Marathon Trainers

Week of 9/7 (Read 302 times)

If I happen to be at the same race as you Shan, you will know Smile

GOOD LUCK Bugs at your 5k!! BTW I would NEVER laugh at anyone's time. I've had slowers (than me) refuse to run with me until they realized my philosophy.  We are all on our own journey when it comes to our running. There are many many roads to take. Sometimes we are alone sometimes we're not. At times we may be in front , at times we may be in the middle or the back. The only thing that really matters is that WE ARE RUNNING!!  

NICE RUN Paul!!! Way to get out there so early and put the miles in!

As for me I have a short run to do sometime today. I was hoping to have a family day however seems that everyone is doing their own thing right now.  Thanksfully I don't have to worry about picking up my race packet today so I don't have to get to my destination until around dinner time. The butterflies have officially invaded my body!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Kimmie I believe racing on a beautiful course does have it's advantages!  I'm not sure that running on boring trails increases mental toughness though. Of course I probably shouldn't be the one to listen to since I tend to go deep inside myself while running and not notice alot. My brain is always on overdrive!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Bugs - good luck on your 5K -- all times are relative, and whatever you run will be right for you.

TY -- 18, woohoo!  Nice run!

Kimmie - most of my runs are in my neighborhood, and while I like to say hi to people there during the week I neveer see anyone because it's so early.  And dark.  But I don't think that helps or hurts me for racing.

5.1 miles, 45:55, 9:05/mi, AHR 139 (71% MHR) -- HR is high because HRM went wacko in the last mile

Finally brewing again -- haven't brewed since June.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Oh Mighty Wing

If I happen to be at the same race as you Shan, you will know Smile

Good!!! Well GOOD LUCK!!! and KICK SOME BUTT!!!!

Bugs - GOOD LUCK!!

TY - nice 18

Lou - nice brewing!

I ran 5 this morning, got 18 on tap for tomorrow...

Thanks Shan, btw I won't be anywhere near Maryland. Have fun and enjoy your 18. Like you I have 17-18 on tap so I may either do a couple mile warm up, HM, few mile cool down or maybe 5-6 easy after the HM.

Got in 3.1 this morning in the rain. Wore long sleeves and overheated lol. Time for some crazyoldfishwar before heading out on the road.

Hope everyone has a GREAT WEEKEND!!!!

Bugs

5K race, 24:01, ran it 22:50 three years ago. Sad  Compared to how I ran the ragnar relay (where I ran uphill at 8:10 pace) I think I had a bad day. Did not sleep well last night (was thinking about how to remodel this dang kitchen), but it's okay. I'm just more motivated to work harder now. There is another 5K on Saturday, will try again. Think my mantra might be "RACE More". Awesome shirts at least.

Baby sitting for a friend today. Five kids at my house. Boy are we having fun, but these kids are going to need a bath when they get home!

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

Bugs - bad races happen... you will kick butt at the next one.

Pam - was hopin to cheer you on! hehe guess I will have to cheer silently!!! I'll be thinkin about ya tomorrow - GO KICK BUTT!!!!

evanflein

Bugs, it's all good. Consider it a base to work up from (or down, in the case of time!). You're lucky to have so many 5k races going on that you can try again real soon. And sounds like the kids are having a good time if they definitely need baths!

GL Pam, but I think you're long gone. I don't remember what race she's doing, either.

Nice 18 miler Paul, is that your longest run so far?

Yay! Lou is brewing again! Woohoo! Oh, wait... I won't get any. Pooh. It does seem like a long time since you've brewed. Not too soon to start planning the Boston batch, right? 

I went up the hill and ran the out-and-back section of the course. My time was 51:50 or something, for just under 10 min. pace. Not too bad, but I did have more of that "noodle leg" feeling than I'd like. We were up pretty late last night, partying with some friends and had a GREAT time, so I guess some tiredness was worth it. Tomorrow I think I'll do the whole hill one last time before the race next week (eeek!), then I'll just do pretty easy stuff the rest of the week. The last week before the race is always problematic for me. I want to run, but know I also need to rest and stay off my foot as much as possible. That's why I do a lot of pool running that last week (did 30 minutes today, too).

DS1 was at a cross-country invitational meet today in Palmer, and ran a new PR of 19:38. Sure wish he'd work out more often, I bet that time would be a slow one for him if he worked more consistently at it.

theyapper

On the road again...

