scrape pretty aggressively but since I'm self taught, I stay on the safe side. Tissue that is healing has more capallaries and the skin may bruise easy. If you see little red dots you should stop. Try to limit treatment to once a week. If it hurts more the next day or two don't freak, that's normal. It is invokes an inflammation that promotes healing. Shan, I will send an email to you. But like Erika I am worried about you too. My first good critique of my running from last week. I goofed. I should have bailed on my run Saturday when I got into it and knew my legs were not there. Was told I should have stopped and went out and ran Sunday, even 15-18 miles if I wanted. How happy would have I been to come back and report that, very.

Bugs

Bugs

Bugs I hear you on the cost of races.
                                I think it's a high priority for me though. However I have tons of running friends, I need to use and abuse them for a good workout. Smile Do any of you not use a garmin? I've been told to ditch the garmin for awhile. Run by feel, take the pressure of myself. I don't know, when I did that with the scale it didn't workout so well. Maybe it's the same with running by time.

Bugs