Marathon Trainers

Week of 7/20 (Read 228 times)

I'm here -- got too busy to post this morning.  HRM was acting up so my real HR was lower than this shows.

6.2 miles, 56:32, 9:11/mi, AHR 146 (75% MHR)

Yikes - tomorrow I have 13 on the schedule.  Sheesh -- gotta get up early and cut my normal "getting ready" time down to 45 minutes.  Yeah, I usually take 60 minutes before I run to wake up, have coffee, read email, etc., etc.  I can do 45 but it seems rushed.  I have made it out in 15 minutes when I overslept a couple of times, though.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

evanflein

I'm here too. Finally. Got home late last night and still tired. Was in Seattle Sunday thru yesterday for meetings. I did get in a nice long run on Saturday, kind of like Lou's at 17.5 miles, 8:42 avg pace, no crash. That was nice. Got a little hot and didn't drink enough, but other than that it was all good. Sunday I ran in Discovery Park in Seattle, 7.8 miles total, a little hillier than I'd planned but it was all good. Several stops for site-seeing and crowded trail maneuvers. When it's sunny and 80F in Seattle on a Sunday afternoon, those parks and trails get crowded!! Then I ran a short recovery run Monday before all day in meetings.

Got in just shy of 54 miles last week. That's a lot for me, Pam would hardly notice it. I ran 14 days in a row, too, which is also a lot for me. So... Tuesday I thought I'd get up early and do a little tempo type run down by the waterfront, but when the alarm went off I clearly wasn't going anywhere. I haven't been sleeping well the past week or so, and like Bugs when that alarm sounded I finally WAS sleeping comfortably so I jus turned it off and rolled over. Felt a little guilty about it later on, but oh well. Yesterday was a rest day, with lots of walking all over Seattle.

Bugs, don't feel bad about the 5k. And I'm not a morning runner, either. I only do it when on business trips because there's no time otherwise. And I'm with Kimmie... I wouldn't have run early, in the dark, in the rain and alone. Nope.

Back at work today and feeling sort of out of sorts. I'll run some later, probably while DS2 is at soccer practice. I'm not sure what to do this week; want to be rested and ready for Sunday's race, but I also wanted to run over 40 miles this week.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I like running in the morning, but I hate getting out of bed when I'm tired or sleepy Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Kimmie

Hello you guys....

Erika, your run in Seatlle sounds awesome.

what's your race on Sunday?

Just got back from 7 miles...   Felt awesome... and this schedule I am following said 4.  I can't even remember where I got this schedule from, but I'm ready to bag it.  I like the idea of a schedule to keep me on track and somewhat and take the decision making out of it... but this one kind of stinks.  It's weird to me, to run 3 or 4 miles one day and then the next day, 9 miles and then 18 miles for a long run.  will someone send me a schedule that they're following for late October marathon?

And Bugs, I never got back to you about P90X.  I never got a copy and I've done terrible so far this summer with weight lifting.  I'm putting all personal trainers to shame.  

theyapper

On the road again...

Before I started running it wouldn't have mattered what time of day it was, I wasn't going.  I never thought I'd pick early morning until last summer when it was just so hot - early mornings were the only shot at beating the heat.  Now, I would pick early morning hands down.  Of course, i don't always make it out the door, which is why I just got back from 3 miles in 90F heat.  Hated it.

Kim, I'm following the Intermediate 1 plan from Hal Higdon.  I like it so far, mainly because it has practically no speedwork and that fits where I am right now.  It may not be enough for you since you've been running a lot longer than I have.  Anyway, it's at http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/Mar00intermediate.htm if you're interested.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Dave

Sorry to fall off the face of the virtual earth guys.

Running has stopped.  Will try and get back at it soon.  Work started today.  Big ceremony and such.  My father is in town which is nice but makes running more difficult.  Will catch up.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

It's weird to me, to run 3 or 4 miles one day and then the next day, 9 miles and then 18 miles for a long run.  will someone send me a schedule that they're following for late October marathon?

Mine is early October, but it's kinda like yours.  I ran 6 today, and will (try to) run 13 tomorrow.

See http://www.lousbrews.info/Training.htm (it's also in my signature, under 'Training')

Dave - moving and changing jobs is tough -- you'll be back at it soon, I'm sure.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Mine is early October,

Hey we're not going to see you at Baltimore are we?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

PS: I may have picked up a relay leg for ChesapeakeMan this year - the run part, of course - which may well be as close as I ever get to doing an ironman myself, so I plan to enjoy it, esp. seeing people doing an ironman live.