Sorry your race didn't go as well as you'd hoped, Bugs.

Yes, that 18 miler is my longest to date.  Cutback week next week and then my first 20 mile run in 2 weeks.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Sorry about the race, Bugs.  You have a good attitude though.

Erika - any ideas for the brew for Boston?  PDR said something about flying, though, so I don't know for sure if we'll be bringing anything.

Ran the C&O Canal tow path this morning -- about 65-75° and 77% humidity.  It was a good run though -- nice and shady.

20.2 miles, 2:56:38, 8:45/mi, AHR 148 (76% MHR)

5@9:08(136), 10@8:44(148), 5.18@8:25(159)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

just lost a whole freaken post with my race report. Here is a Synopsis of it.

Slept bout 2 hours last night . Woke up grumpy. Got to trail head way early. Got 3 easy miles in and was surprised that the trail had no crushed stone on it. It was pretty much thick muddy dirt. Like running in the wet sand. Changed running plan from MP to Moderate pace (between easy and medium) 2 water stops one pee stop (need to sew something shut)  Ran miles 7- around 11 by myself. Around mile 12 a young man who had been trailing behind me catches up and askes me if I have anything left in the tank. I almost laughed allowed (thankgoodness I didn't) Said I sure do, to which he responded wanna pick it up a bit. Sure I said. Unfortunately I lost him about half mile later. Passed many peeps even coming into the last stretch. From the turn around only 2 people passed me (which surprised me) Didn't PR (well for a trail hm I did)  HOWEVER I got 2nd place in my agegroup which I'm thoroughly pleased by.

Anyway managed to get to the Scout picnic to find that poor Frankie is having pain in his left shoulder and side ( I think strained muscle near his ribs) which depending on his position makes it hurt to breath. Needless to say the 5-8 miler DH and I were going to do together after we dropped the twins off at party didn't happen. Instead Ken took Katie then went out for his run. I'm home with Frankie and will get my run in after picking Katie up and Ken gets home.

Hope everyone is having a WONDERFUL Sunday!

Oh Mighty Wing

18 down... and i have to be honest - I will NEVER run another race if I cannot race it. I spent 13.1 miles with the mantra "do not race" "no more than 65% HR" ...  how awful to be in a race, want to race so bad you can taste it, and not race...  oh well it was still a really strong 18 for me. 38 minutes faster than last weeks 18, felt stronger and easier, and didn't need any fuel. Must be doing something right!

PAM - AWESOME JOB!!!! glad it went well!!

PATIENCE SHANNON PATIENCE!!  Change the mindset! If not it will be a LONG time if ever that you will  truely  be satisfied!  I can understand about doing a race at 65% hear rate being hard however running a race at a faster pace than what you normally do during training runs can really help! I don't know about anyone else but if I have the chance to do a workout in a race that doesn't cost much or that far to travel I'm willing to do at least one during a training schedule.  Beats going out and doing that workout by myself with no "atmosphere"

MTA: Thanks!

Bugs

Paul,

You"re doing GREAT. I'm so excited for you. You're going to have a really wonderful first marathon experience.

Erika,

I can't get my son to practice either. He needs to practice for black belt test and plus he wanted to do Halloween 5K and wanted him to run a little. Oh well, he's only eight maybe I'm pushing it.

Pam,

Great job on the trail HM.

Shannon,

I agree about not running races as training runs. I've ran with you. I can tell you want to race. Does your training include any shorter races?

Lou,

Nice long run!!

15 miles avg pace 9:01, got kind of dark on the way back but was good run. Never know what the LR is going to be like after 5K but was good today.

Bugs

evanflein

Pam, what was your time? Good job to get 2nd AG in the mud and drop the young punk who threw down the challenge. Gotta love it.

I ran the same 13 mile run I did last Saturday, but this time with a friend. We run well together, but we talk too much on the walk breaks (and yes, on this course there ARE walk breaks). But it's ok, just a couple minutes slower than last week and last week I met another friend when I was going up the hill and he was coming down... we both needed a break so stopped our watches and talked for about 10 minutes. I'm sure than helped me go faster overall last week as well. So, all the hard work is done. This week will be just easy stuff and I hope two, maybe three, times of pool running to really give all the tired bits time to fully recover and be ready for Saturday.