Marathon Trainers

Week of 9/7 (Read 302 times)

Oh ya you're in Florida. BTDT with running there. That's when a treadmill comes in handy Smile BTW if your stupid for thinking the meeting was today instead of tomorrow than I am REALLY stupid lol. I totally was a day off for most of last week. Totally screwed up my milage but such is life

Shan my 100 mile bar is gone lol. As funky as it made my log look I kinda miss it, course not enough to go out and do another one anytime soon lol

Well got my first run of the day done! I thought about doing one run of 8-9 however I was too hungry to do much more than 5.5.  I'm hoping to get out for my second run before kids get home, we shall see.

BTW today went pretty well considering  somehow neither Katie or Frankie's alarm got set. They also both had to take showers this morning. Frankie refused last night and Katie didn't get home from her friends brothers football game until 7:30. 

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

evanflein

I used to have one take showers in the morning and one take them at night. Worked out pretty well, now they're both on the a.m. shower schedule. Of course, they like to use my shower (we fixed up our bathroom, theirs is still old stuff) so we get quite a line up for morning showers at our house!

Tough run, Bryan. Sounds like you just ran out of gas? Live and learn, I guess. It's hard to train and work so hard for something and then have it fizzle out on race day, but that happens. Like you said, plan for the next one.

Pam, you could just go do a 100 miler every month or so and keep that bar there. What's the problem? I think if you just back off a bit on your Friday and Saturday runs you'll be fine. Maybe cut Saturday down to just 3-4 easy with some striders. You're not trying to PR this half, right? You've got enough base to not worry about it too much. Use it as a tempo-paced training run.

Ok, I'll bite. What's Plyo?

Didn't run yesterday. Spent almost the whole day cleaning my disaster of a house. Looks much better, but I'm more sore than if I'd run a hilly half marathon! I'll RAL today, but not sure how much.

Dave

I'm going to be off the net for a couple of weeks with a business trip.

Train well, guys.  I'll have a few photos to share when I get back.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Dave - be safe!!!

Pam - oooohhhh yeah i get that... my cool marathon a week graph is quickly disappearing...

Erika - plyo = plyometric = exercises based on the priciple of a contraction followed by an explosive action. Examples are skipping, line jumps, exaggerated lunges, high knees, and bounding.

Bugs

Well I've read about half, and wanted to buzz in. I'm very sore from the weekend. I need to start thinking "rest" on these three day weekends instead of cramming everything in.

Pam,

I agree with JellyFish, do what you want. You don't have to be in PR shape to race.

Pace,

Sorry you had a tough day. My 4:41 was the toughest marathon I ever ran.

JellyFish,

Is Phily still open? My running partner is injured and no longer wants to fly to run a winter marathon. So that leaves me to making my own plans. If I could run like 17-18 miles feeling good I'd probably do it but I'll probably just bail on the whole idea.

Lately I don't sign up for races because I don't feel ready, but I seem to also lack the motivation to get ready. (Not all bad because I have a really happy husband and kids right now.)  I ran 15 miles yesterday and has a hard time convincing myself to go out and run that far, and then when I did I was pist because I felt really out of shape. I think I need to be around other runners to keep the motivation to run more, and NOT eat like a human garbage machine. So to start, I'm running a 5K on Saturday even though it will be a "fun" run where I want to puke at the end.

Bugs

OMG I HATE HOUSEWORK Erika!!! My to do list seems to just get longer and longer cause it takes so much just to keep up on the regular work. That's where my ADD gets me into trouble. I'll start something then have to move on cause I'm too bored, then I'll forget to get back to it. Drives ME NUTS!!!

Be Safe and see you when you get back! Hope you're able to get some running in as well Dave!

It should be really easy for me to PR at the Half since my HM PR is so soft. Dh says to go for 1:45 if not lower however the last time I really raced was my first Half Marathon and I had Ken as my bunny (he was much faster than I was at the time). I have wayyyyyyyyy too much stuff going on in my heads so it's hard for me to focus like I need to unless I have a bunny (someone I know and trust). For awhile I thought I lacked the drive however I now realize it's focus that I lack hence why I just run. I'm hoping the mental crap I went through during my 100 miler will help me when it comes to racing. NO pain (other than injury) can match the mental crap I went through during that!

You sure you want to do Philly Bugs??? I know it's just my opinion but  the weather always sucks there. Having a Half and Marathon start at the same time and same place SUCKS. It's also not all that. I've done it twice and plan on never doing it again.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Oh Mighty Wing

Bugs - i'm signed up. I'm sure it's still open.

Bugs

Pam,

Probably not, but if I went it be fun to go run one where I knew somebody. I should really stick to my plan and run lots of small races. Problem is I'm not doing the small or the big ones.

Erika,

Feel your pain on the house work. I have all these kitchen designer ladies looking in my cubbards and heaven forbid their are toaster crumbs in the draw.

Bugs

I hear ya Bugs! There's always Steamtown Wink

I am TIRED, I am SOOOOOOOOO tired. During my second run all I could think about was going to bed! I told dh that I didn't care what he was doing at 9 but that I was going to bed!  I can not function on anything less than 8 hours, though I'm used to around 10. Gotta get back on school sleeping schedule! And I don't even know why I went out for a second run just a few hours after the first. I would have been better off just combing the two runs into 1. I can't eat enough today. I am soooooooooooo off and I have to get back on if I'm going to be able to do 12 miles worth of hills tomorrow. I wish I could just take a few days off and things would be better however that's not how it works with my body *sigh* Hate it when the furnace is burning way too hot! Hopefully it won't take long for my body to adjust to running & weight lifting

Cashmason

Vix,

Beach running is all about the slope of the sand.   If it is flat,  your knees should be fine.

If the sand tilts a lot towards the water,  then one leg will always be uphill of the other as you run, and this can put pressure on the knees and IT band.

Here in Southern California,  we have both types of beaches.

Oh Mighty Wing

Cash - sounds like it's the same as the roads - if it's graded it's gonna hurt a hurt leg. How are you by the way?

Pam - so i'm sitting around last night STARVING, but trying to tell myself there is no way i should be hungry... well I checked my log and realized I hadn't ate as much as I thought... SWEET!!! So I got to have cereal!

yesterday my legs and hips felt really tired/sore (like post marathon). I went to bed early and slept really really well! I feel 100% better this morning! My legs feel all better! My hip flexors are still sore.

Oh Mighty Wing

oh and i don't know if this was shown, but...

theyapper

On the road again...

Great pics!  Thanks for pasting them in, JF.

Had a nice 5 miler this morning at a bit quicker pace than most of my easy runs, but it still felt good.  Now for coffee and a busy day.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Awwwwwwwww what a cutie!!! Thanks for posting them Shan!

LOL@ having cereal. Gotta love it when you realize damn I haven't eaten enough and then you go for cereal (btdt)

Today will be my first day back at hills in a couple months. I hope I'm excited doing them as I am right now lol. 

HAPPY HUMP DAY PEEPS!

Oh Mighty Wing

haha I wanted a sundae so bad... I think it's because my body is in overdrive trying to heal it so I just want sugar... the cereal is Kashi cinnamon wheaties so it sort of has a sweet taste to it... It's the only junk food in my house.

yeah for hills!!