Marathon Trainers

Week of 2/9 (Read 307 times)

Bugs

I don't know. I bet most of us would guess "not far enough" and "not fast enough" and we'd probably be wrong on both counts. Wink
    It is WEIRD running by time, but I find I'm actually running longer distances. Running 30 minutes for a recovery is much smarter than running by distance and pace. You need to let the legs decide the effort and forget the distance. A general aerobic run might be 60 minutes, so instead of running 6 miles, I'm running 6.5 miles because I ran by time. I was told 20-45 for easy - recovery stuff. 75 minutes is a good workout, > 1:30 is considered hard, no matter what the pace. I really am growing attached to the training by time. I think for mid-packers is makes more sense. If you're running say a 12:00 min pace, should you go run 3.5 hrs every weekend? I don't think so. Coach thinks I can run 3:45 pretty easily, we'll see.

Bugs

Kimmie

Ok, let me jump in on this discussion... I like running with my Garmin- but I also like running without sometimes. Shan- sorry you had a hard time on your run... next one will be better. Bugs- it's got to be great to be coached by someone. I would love to do that someday. Lou- hope you figure out what's up with the BP. Erika, Pam, Paul, Dave, Jeremy, Murphy, Mr. I and anyone else I forgot- hey! I am getting excited about Myrtle Beach. We leave tomorrow. I have the forecast and it's not looking good- 40% chance of rain and breezy and high of 55. Don't know how that will work for me. I did run my fastest half marathon in a downpour- so you never know. And, my race strategy is: have a pace band, and try to run even splits the whole time... no starting out slow and speeding up- I'm not sure I can do that this time. I think that even will work because this is a flat course and it shouldn't be too crowded at the start. I do want to pace with someone, though. I hope that I can make a quick friend that wants to try to stay together. I'll let you guys know how it goes. 3:50- I can do it... Smile
        CAN"T WAIT to hear how your Marathon goes Kimmie! YOU are going to do GREAT!!! I think going for even splits is smart! Too bad it wasn't May and it wasn't Run for the Red cause I'd sure run with you! GOOD LUCK HUN! MTA: 3:50 YOU CAN DO IT!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Did my very first 400 interval workout this morning. Ran it with Dh so it wasn't a "hard" workout though it helped with my confidence. I was nervous since I've never done 400s before, that and I was doing them with Ken. Ken was right that his pace for 400's would be an easy workout for me, though due to his competiveness we ended up doing the last one more at the pace that need to be at (the only one where I actually felt it towards the end in my legs a bit). He was looking to do 2 sets of 4 however since he can be have aggressive time goals as well as his competiveness we stopped at 6. Our "cool down" (when is running up hill ever really a cool down lol) mile I screwed up. Dh said not to worry about running the hill with him so I didn't however I did eventually stop to wait for him to get close before starting back up. The second time I went to do that he politely told me to at least wait until he was right next to me before starting back running cause it's disenhartning (sp?) when he gets close and I start running and he can't catch up to me. Hopefully it won't take him too long to catch up with me. I mean he was the one with speed and I was the one with endurance. These were our splits we kept our recoveries to the the same time each 400 was. Interval 0.25 Mi 1:44 6:56 pace Interval 0.25 Mi 1:42 6:48 pace Interval 0.25 Mi 1:44 6:56 pace Interval 0.25 Mi 1:37 6:28 pace Interval 0.25 Mi 1:38 6:32 pace Interval 0.25 Mi 1:31 6 :04 pace

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Bugs

Bugs- it's got to be great to be coached by someone. I would love to do that someday.
            I've been on my own MOSTLY so far. Already I can tell it is harder and more work on both sides than I thought. It is very easy to misunderstand the guidiance and I am still required to use my head. I consider his help a huge gift and so I feel the least I can do is follow the advice 100%. That means switching shoes, running by time, leaving the garmin at home, so be it. I've just decided through June I'm going to do things his way and see what happens. You go for that 3:50, enjoy your marathon. Are you feeling better?

Bugs

evanflein

Go Kimmie!! I brought all my stuff to work to RAW, but it's colder than I thought it would be. Hmmm... so I have all day to decide to do the outdoor run in the snow, or go home and hop on the 'mill. 9 miles is the plan, don't care about pace.
                If you hop on the mill, I wouldn't bother with the garmin Tongue

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Kimmie

thanks you all.. yes, I'm feeling better... the sinus issues seem to be mostly gone. I've been emotionally a wreck lately though... so weird and hard to describe. Kind of a lot things... some running related and other stuff going on in life. So, I just hope it all comes together and in spite of some major holes in my training, I'm still able to do it. Some day, I'll try the butter knife thing... it just sounds painful.
                    GORGEOUS day today. Got in a nice easy 4.1 mile run after lunch. Probably a bit close to the interval workout this morning but oh well. Also have to remember a water bottel next interval day. Didn't drink enough today and during my afternoon run that was all I could think about.

Bugs

If you hop on the mill, I wouldn't bother with the garmin Tongue
                      Big grin

Bugs

Dave

8.1 hilly, trail run for me today. Legs felt dead and I probably pushed the hills too fast. 9:15 pace with my AHR up to 154. Strange run. They can't all be good ones but the miles are in the bank. I am a total Garmin nut. I almost want to go home if I don't have it. I even have run with it on the treadmill so that I get my HR splits. Pathetic, I know. Very nice intervals, Pam. Fast. Faster than I can run them, that's for sure. Big grin

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Those hilly runs on dead legs and pushing it harder then you should are great workouts! BTW seing your 5k PR I KNOW you can run your intervals MUCH faster than me! Thanks though Smile

So yesterday I had a total of 294.2 miles in 30 days. Today is 292.3 in the last 30 days. By this weekend I actually may have 300 miles in the past 30 days. Didn't expect that so soon!

Bugs

Those hilly runs on dead legs and pushing it harder then you should are great workouts!
                              Why do you say that?

Bugs

Kimmie

Had a great run today- 3 miles with some striders... it's nice when it's so pretty out. Bugs, your marathon was in bad weather, right? Any advice? I guess I'll start out with a garbage? not sure... Temp at the start: low 40s and rain I was wondering why Pam wrote that as well... maybe it makes you stronger?