PPS: I actually looked at the JFK 50M website tonight, but 2009 is sold out. I mean, that sounds frighteningly far (to me), but I've heard that after a technical start, it is a towpath route for the rest, and that's what I want for my first ultra -- nice easy flat towpath Smile

Cashmason

Last night may have been the last run for a while.   Significant pain in the lower abdomen, feels like a torn muscle.
                      evanflein

Oh no, Cash, what'd you do?? You're the sore knee/ITB guy, remember? What's this ab stuff? Hope it's just a sore spot and will clear up soon.

Kimmie, Sunday's race is the Gold Discovery Run. Mix of trails, hills and roads. Check out this profile.

16.5 miles, very hilly and not all downhill (although that profile makes it look that way). The hardest part is the last 2.5 miles, with the last mile being a gradual uphill. After all that up and down, and down down down, your legs are shot and it's always a struggle to the end. But there's free beer and burgers waiting for you, so you make the best of it! My best time is 2:13 something, and I'm hoping for between 2:15 and 2:20 this year. If we do get rain up there between now and then (up on the hill) the first 8 miles can be treacherously muddy. It's a lot of fun; my favorite race!!

We had a dense smoke advisory  by the time I got off work. It sucks too because this morning and early afternoon were really nice! So, not wanting to deep breath that crap for an hour, I headed downstairs to run 8.2 on the treadmill. A progressive pace run, 8:33 avg pace with the first 2 @ 8:49, next 2 @ 8:34, next 2 @ 8:20, next mile @ 8:13, last 1.2 @ 8:34 again. I'd wanted to do the last 2 @ 8:13, but just didn't have it in me.

Aw, gee, Cash -- that stinks.

Speaking of stinks -- those forest fires are rough -- do you get those every year?  Gold Discovery looks like a quad killer -- the beer and burgers are going to be great at the end.  (nice run)

Perry - no not Baltimore -- Corning, NY, then Newport, RI in October.  We're thinking about doing the JFK one of these years - it seems like everyone in our running club has run it (I know it just seems like that though Smile )

theyapper

On the road again...

Sorry to hear about your abs, Cash.  Hope that gets better soon.

Rest day today.  Good running, everyone.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Bugs

Dave,

Get running. It sucks to get your fitness back.

Erika,

WOW! You are amazing.

Lou,

You are coming back so strong. I think about you often when my runs seem hard and I know just fight it like Lou did.

PDR,

I need a shoulder update? I probably missed it. But know I'm thinking about you.

Kim,

Don't feel bad about weight training. Seriously working all your muscles I'm finding is very time consuming. The ab workouts are 3-20 minute workouts. The arms, shoulders and back are at least 2-60 minutes. Yoga is twice a week at 90 minutes a pop, which I end up skipping most of the time.  I may look like I'm dogging it at 35 mpw, but when you think of the miles you could run in that XTing time, I don't think so!

I miss my old fitness. I'm not sure if it is injury related, I just get tight (need to foam roll much more) but I'm stubborn as hell you know. I ran at 5:45 a.m. today. Like heaven compared to running at 5:00 a.m. Double four mile runs yesterday, a real strong eight mile today, and 11-12 miles tomorrow at 4:45 a.m so the long run is out of the way. (I'm off tomorrow so I can take a nap on the way to camp site.) I'm camping this weekend and going to keep running under and hour. My inlaws will be so impressed.

I don't feel bad at all for going back to bed on Tuesday. One thing Nobby taught me, and I really agree with is that you have to have good workouts. That means being rested and not sleeping through your run. He used to say, if you know it's not your day, just pack it up, save it for later.

Bugs

Hail to The Victors!

Sorry to fall off the face of the virtual earth guys.

Running has stopped.  Will try and get back at it soon.  Work started today.  Big ceremony and such.  My father is in town which is nice but makes running more difficult.  Will catch up.

Get out there! Don't you have a race on Saturday afternoon? ;-)

8 easy today maybe 8.5.  The new windows are in and installed in the house, so had a couple of hectic days, including a running free Tuesday.  The only casualty is the custom blinds in the bedroom window, which need to be completely replaced, as the brackets no longer fit inside the window because of the flashing they installed is much thicker than the old flashing.   Maybe cellulose shades and curtains this time...

Race on Satuday afternoon, 8K.  Looking forward to it!